help me makeover my baked ziti please!

Options

Replies

• KarissaA
    KarissaA Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I would start by cutting the mozzarella down to a half pound.

Another option is to plan ahead for the day and eat lower cal the rest of the day.
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    Baked Ziti (from the biggest loser family cook book )

Olive oil spray
    1(14 1/2 oz) box fiber enriched ziti or penne rigate ( I used Ronzoni Smart Taste)
    1 (15 oz) container fat free ricotti cheese
    2 large egg whites
    8 ounces (4 cups) finely shredded reduced fat mozzarella cheese
    1/4 tsp garlic powder
    salt to taste
    ground black pepper to taste
    crushed red pepper flakes to taste
    Main Event Marinara Sauce or 3 1/2 cups other low fat , low sodium marinara
    2 Tbsp grated reduced fat Parmesan cheese

Preheat the oven to 450. Lightly list a 13x9x2 ceramic or glass baking dish with olive oil spray. Cook the ziti according to package directions until al dente. Drain. In large mixing bowl mix the ricotta, egg whites, and all but 1 cup of the mozzarella until well combined . Add the garlic powder and season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Stir in the cooked pasta until well combined . Spread 1 cup of the marinara sauce on the bottom of the prepared dish . Add half of the pasta in an even layer over the sauce. Top the pasta evenly with another 1 cup sauce. Layer the remaining pasta over the sauce. Spoon the remaining 1 1/2 cups sauce evenly over the top of the pasta, the sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and the parmesan over the top. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes, Remove the foil and bake 10 minutes longer, or until the mozzarella is melted. Let stand 5 minutes. Cut into 8 pieces or spoon among 8 bowls and serve.

Makes 8 servings..Per serving: 350 calories, 22 g protein, 57g carbs, 6g fat 20mg cholesterol 8g fiber 429mg sodium

Main Event Marinara sauce

Olive oil spray
    1 cup minced yellow or white onion
    2 Tbsp freshly minced garlic
    1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
    1/4 cup water
    2 Tbsp. no salt added tomato paste
    2 tsp. honey
    1 tbsp. dried oregano
    2 tsp dried basil
    1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
    salt to taste (optional)

Spray a medium nonstick saucepan with the olive oil spray and place over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until just becoming tender (they should not brown), 4 to 6 minutes.Reduce the heat to low and with a wooden spoon stir in the tomatoes, water, tomato paste, honey, oregano, basil, and pepper flakes until we combined. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for at least 1 hour. Season with salt if needed.

Makes 7(1/2 cup) servings: about 3 1/2 cups sauce
    Per Serving: 63 calories, 3g protein, 15g carbs, less than 1g fat, 3g fiber 156mg sodium

Both of these recipes are yummy ..Enjoy:smile:
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Have you tried 96% lean beef? Which ingredient has the most calories? Maybe you can substitute something else for it. Or how about half beef and half turkey? If you cook the turkey in some beef broth and mix it with the beef well, your mother may not even notice.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Ground beef grosses me out - that gristle and grease, yuck! I only use ground turkey. But don't use the 99% lean turkey - it's too dry. Cut out some of the cheese. Don't use canned meat sauce, just use marinara (i make my own) - why would you need meat sauce if you're already adding your own meat? :drinker:
  • evilqueenT
    evilqueenT Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    we use either whole wheat pasta or the barilla white fiber pasta. use reduced fat cheeses. change your sauce from either meat jar sauce to a traditional jar sauce or a combo of part can sauce (like hunt's or whatever brand you prefer) and part crushed tomatoes (especially yummy if you can add fresh herbs like oregano, basil, or italian parsley, or some fresh garlic or onion if those are items you like. and use a smaller quantity and extra lean ground beef (no 80/20).
  • mals30
    mals30 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I LOVE all Italian dishes...but since cutting out all dairy, processed foods and gluten, It's rare that I get to indulge :/ However, I still have managed to get my fix in. I use gluten free noodles (usually made out of quinoa or brown rice flour)...tastes great and you honestly can't tell the difference. WAY more nutrients. Also, I use ricotta nut cheese instead of ricotta. Sounds seriously crazy, but it's honestly SO good and you can't tell the difference. My fiance eats meat daily and usually turns his nose up to my meals, but I made lasagna with this nut cheese, and it's his favorite lasagna recipe now. So simple to make too! Here's the link: http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2010/06/vegan-chive-ricotta-nut-cheese-spread.html

