water intake

Options
My name is Suzy and I have been with myfitnesspal since November 12. I do not like to drink water so I use a large coffee cup that holds 2 cups. Then I only have to drink 4 of these to get my 8 cups of water! I do not use ice because tap water is easier to drink. Hope this helps someone else!

Replies

• mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I also have trouble drinking enough water during the day. One way I try to get more is by drinking 2 cups right when I wake up, before I eat breakfast. It helps fill me up too so I don't eat too much a breakfast.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I have to get down 80 minimum because of kidney issues and I do the same.. slam 16oz first thing in the am with my meds/vitamins.

Then I fill my water bottle at work(16oz) and choke that down before lunch. I force another 16 oz down with lunch and another 16oz during the afternoon.

That only leaves me with 16oz in the evening to slam with my evening meds/dinner. Then I TRY for a small 8oz glass before bed.... for good measure.
  • Mav3rick54
    Mav3rick54 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Just a thought....if you don't like water, there a lot of ways to flavor it without adding any calories. Might make drinking more enjoyable.
  • Lexi507
    Lexi507 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Have you tried drinking water through a straw? Give me a cup of water and I'll never get around to drinking it. Give me a glass with a straw and it seems to disappear.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I carry a 20-24 oz bottle with me, with water. Having it there makes it a lot easier to drink. There are many times when, otherwise, I wouldn't bother to get up for a drink, but since it's there, I drink it. It really helps!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    If you don't like plain water, don't drink plain water. It's that simple. Everything you drinks (except hard liquor) hydrates you no differently than water would. You also don't need to worry about any arbitrary amount of water, barring a specific medical condition. Drink when you're thirsty, stop when you aren't.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Why are you stressing so much about drinking 8 cups of water? Is there something special about 8 cups that I don't know about?
  • eris1981
    eris1981 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I carry a 20-24 oz bottle with me, with water. Having it there makes it a lot easier to drink. There are many times when, otherwise, I wouldn't bother to get up for a drink, but since it's there, I drink it. It really helps!

This. I tend to mindlessly drink if it's convenient. Also sometimes I don't realize I was thirsty until I take a sip and I'm like, oh that's so much better let me drink more!

And with the not bothering to get up for a drink, whenever I do get up if my bottle or cup's more than half empty, I try to remember to refill it so that there's always some there.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Why are you stressing so much about drinking 8 cups of water? Is there something special about 8 cups that I don't know about?
    I hear if you finish 8 cups, unicorns magically appear when you sleep.

Of course, since I'm asleep, I never get to see them.
  • alison81az
    alison81az Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have a 32 ounce cup and keep one of those small squeezable lemon juices at my desk. The lemon makes me drink a lot of water, definitely over a gallon a day.
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options

other than it says to drink 8 cups a day at the bottom of your diary, no real reason and some "medical experts" have claimed that drinking this amount is not necessary and could in fact be harmful. Be mindful of what you drink but, as said, barring medical info for specific issues, don't force yourself to drink more than you want or you may find yourself resenting it more and hating it more etc. and so on making it hard to even drink water when in fact you do need it.

Lemon in water, warm in the morning is said to help with digestive issues, but I never saw any benefit other than the water tasting better. Cucumbers, berries, citrus...I'm sure there's more things to add... will add flavor without calories or with very few if you don't eat the solids.
  • kmtbeaulieu
    kmtbeaulieu Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If you're not a fan of the simplistic ways (berries, lemon,etc) try a Mio, Nestle, etc flavoring. Mio kind of reminds me of Gatorade or Powerade. Nestle kind of like juice, a little on the sweet side. Take a walk down the water or Juice section they're usually mixed into those section read the flavors for each and try a few. Remember to play with the concentration (one squirt, two squirt etc.) some are naturally sweet the others not. That being said I love water but once and awhile I love to add these in to make it interesting. But I'm also a huge fan of the simplistic ways fruit and water, I like leaving the fruit in there for a day to infuse them a bit.
  • arcana7609
    arcana7609 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I used to hate water. Here is some things I did to help myself.

Instead of drinking tea or soda with my meals. I drink water with meals because the food disguises the bland taste of the water.

Then I started sipping water at work. I don't like just drinking something it gives me a stomach ache. So in a ten hour shift I sip. I used to sip a 32 oz powerade and I would drink some of it put it back in the fridge and get it out and sip it the next day. Sometimes it would take me 3 days to drink a 32 oz powerade. I think one of the reasons I am so fat is that I get my liquid from food, because I just hate drinking.

I bought a filtered pitcher. I put mine in the fridge so it's nice and crisp and cold. If you drink water and nothing else after a while you prefer it. I still have soda every once in a while, but when I do have it I find myself now preferring water. Now I drink 34oz of water in an 8 hour shift. Sometimes I don't finish the entire thing.

I also try to slam 8 oz of water in the morning when I take my thryoid pill as the medication suggests.
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I love camelback water bottles ( the Better Bottle with Bite valve). Something about that bottle makes me down the whole thing in no time.
    Also instead of lemon, I use lime juice occasionally to flavor my water. When I was pregnant with my second, that was the only way I could stand water. I'm not a big fan of artificial sweeteners so I try to stay away from mio and crystal light type things ( they are just way too sweet in my opinion and make me water more real sugar). Once I flavored my water with apple slice and cinnamon sticks (let it sit in the fridge overnight), that was really good but I felt it was a waste of a whole apple
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who loves water? It's just about all I drink, and I've always been like that. I usually have a big 32 oz cup of water with me at all times (unless I'm out and about, of course, but then I'll still have a big bottle in my purse) and can easily drink 3-4 a day (equivalent to 12-16 8 oz glasses).

Maybe instead of drinking water because you feel you have to, just keep a big glass or bottle of water handy and around you at all times. Chances are you'll go for it more often than not whenever you're feeling thirsty.
  • SillaWinchester
    SillaWinchester Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Have you tried drinking water through a straw? Give me a cup of water and I'll never get around to drinking it. Give me a glass with a straw and it seems to disappear.

Glad to know I'm not the only person who does this! :)
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I drink through a straw most of the time too! Maybe that's why I easily drink so much water. So yes, do that.
  • AmyML44
    AmyML44 Posts: 11
    Options
    That's the way it is for me too. I drink a lot more water if it has ice and a straw. A squeeze of lemon juice is nice too.
  • BenPVolk
    BenPVolk Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Was watching a tv show with a fitness guru to the stars and she said if you take your weight and cut it in half that's the number of ounces you're supposed to drink... Seems WAY excessive to me... Maybe if you weigh yourself in kilos... I still don't drink even that much water though.
  • arcana7609
    arcana7609 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Was watching a tv show with a fitness guru to the stars and she said if you take your weight and cut it in half that's the number of ounces you're supposed to drink... Seems WAY excessive to me... Maybe if you weigh yourself in kilos... I still don't drink even that much water though.

So by that standard I should drink 200oz of water a day...:noway: