Cheat day yesterday, should I change anything today?

Options
Okay yesterday I went a little crazy and ate literally everything, I was doing good until 4, when I went over to a friends.

I ate two slices of pizza and not the normal size slices either, the kind you can get at a local pizza place and they're huggge and I ate half a huge burger and then I went to Rita's (a water ice place) and got cotton candy water ice with chocolate ice cream AND a medium hot chocolate from Dunkin donuts.

I walked to all those places which was pretty far (5 miles according to this app I have) but that's the only exercise I did, I usually do more than five miles at the gym everyday anyway.

But yeah, after all that I seriously felt extremely sick and I was so close to throwing up, that's how much I ate. I don't even want to know how many calories that was.

I don't look any different today, not anymore bloated or anything but I feel really bad about the cheat day.

It's 8:45 am here and so far I ate a large apple and I'm just wondering if I should do anything special to my diet/exercise today because of the cheat day or just go about my day as if it never happened?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    If you can, sure. If not, it's probably not a big deal. Typically my goal is as little as I can eat without being miserable though, so going under is not an option.
  • HaggisWhisperer
    HaggisWhisperer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Try to drink plenty of water today. If you find yourself going a bit mad then try to keep drinking plenty of water as well. I do a planned cheat day once a week and I find this helps with the bleugh feeling the next day if I really overindulge.
  • MB2MN
    MB2MN Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Nope. Sounds like 1000-1500 calories over goal probably. You will make that up in no time if you stick to your plan this week.
  • sosickandtired2014
    Options
    You just made me the happiest woman alive!!!!!! My day was HORRIBLE yesterday and it actually felt good to see that it happens to others and they actually post about it!! So THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

My lunch consisted of a Wendys burger, fries and chicken strips plus a coke and then in the eveing AFTER dinner (shrimp stir fry) I had some Swedish berries and about 1.5 cups of peanuts!!!!!!

My plan today is lots of water and trying to take it easy on the calories..........lots of fruit and maybe a Weight Watcher meal for dinner with lots of veges!!!!!!!
  • Simonnnna
    Simonnnna Posts: 49
    Options
    You just made me the happiest woman alive!!!!!! My day was HORRIBLE yesterday and it actually felt good to see that it happens to others and they actually post about it!! So THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

My lunch consisted of a Wendys burger, fries and chicken strips plus a coke and then in the eveing AFTER dinner (shrimp stir fry) I had some Swedish berries and about 1.5 cups of peanuts!!!!!!

My plan today is lots of water and trying to take it easy on the calories..........lots of fruit and maybe a Weight Watcher meal for dinner with lots of veges!!!!!!!

I'm sure there's hundreds more people that ate as much as we did last night :)
    I'll probably try to do the same!
  • Tudderette
    Options
    I had a cheat day yesterday as well! I ate four chocolate chip cookies (170 calories each) and more Pringles than I care to admit on a public forum. My plan today is just to go back to normal. I won't necessarily pretend it didn't happen...but I'm not going to give myself a hard time about it either. I have a cheat day about twice a month, and I'm still losing weight pretty consistently. I know that a lot of people are against 'cheat days' but I think it's really relative...if you can go back to normal the next day and it doesn't start a downward spiral, you're probably just fine. I hope you have a great day!
  • heikejacob4
    heikejacob4 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    On Fat Tuesday, I went 600 calories over my goal, so for the next four days (including today) I just tried to have an extra 150 calorie deficit. It's not something you can make up for in one day, but then again, it's not going to throw you completely off if it's one isolated incident.
  • Simonnnna
    Simonnnna Posts: 49
    Options
    I had a cheat day yesterday as well! I ate four chocolate chip cookies (170 calories each) and more Pringles than I care to admit on a public forum. My plan today is just to go back to normal. I won't necessarily pretend it didn't happen...but I'm not going to give myself a hard time about it either. I have a cheat day about twice a month, and I'm still losing weight pretty consistently. I know that a lot of people are against 'cheat days' but I think it's really relative...if you can go back to normal the next day and it doesn't start a downward spiral, you're probably just fine. I hope you have a great day!
    That's not too bad at all! Have a great day too :)
  • NotAResolution
    NotAResolution Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I ate 4 Subway oatmeal cookies yesterday. They are 200 calories each. Yesterday was my rest day so that was a double suck. I'm ok with it though, I only went over a few hundred calories for the day and I've already worked out strong this morning. You can't let days get in the way of weeks or calories get in the way of pounds. It happens, it happened, move on and kick *kitten* today.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    It's a cheat day....isn't that the whole point? Carry on! :smile:
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I don't really do much different than my normal routine after going over by a lot the day before. Maybe attend a fitness class that I normally might not, but that's it. I really just want to say that when you log and log accurately, you should log everything , even the days that seem bad to you. They are great for getting feedback (from yourself LOL) over time. Did that day surplus wipe out the deficit from the last three weeks? No? Is any new weight on the scale just water weight from all the salt and carbs? Etc.
  • Janay333
    Janay333 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If you don't do a cheat day once in a while, you'll go crazy. Even Bob Harper agrees. I've seen him eat a cupcake on The Biggest Loser:flowerforyou: . It's okay to have an extra treat once a week, just try not to go overboard. Yes, yesterday was a bit much, but move on. It's gone & you can't get it back. Face forward & stick with your calorie limit for the next week & you'll feel better. Make sure you "plan" your cheat day so you don't go overboard. Good Luck!
  • aarondnguyen
    aarondnguyen Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Nope. Sounds like 1000-1500 calories over goal probably. You will make that up in no time if you stick to your plan this week.

