Losing weight in the stomach

Options
Hey, so I carry all my weight in my stomach, and I want it GONE! So far I have been jogging/walking twice a week for an hr each, and swimming twice a week for half an hour each, and have added in a half an hour on my swim days where I do things like lunges, suicides, sit ups, stutter steps(sp?) ect. Is this working my core at all? Or am I just going to end up with beefed up legs? I am on a diet of approx 1230-1500 cals a day.

Replies

• eleanoreb
    eleanoreb Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Hey
    in addition or instead of just jogging you should try an interval workout..it burns 3 times more calories

I love Serena Williams interval mix
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/serena-williams-interval-run/id263112262
  • eleanoreb
    eleanoreb Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    also plank is great for working your core..but you seem like you are doing the right things
  • kendradl
    kendradl Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Sit Ups are the best and work great for me or a fitness ball between your legs and lift them up and down, works your core as well as your glutes and thighs.

Hope this helps and Good Luck!!!
  • lastchance2010
    lastchance2010 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I do weight loss yoga and I've noticed a huge difference in my core. lower/upper abs and obliques and back muscles. I lean towards the BL yoga video...cuz the other ones are WAY TOO MUCH for me at my size, but I've def noticed a shrinkage in my mid-section so u may want to give it a try. Good luck. Hope that works for ya. :flowerforyou:
  • JJGraves
    Options
    I have the SAME problem. Really. I don't think there's any trick to it except to perservere on the cardio. Interval has lots of benefits, too. Energy boost is huge. I am finally noticing my stomach slimming down after joining this site and carefully watching calories. It's just beginning to and is very satisfying.

best wishes on your journey!!
  • MariaAlexandra
    MariaAlexandra Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Well i do turbo jam published my beach body. I find that my stomach has been getting flatter. Chalene Johnson (the instructor) she created turbo jam and basically what she does is take u in intervals, she incorporates weight lifting and cardio which helps you gain muscle, and muscle burns fat! My favourite workout from her is Fat Blaster since it is intervals which basically means she goes from slow to Fast (turbo) then brings you down to slow then fast and so on, and that burns more calories! Hope I helped.

http://beachbodycoach.com/MariaAlexandra <= Check out the website it's on the right side, "Turbo Jam" and shows a pic of the DVDs and Chalene Johnson =] I've lost about 20+ pounds doing her workouts. She adds music to keep you going. Hope you like it.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    C25K (www.coolrunning.com) has taken inches off all over my body. Now if I could just suck it up and get through to week 8, LOL.
  • tam8374
    tam8374 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I am bumping this to refer to later. I could use the tips as well.
  • Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of plank and variations (like lifting your legs and going onto your elbows and then up to your hands and back down). There are also side planks which are great for your obliques.

Push ups actually are good core exercises as long as you're squeezing your core as you're pushing up. That's how you're supposed to do it, but it's easy to forget to use your core when you're in media res.

Hope this helps! I've observed that planks and core exercises like planks have made the biggest difference. Along with the overall weight loss.
  • Flora_Delirus
    Options
    BL Yoga?
  • jhoyett
    jhoyett Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    You may want to read the Abs Diet for Women. The basic concept is building your lean muscle mass by increasing your protein intake and incorporating weight training. Sounds like you're doing a lot of the right stuff already so a couple small tweaks may get you some adidtional results.
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    No such thing as "spot reducing." Keep doing plenty of cardio and strength training, which will slim and tone you all over. When you lose weight, it will come off all of the areas where you're carrying extra. If you're carrying more in your stomach area, it may take longer for you to notice a difference there than other areas where there is less extra baggage.
  • Guber3mom
    Guber3mom Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    there is a receipe book called the Flat Belly diet.. some of the receipe are delicious and it is suppose to encourage weight loss in the abdominal area... there is also a website called the Flat belly diet, I think it cost to join I didn't join but I did sign up for free to have receipe and tips sent to my email.. I am looking for my book but I can't find it in this house :angry: I.
  • mymelody_78
    mymelody_78 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    BUMP! I would love to know this too =)
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Try CLA Supplement, also known as Tonalin.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I did read once - not too long ago - that the fat you lose first is what went on most recently. My reasoning is my belly fat has been there for so long that it will probably be the last to go. I think it was Jillian Michaels that said it but I'm not sure

And no there is no such thing as target burning.
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I do weight loss yoga and I've noticed a huge difference in my core. lower/upper abs and obliques and back muscles. I lean towards the BL yoga video...cuz the other ones are WAY TOO MUCH for me at my size, but I've def noticed a shrinkage in my mid-section so u may want to give it a try. Good luck. Hope that works for ya. :flowerforyou:

What is the BL yoga video?
  • utamore
    Options
    nydoll nailed it. For better or worse our genes determine our fat distribution. I have man boobs. I had them when I was at 25% body fat, and I STILL have them at 15%. My gut is almost gone--I mean, I can see ab definition in my top four abs--but I still have me boobies. The grass is always greener, etc, etc. Bottom line, you just have to keep at it. I think my hated fat will finally disappear from view ~10% body fat. For women, I think that excellent shape is ~15%.
  • CarrieAbbey
    CarrieAbbey Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Sit Ups are the best and work great for me or a fitness ball between your legs and lift them up and down, works your core as well as your glutes and thighs.

Hope this helps and Good Luck!!!

Yoga and pilates. These two are really good for your core. :bigsmile:
  • Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Running is a GREAT way to lose stomach fat. I am 147 and I too carry ALL my weight in my tummy. (it sucks) But I have been running/ jogging on the treadmill with the high at speed 6.0 and low 4.5. I have already seen a difference in my stomach. I woke up this morn seeing my HIP BONES!! YAY....I used to feel I could stick out my stomach and look pregnant. Don't get me wrong I still carry weight there. But slowly and shortly is the way too loose it.

To loose fat you need to build muscle, so do 100 ab workouts everyday. Also the key to the tummy is nutrition so make sure you are eat right.

Good luck!