Women who lift !!

Options
Hi women who lift!

I've started incorporating weights into my workout then ending with 20 mins incline walk at 14-15 speed 3mph.
What's your workout plan and eating plan?

My workout consists of. 4 sets of 10-12 reps

Day 1 Upper body workout

Cardio 5 min 3 mph incline 1 on treadmill
Chest press (upright bench press)
Or dumbell bench press

Seated row
Or bent over dumbell row

Lat pull down
Or bent over dumbell back swing

Overhead press or dumbell overhead press

Bicep curl or barbell curl

Tri extensions dumbell

Hyper extentions with weight plate

Treadmill 20-30 mins incline 14-15 speed 3 mph

Day 2
Lower body workout

Cardio 5 min warm up treadmill incline 1, 3mph
Leg extentions
Hack squats
Leg curls
Leg press.... Very proud I managed 160 kg yesterday! Had some men give me strange looks
Calf raises
Sit-ups
Leg raises
Cardio 20-30 mins incline 14-15 speed 3mph

Day 3 rest

Day 4
copy day 1

Day 5
Copy day 2

Day 6
Rest

Day 7
Rest

Is this workout missing anything or need tweaking?
So far I'm aching after my first week.
I do hope I see results and I'm going to hide my scales and purely measure myself.
I'm eating either scrambled eggs for breakfast or oats
Lunch chicken or ham salads
Dinner chicken brown rice/sweet potato n lots of veg or salad.
Snack diet protein shakes twice a day.

Replies

• emilyc1892
    emilyc1892 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you look for a workout created by somebody else rather than making one up on your own.

How many reps/sets do you do? Do you up the weights each workout? What are your goals?

As a general guide, 5-8 reps per set is for strength, while 8-15 is for hypertrophy (bigger muscles).

I personally do stronglifts 5x5, it's a good plan. I found the guides on Reddit very helpful for choosing a plan.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/wiki/getting_started
  • dom300186
    dom300186 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Sorry I edited the post it's 4 sets I do so shall I increase the weight and do less reps?
    I'm wanting to decrease fat and go for a feminine beach body physique.
    If I put the weights on and can do 10 easy I will increase the weight and try and do 8 reps.

The workout I found on bodybuilding. Com as a guideline.

Here are my stats I'm 5ft 8 160lbs 28 years old.

I've had two kids and I'm struggling with stomach bum n thighs.
    Waist is small so I guess I'm like a pear shape but still look in proportion.
    I just want to look good in a bikini and get rid of the cellulite n fat for my honeymoon,been married two years and will be planning our honeymoon this year as money was tight for the wedding and buying a house.
  • dom300186
    Options
    Bump
  • dom300186
    Options
    Bump!!

Would anyone make any changes?
  • SuperCrsa
    SuperCrsa Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Squats and Deadlifts?! Add them!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

my first thought- were are the squats and deadlifts.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

X3

Also, you're going to get a whole lot more benefit at this stage of the game by focusing on compounds rather than a bunch of isolation volume. Your compounds would be squats, dead lifts, bench press, over head press, barbell rows...these should really be the foundation of pretty much any weight training routine...a lot of the other stuff you have going on there would be as an assist to your compounds...i.e. assistance work. Frankly, when you're pretty new to lifting, you don't need to do a whole lot of assistance work...too much volume can interfere with your recovery and thus your gains.

I generally recommend full body training 3x weekly for new lifters as opposed to doing splits...just more efficient and splits tend to be much higher volume which can be an issue when you're new.
  • ShandiH
    ShandiH Posts: 232 Member
    Options

X3

Yep. While I'm not where I want to be, squats and deadlifts are my favorites due to the movement/weights working the entire body. I can feel my core working out during the moves as well as see a noticeable difference in the mirror. I do Stronglifts 5x5 (stronglifts.com) as well and love the heavy lifting for results (yesterday I squatted 85 lbs. And last week, I deadlifted 120 lbs. Not huge in comparison but huge for me!)