Highly unlikely that she only went over her calories by this little, seeing as a typical slice of pizza from the food court at Costco is 600+ calories.

OP: I wouldn't stress about it (also because too much cortisol probably isn't good for you lol). Everyone has cheat days. Just go back to eating like normal!
  • steph8679
    steph8679 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Lots of h2o!
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Far more important than remedying perceived damage is breaking the food/guilt relationship which trips so many of us up.

Have it enjoy it and forget about it - hasn't hurt me and keeps the brain monkey at bay!
  • Lizabelle1212
    Lizabelle1212 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I had an insane cheat day yesterday too! I do have regular cheat days - every Friday, after my morning weigh-in (doing a weight loss challenge at work currently). I don't log my cheat days, which seems to be against the advice of most people, but I don't really see the point (for me, personally). I know it's an insane amount of calories, I don't need to log it on MFP to be aware of that. lol Cheat days don't work for everyone, but it actually helps motivate me to work hard and stick to my calories throughout the next week as well as get any cravings out of the way (and also kind of to remind myself how crappy it feels after eating that much, so that it doesn't become a regular habit again!). I find that a good cardio session + lots of water the next day is sufficient to get rid of the "blah" feeling, and I just stick to my normal calorie goal, and I've been consistently losing weight. If that changes, I may adjust it to just one cheat meal, rather than a whole day, but for now it's working - so I would say, don't stress over it, drink lots of water, and just get right back to it! =)
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    You should do the same thing you did the last time you had a cheat meal. Remember the honey bunches of oats and almond milk you couldn't believe you ate?? All 230 calories of it??
  • yewbic
    yewbic Posts: 37
    Options
    from my experience in the last year ive found the having cheat days are important factors in preventing your metabolism from slowing down due to it thinking that you're starving. Following prolonged periods of large calorie deficits, those days of high calorie intake kind-of reassure your metabolism that you're not starving and that it shouldnt slow down to compensate for the lack of food/energy available.

i've always been able to break through pleateaus with like 3 cheat days in a row, then start cutting again afterwards.
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    If you are very active and your habits are good most of the time, the scale tends to be pretty forgiving if you go overboard on occasion. Sometimes the extra nourishment can even be helpful.

There have been times I felt panicked about eating too much but it turned out my body actually needed it. Recently I was struggling with fatigue despite the fact that I'm eating to maintain. I'm a very active person but I had been struggling in my workouts a little. Had a day where I went out to dinner during the week with some co-workers, ate A LOT and the next day just had a really awesome workout with tons of energy.

Don't worry!
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Just stay away from the scale for the next week, drink some extra water and get back into your original plan.

If this temptation creeps up too many times and causes a lot of stress and misery, then perhaps your calorie deficit is too aggressive and you need to rethink your plan (up your calories 100-200 and adjust your macros). Eating foods high in protein, fat and fiber help keep you fuller longer.

Check out this link for more help advice: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants