Best workout for getting rid of belly fat?

Options
I'm around 5ft, 5ft one and my BMR is1353, TDEE 1623. Set to lose ONE POUND per week MFP has me eating 1210 calories a day. I mostly just want to get rid of my belly, although I'd like to get down to 125 instead of 144. Any suggestions for a workout for getting a slimmer, eventually toned tummy? The only weights I have are 20lbs because they're my husbands. I have an elliptical, but I can't go faster than 3.0mph on that. I'm out of shape...advice?

Replies

• julies90
    julies90 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Eating at a deficit.

That's the only thing that will give you a flat belly You can't spot reduce. You have to reduce overall body fat percentage thru healthy eating and exercise.
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I like sitting on the couch and watching tv while eating at a deficit.
  • Deestrong68
    Deestrong68 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Cardio and Eat at a Deficit. Weigh and Log your food in MFP.
  • SugarLou57
    SugarLou57 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Best work out for you, is the one you will do, that you enjoy. Walking is free, your elliptical is good.
    Use canned goods if you want 1 pound weights, or get some inexpensive hand weights new or used.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    power walking , running ...up and down hills is even better .. core exercises ..of course diet
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I was looking for some magical answer...but of course none exist. I hope you find something that works. This is my target area as well. Right now I'm doing step and weights, everything is shrinking but it's a slow process! Good luck to you :-)
  • msfidget
    Options
    www.fitnessblender.com has a ton of free videos and many of them are body weight exercises that don't require equipment. Lots of at home cardio, abs, HIIT, strength training workouts. They also have videos in their extras section with a lot of really useful information. They recommend a mix of high intensity cardio workouts + strength training and of course, a calorie deficit.
    They also have a lot of beginner videos! I started there and worked my way up to harder workouts.
    I'm in the same place- I was 147, now I'm 138 thanks to Fitness Blender. I'm only a few pounds away from my goal size now and I'm sooo much more fit.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I don't think there is a way of deciding where the fat comes off from.

I have a BIG stomach, most of my weight was stored around my stomach, and even though I have lost 130lbs+, I still have a big stomach!

One theory I heard, which seems to be true (with me anyway) is fat will come off last, where it was first put on.

So, in theory, if when you gained weight, you first gained it on your stomach, then that is the place it will come off from last. This, however, is just speculation, it's probably different for everybody.
  • mommaknox5
    mommaknox5 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Watch your salt and sugar intake.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Cardio and Eat at a Deficit. Weigh and Log your food in MFP.
    power walking , running ...up and down hills is even better .. core exercises ..of course diet

Yes on the deficit, not necessarily on the cardio, and no on the core exercises (although they are good for core strength they don't really do anything for belly fat).

Getting rid of belly fat comes from:

Moderate Caloric Deficit + Work (Cardio and Compound movements/heavy lifting) + Patience.

You can get there with 1 and 3, but would most likely be happier with your results if you incorporate all 3.

As far as core exercises go, they can be good for strengthening the core (but so are compound movements), but they don't burn a lot of calories and they don't spot reduce the area. You can do 10,000 crunches, planks, whatever.... a day, but if your body has fat to burn in other areas and it wants to take from there it will. You'll notice on this site that many members with nice midsections have a good mix of cardio and lifting, and do very little actual "ab" isolation exercises.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    I'm around 5ft, 5ft one and my BMR is1353, TDEE 1623. Set to lose ONE POUND per week MFP has me eating 1210 calories a day. I mostly just want to get rid of my belly, although I'd like to get down to 125 instead of 144. Any suggestions for a workout for getting a slimmer, eventually toned tummy? The only weights I have are 20lbs because they're my husbands. I have an elliptical, but I can't go faster than 3.0mph on that. I'm out of shape...advice?

You could use the 20 pound weights (assume they are dumbells) to do squats, lunges, dead lifts, curls, bench press to fire up your muscles for calorie burn. Lots of exercises with dumbells here...

http://www.dumbbell-exercises.com/

If you think they are too heavy for you, use two hands on one and do some work. Find something lighter in the house to use until you are adpated enough to try the 20 pounders. Or pick up a lighter pair of dumbells (maybe 12 or 15 pounders).

If you don't like the eliptical - can you walk, go for a bike ride or use an exercise bike? What about going to a gym that has all the equipment? I would mix light weights and cardio to fire up your metabolism and try to get at least 30 minutes a day in for 5 or 6 days per week.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Consistent calorie deficit and patience. Exercise will help with deficit, though it should be for fitness and health rather than used for weight loss.

And when I say consistent, it doesn't mean you have one binge day or two and then go back to calorie deficit. I've had so many people say they are consistent...................................till the weekend.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jessieboyd12
    jessieboyd12 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Fitnessblender for the past week now and I love it! That will help
  • happyrelation
    Options
    Young adults are already in a category that lose weight a lot faster than say someone who is 45.
    I am 40 and found P90X and Insanity worked well..very well. Bill Phillips Body for Life worked very well years ago.
    And I wanted something that was easier on my body, didn't take as much time, and I didn't have to think about what my next meal was going to be.
    I researched and found two that my full criteria. I know there are more out there...
    First I found one that is great for men and women at http://buildthemuscle.net.
    And the one I decided to do because it has a great support system of women doing the program and finished the program, just for women, and simply laid out and guaranteed and I found it at http://inshapenow.net.
    I'm losing on average 1 1/2 pounds a week.
    I think one of the keys to success is setting yourself up for success. Find a plan that is realistic to your lifestyle so you aren't cheating or angry at yourself for missing a workout or a meal.

To your lifestyle change!