I also would sub a large can or two of italian spiced crushed tomatoes with sauteed onions and garlic (in coconut oil). Saves on calories! I don't eat meat, so removing the beef would be an instant calorie saver. Maybe try adding veggies (peppers, onions, etc.) instead.
  • shortrest
    shortrest Posts: 11
    Options
    You might get a fair reduction by using regular sauce without meat. Maybe a basil tomato. Or do a four cheese sauce and leave the parmesian out of it, but I think parmesian is low in calories anyway. I would be doing sausage instead of hamburger, bigger flavor. Calories are higher though.

Honestly, my solution would be a five mile run followed by wa ting all the ziti...

And ignore a suggestion to sub cottage cheese for ricotta. Its so wrong, I dont know where to begin...

I'd rather sub a little cottage cheese than run 5 miles any day.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You might get a fair reduction by using regular sauce without meat. Maybe a basil tomato. Or do a four cheese sauce and leave the parmesian out of it, but I think parmesian is low in calories anyway. I would be doing sausage instead of hamburger, bigger flavor. Calories are higher though.

Honestly, my solution would be a five mile run followed by wa ting all the ziti...

And ignore a suggestion to sub cottage cheese for ricotta. Its so wrong, I dont know where to begin...

I'd rather sub a little cottage cheese than run 5 miles any day.

Forget the cottage cheese. Nonfat ricotta is 45 calories for 1/4 of a cup... it's about the same as nonfat cottage cheese. I don't know why people are trying to switch something that won't even save calories.

I agree though, using a ton of beef plus some meat sauce just seems overkill. Just use plain sauce.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    as it is, it's 600+ cals a serving. yikes.

when i buy for it, i buy part skim ricotta and low fat mozzarella, but aside from that i dont really know how to make this lighter. under 500 would be an improvement.

as-is:
    1 pound ground beef
    2 jars meat sauce
    1 pound ziti
    8oz ricotta
    16 oz mozz (8 for the top, 8 to mix in)
    maybe a cup of parm if i remember.

when my mom makes it, she goes all out and its epic. totally epic. *but* i cant eat enough of it to feel satisfied, which really sucks. i have to not eat half the day to really enjoy it, and thats no fun either. and i still have to skip the garlic toast.

i dont know how to make my own sauce. it's generally frowned upon to use ground turkey instead of beef, but when mom's not here i can do it. (i prefer it, but i'm not the only cook in the house) i'd take it out of the meal plan, but i'd probably get divorced. ;) and its one of the few meals the kids EAT.

You might try using:
    1 lb ground turkey
    2 jars tomato sauce (not meat sauce there are healthier options or you could use one and sub a large can of tomatoes)
    Ziti (does it come in whole wheat or multi grain?)
    Ricotta - reduced fat and maybe half or 3/4 the amount
    Mozza - reduced fat and half or 3/4 the amount
    parmesan - half a cup

I really think it's the cheese that increases the cals in this so cut back on that - looks good I may have to try it
  • darleneasher328
    darleneasher328 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I make this at least every other month, family and friends love it.

Original recipe makes 10 servingsChange Servings
    1 pound dry ziti pasta
    1 onion, chopped
    1 pound lean ground beef
    2 (26 ounce) jars spaghetti sauce
    6 ounces provolone cheese, sliced
    1 1/2 cups sour cream
    6 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
    2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
    Check All Add to Shopping List
    Directions

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add ziti pasta, and cook until al dente, about 8 minutes; drain.
    In a large skillet, brown onion and ground beef over medium heat. Add spaghetti sauce, and simmer 15 minutes.
    Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter a 9x13 inch baking dish. Layer as follows: 1/2 of the ziti, Provolone cheese, sour cream, 1/2 sauce mixture, remaining ziti, mozzarella cheese and remaining sauce mixture. Top with grated Parmesan cheese.
    Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until cheeses are melted.
  • darleneasher328
    darleneasher328 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I use reduced fat cheese and light sour cream.
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I brown my beef, then drain and rinse it under running water. This significantly reduces the amount of fat and all of those fat calories. Just cook the beef, drain and rinse it, wipe out the pan and rinse it if you want, put the beef back in the pan, then continue with the recipe.