I've had 2 kids so am struggling with similar issues. I've started cardio after weight lifting and on some off days to help loose the weight. By far though, squats and deadlifts!
  • WandaMM1
    WandaMM1 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I think you are also missing core work (unless I overlooked it). Planks are a great starting point (from elbows, hands and/or SIDE planks)). You can also increase your core work by doing some of your standing work while standing on one leg or on an unstable surface (e.g. a BOSU (1/2 ball)). Bicep curls are a great time to stand on one leg. Also, don't neglect your obliques (side lying crunches, bicycles with shoulder rotation), and the ever favorite reverse curl (for the lower abs). Whatever you choose to add, add more variety than your basic crunch or situp. These two only hit one of many many core muscle groups.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

X3

Also, you're going to get a whole lot more benefit at this stage of the game by focusing on compounds rather than a bunch of isolation volume. Your compounds would be squats, dead lifts, bench press, over head press, barbell rows...these should really be the foundation of pretty much any weight training routine...a lot of the other stuff you have going on there would be as an assist to your compounds...i.e. assistance work. Frankly, when you're pretty new to lifting, you don't need to do a whole lot of assistance work...too much volume can interfere with your recovery and thus your gains.

I generally recommend full body training 3x weekly for new lifters as opposed to doing splits...just more efficient and splits tend to be much higher volume which can be an issue when you're new.

x4

I love stronglifts 5x5, it's free...it's easy to follow and does wonders for a body...male or female.

and you should see what heavy (heavy to you) squats do for the bum...:bigsmile:
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Definitely add squats and deadlifts, perhaps glute bridges or hip thrusts as well. I was doing my own program that was just two days a week, full body with compound lifts, wanting to focus on my running. Then my treadmill broke and the polar vortex hit. I decided since I'm not able to run as much to go back to three days a week, so I'm doing the advanced Strong Curves (with modifications because I workout at home). I've previously done the beginner's. I've done the All Pro beginner routine at bb.com on the past, and it was alright, and I liked Madcow's 5x5 as well.

I might do some HIIT or yoga of I have time after lifting, but I typically split my lifting and cardio to different days. So, for my new routine, starting this week, it will be lifting MWF, with 10 minutes HIIT if if I have time and cardio TTh. When it warms up, that will likely mean yoga in the am and hopefully a run in the pm after work,and maybe on Saturday.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. Squats and deadlifts.
  • keywestsunset
    keywestsunset Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I just did my free training session today at the gym and they recommended doing cardio before weights to warm up. So he had me do 20 min on the treadmill at 12 incline/ 2.8 mph. Then we did squats/lifting/planks etc.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I literally JUST started lifting last week. I'm doing the Zero to 10K running program and StrongLifts 5x5 for lifting. My new plan looks like this

Monday: SL5x5 Workout A

Tuesday: Zero to 5k

Wednesday: SL 5x5 workout B

Thursday: Zero to 5k

Friday: SL 5x5 workout A

Saturday: Zero to 5k/recovery run

Sunday: rest
  • dom300186
    Options
    One problem I do have is confidence in doing dead lifts and squats using a barbell due to a previous back and knee injury.
    Could iuse dumbells instead or will it not be as great?

This is why I do hack squats because I feel safer Incase I have to stop.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I just did my free training session today at the gym and they recommended doing cardio before weights to warm up. So he had me do 20 min on the treadmill at 12 incline/ 2.8 mph. Then we did squats/lifting/planks etc.

warm up yes- cardio before weights- nope nope nope. Not unless I was training for a running event and the weights were a supplemental for training.

It's usually more advisable to do weights first- then the cardio. (again unless there are training objectives for specific activities)
    One problem I do have is confidence in doing dead lifts and squats using a barbell due to a previous back and knee injury.
    Could iuse dumbells instead or will it not be as great?

This is why I do hack squats because I feel safer Incase I have to stop.
    You can if you want- but you are going to quickly reach a point where your grip is limiting your squats- I can squat 200- but I can't hold 2 100 lb dumbells.

Goblet squats are a good thing to do without a BB.

I would think a hack squat is much harder on your knees than learning to do a regular BB squat. I'd get some training- or a coach to work you through form and practice with a barbell or broomstick to get it right and see how that goes. It may actually improve your back/knee.
  • dom300186
    Options
    Plus I have no spotter and train on my own.
  • JoRocka
    Options

irrelevant.

I never lift with anyone.- most people lift alone

Learn how to set equipment up properly- learn how to fail a lift safely and you'll be fine.
  • dom300186
    Options
    I find with the hack squat I'm more stable and less likely to wobble. The smyths machine needs repairing all the time so that's why I went to the hack squat instead.
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options

irrelevant.

I never lift with anyone.- most people lift alone

Learn how to set equipment up properly- learn how to fail a lift safely and you'll be fine.

^^THIS..and what she said before...no cardio before lifts...if I am going to do cardio the same day it is ALWAYS after..