New and need to lose 140 lbs!

Options
I installed the app last year and have so far ignored it :( but last week I started drinking two protein shakes (breakfast & lunch) and i'm trying to have a low carb dinner. I don't know much about low carbing but the little i've read suggests I can eat a lot of fat which I really don't want to do so i've been limiting my fat intake too. I stepped on my Wii fit scales today and it says I've gained one lb!!! It feels like I've lost weight though, in that I don't feel as bloated as I usually do. Maybe i'm doing it all wrong.

Anyway, i'm looking for friends to keep me motivated :)

Replies

• bhorne09
    bhorne09 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You'll do it! You've made the first step...I ate well all day yesterday until evening then I decided to gorge.I hate being an emotional eater.I wont let it get me down though, Ill just have to do better today and add in some more exercise. As for you, just keep doing what you're doing and it'll all pay off.
  • Nascarchic48
    Options
    Hello! I just started Monday and need to loose a good 50lbs. Don't know what I can offer you for advice, I'm just trying to do the 1200 calorie intake and get some exercise in. I don't plan on weighing until Monday( I figure once a week) I love this site, writing my food intake has really been a great tool and slow and easy is my goal!! Good luck to you on your journey and feel free to add me! We can all help each other!! So far this has been a great place for me:smile:
  • kristixo
    kristixo Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Welcome :) MFP is great when used right. It typically sets daily calories at 1200, which is almost always way too low. Figure out your TDEE and BMR (google it and find calculators), then subtract about 20% from that to get yourself in a healthy deficit. Snack regularly on healthy, high protein foods to keep you full longer. Whenever I start something new, I don't weigh myself for the first couple weeks. Let your body adjust, be patient, and log everything you eat. Good luck reaching your goals :)

Edited for bad spelling *shudder* ;)
  • bhorne09
    bhorne09 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That's my down fall.I always say I'm only going to weigh 1x weekly but I'm weak and hop on the scales daily.SMH. That makes it worse for me I do believe.
  • kristixo
    kristixo Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    That's my down fall.I always say I'm only going to weigh 1x weekly but I'm weak and hop on the scales daily.SMH. That makes it worse for me I do believe.

Absolutely agree. It can be so discouraging. Exercise, eat well, and be patient. If you're doing that, results will come. Weigh yourself just often enough to ensure you're moving in the right direction :)
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I installed the app last year and have so far ignored it :( but last week I started drinking two protein shakes (breakfast & lunch) and i'm trying to have a low carb dinner. I don't know much about low carbing but the little i've read suggests I can eat a lot of fat which I really don't want to do so i've been limiting my fat intake too. I stepped on my Wii fit scales today and it says I've gained one lb!!! It feels like I've lost weight though, in that I don't feel as bloated as I usually do. Maybe i'm doing it all wrong.

Anyway, i'm looking for friends to keep me motivated :)

Are you weighing at the same time every day? Also, WiiFit isn't the most accurate scale in the world, especially if it's on carpet. That said, depending on how much you have to lose you could be looking at a loooooonnngggg time of protein shakes and one boring meal a day. I did low carb once. I lost 90 lbs and then I snapped from the utter and complete boredom (plus if you're not counting calories while doing it, you can still totally overeat bacon and cheese). I gained back every bit and more. Why not actually USE MFP and create a reasonable caloric deficit, eat a wide variety of healthy foods within your limits, and start doing some workouts for fitness? It's a lot more sustainable over the long haul.

Edited because I had a number in my head from another thread and got confused when I wrote my reply to you. Sorry, I haven't had my coffee yet.
  • dwood1231
    dwood1231 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    welcomme to MFP, you will find lots of support and advise here. send me a friend request. I am on MFP everyday. The best advise to start is use the tracker to keep an honest count of your intake, get in some workouts, and drink the 8+ glasses of water per day, you will see I am a big fan of the water. Don't judge your progress against anyone else, while we are all in this togeather, your progress is all about you. you will have good weeks and bad, goood days and bad. What is done is done, if you get off track let it go and get back on. Best of luck.
  • charkendrick
    charkendrick Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I totally second what Action Figure said. My problem hasn't been losing weight, it's always keeping the weight off. I'd be afraid of a shake diet because once you go off you're likely to gain the weight back and more. Feel free to friend me and check out my daily food diary. I'm working on losing 70 lbs. and keeping it off this time. I've been reading some really good books on healthy eating and also looking at why people overeat-- two I recommend are "Secrets of a Former Fat Girl" and "Diet Rehab: 28 Days to Finally Stop Craving the Foods That Make You Fat." Good Luck!
  • PlumeriaToo
    PlumeriaToo Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I agree with all you said. You will love this site --IT WORKS!