Other than my tip above, the only other way I know to reduce it is to reduce the amounts of cheese and pasta. You could add in some veggies to increase the volume without increasing the calories so much. Cut strips of zucchini the length of the pasta and put that in with it. This way, you don't have to use so much pasta. Add carrots, onions, bell peppers, etc. Reduced fat cheese would help, too.

You have to decide if you want to have the general taste of the recipe more often OR have the "real" recipe once in a blue moon.
  • martow49
    martow49 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    A good way to reduce meat - other than subbing the ground beef with ground turkey: use half the amount of meat and add same amount of finely chopped mushrooms. I throw the mushrooms in a mini-food processor and voila! If I'm making lasagna I make sure to add spinach to my ricotta mixture. I always use the skim cheeses.

Chopped zucchini or red/yellow bell peppers would be delicious too!

I never buy jar sauce - I studied in Italy and my Italian friends taught me better! It doesn't take long to make a quick marinara sauce or a meat sauce to serve on pasta and you can control the amount of sugar, salt, fat. Once you get going you'll be able to whip it up in no time.

The trick is not to use the entire block of mozzarella!! You can cut back and still have cheesy goodness.

The American Heart Association publishes some excellent cookbooks full of tasty recipes that teach you how to convert your favorites into much healthier versions. I bet their web page has some great suggestions as well! I'd stay away from the processed food as much as possible - I don't think I've made any pasta dish with jarred sauce in decades! Good lucky and very happy, healthy eating!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    You certainly don't need 1/2 lb of cheese for a topping. Make it portion out to 12 or 16 and serve a garden salad and sliced tomatoes.
  • jenillawafer
    jenillawafer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    In place of the 'creamy' ingredients, I use Bertolli's light Alfredo sauce. Works wonders!
  • youngmommy2
    youngmommy2 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Make your own sauce!! LIke another poster said. I'm also Italian and grew up on homemade sauce it is really easy. If you use a jar make it just a tomato basil or marinara not meat sauce and only use 1 jar.

also use lean beef and cut it to a half pound. Sometimes I use two Italian sausage links instead(cut the casings off) It adds a lot of flavor.

cut back on cheese. sometimes what ill do is add a ton more cheese to 2/3 of the pan for my family and I eat off the other side. get rid of the ricotta. save it for lasagna :)

add roasted red peppers and onion for bulk if your family permits or just eat a big whole heaping pile of veggies with it. Put it all together on the same plate for yourself so your plate looks full

My baked Ziti looks like this on a busy night where I forgot to pull sauce out of the freezer.

1 box of whole wheat pasta or Barilla plus (slightly less than 1 lb but you wont notice)
    1 jar of tomato basil sauce
    2 cups of part skim Mozzarella
    1/2 lb of lean ground beef

8 servings at around 371 Cals per serving

Feeds my family of four with leftovers
  • YesJessYes
    YesJessYes Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    OK, this is a little radical. We very rarely make pasta anymore, but when we do it's whole wheat, homemade tomato sauce, and very lean ground turkey. Maybe a sprinkle of fat free feta on top.

But I REALLY like this now. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/spaghetti-squash-i/
    147 kcal

1 spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1 onion, chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes
    3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese I used fat free)
    3 tablespoons sliced black olives
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil

After a while, you'll be amazed at what you can get used to.
  • debbiedoeshealth
    debbiedoeshealth Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I add ground vegetables to anything that calls for ground meat. In my spaghetti sauce I use my food processor to grind, carrots, broccoli, peppers, onions, garlic, zucchini, mushrooms ..any vegetable I have on hand really. It really adds to the nutritional content and makes the meet go farther reducing the calories.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,974 Member
    Options
    Instead of 8 servings, make yours a 12th. It tastes amazing and you reduce the calories substantially. It should be more like 400 calories per serving. This is how I roll with all my family's favorites.