Need help and advice please....

Options
This may sound a silly question but if I re calculate my MFP daily calorie intake to reduce my weight loss to 1.5 lbs a week and so thereby increasing my daily calories will I gain weight ?? and if so how long would I expect it to take before I started to lose again.

As I still have a lot to lose I am wondering if I started too low (started on 1260 cals per day) and should have started on maybe a higher daily calorie intake, I dont expect to lose weight over night but am happy to lose 1lb or 1.5lbs every, or most, weeks, that would still make me approx 40lbs lighter by the end of the year which would be fantastic.

I know everyone is different but if anyone could give me any idea I would be very grateful,

thanks

Sue

Replies

• MikeCalvert
    MikeCalvert Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi Sue,
    No you will not gain weight as you will still be in a calorie deficit. You will just lose more slowly.
    BW
    Mike
  • Susie_1
    Susie_1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Hi Sue,
    No you will not gain weight as you will still be in a calorie deficit. You will just lose more slowly.
    BW
    Mike

Thanks Mike
  • MikeCalvert
    MikeCalvert Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    you're welcome
    M.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    You may experience a temporary increase in weight due to water retention and added food waste. Consuming both additional carbs and sodium cause water retention.
  • Susie_1
    Options
    You may experience a temporary increase in weight due to water retention and added food waste. Consuming both additional carbs and sodium cause water retention.

Thanks
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options

This. When I upped calories I bounced up and down for about 2 weeks before settling back down to losing. Good choice to up a little. It will make you able to go the distance.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    depending on the number of calories you should not experience a gain.

I switched to 1600 back in Sept 2013 and continued to lose weight...no water weight or "extra" stuff could be found.
  • Susie_1
    Options
    When I did a "test" recalculation it showed I could up my calories to 1390 but I was thinking of not going over 1300, at present I am officially on 1200 but try to stay under 1250 so it wouldn't be a great deal of difference.

As I said previously as I still have a lot to lose I thought it more beneficial to up my calorie intake now then as I get nearer my goal I will have room to reduce.

Thanks for all your comments and advice so far.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I would say up them to 1390 and see how it does..

as others have pointed out the only "gain" may be water retention but you may not even experience that….
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Judging by your sig, you want to lose over 100 pounds, you need to eat more in order to lose more.....trying to keep at that low a calorie goal isn't good for your body. I have 25 pounds left to lose and I eat about 1500 calories daily. Do a proper BMR calculation and I am sure it show more than 1400 calories. There is a great link on here, eating more to lose weight but I can't find the link at the moment.
    When I did a "test" recalculation it showed I could up my calories to 1390 but I was thinking of not going over 1300, at present I am officially on 1200 but try to stay under 1250 so it wouldn't be a great deal of difference.

As I said previously as I still have a lot to lose I thought it more beneficial to up my calorie intake now then as I get nearer my goal I will have room to reduce.

Thanks for all your comments and advice so far.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Your goal should be to find the maximum number of calories at which you lose weight, not the minimum.

I eat more calories than you do, and I'm only 5'2" and 130 lb.!

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants