Low carb lifestyle?

Options
is anyone on here on a low carb lifestyle, I say lifestyle because many use low carb to lose weight but how many use it all the time. If you do what do you keep your carb limit at? I have done low carb for the last year and lost 116lbs but as I am trying to transition I don't like the bloated feeling and the little weight gain so looking into it as a life style. Also what carbs do you eat just veg and fruit, I could live without bread and pasta the only thing I do crave is greek yogurt and granola other then my veg and meat.thanks for any advice

Replies

• raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I naturally eat low carb. It is nothing I plan or think about. It is just my normal eating habit.
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Avoid gluten (a protein found in most grain). That may be why you're feeling so bloated now. I'm gluten intollerant and I notice a HUGE difference after I eat regular bread or pasta. If I do eat pasta it's the stuff made from brown rice. I just don't bother with the bread as it has a low shelf life.
  • eorcel
    eorcel Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have to eat low carb for health reasons. So I actually find it to be fun. Recently I was eating parboiled rice because it is lower in glycemic index than brown rice and brown rice hurts my stomach. Now I don't eat any rice, just veggies, beans and soy. I also eat gluten free for health reasons so I don't eat breads and pastas. Most gluten free breads and pastas are made with high glycemic ingredients. I am vegetarian so veggies are just fine. Also, a high protein, low glycemic diet has been proven to be the diet easiest to stick to according to diet.com.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    is anyone on here on a low carb lifestyle, I say lifestyle because many use low carb to lose weight but how many use it all the time. If you do what do you keep your carb limit at? I have done low carb for the last year and lost 116lbs but as I am trying to transition I don't like the bloated feeling and the little weight gain so looking into it as a life style. Also what carbs do you eat just veg and fruit, I could live without bread and pasta the only thing I do crave is greek yogurt and granola other then my veg and meat.thanks for any advice

I live a low carb lifestyle. I have recently given up grains, beans, legumes, lentils and most dairy.

Even living low carb you don't have to live bread / cracker free. Good whole grain, nutty breads or Ezekiel sprouted grain bread is good.........

It sounds like you have the lifestyle down pat!!

Congrats on the 116 pound loss. Awesome.
  • Denimgirl
    Denimgirl Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I low carb for heath reasons and weight loss reasons.

Just FYI greek style yogurt is way lower in carbs than regular yogurt. I have some yogurt straining now. It makes a nice addition to a low carb lifestyle.

Bloating is one of the main things I notice that is GONE when I start low carbing. I really think my body just can't tolerate bread and pasta. I'm not sure what would help to ease your transition except starting on a good probiotic.
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I keep my carbs around 125 grams a day on a 2000 calorie diet. I stay away from all man made carbs. Of couse, I got to cheat once in a while. I love the wheat bread at the long horn! I avoid anything that is packaged in a pretty box. No bread, pasta, etc.

I get my carbs from fruits and veggies, the occasion fiber bar etc. I do go over once in a while but if I know its healthy I dont mind. I get plenty of protien and eat good fats. I still work out hard and have no problem maintaing my energy levels.

You can see my story here: www.beachbody.com/murf19 or www.shakeology.com/murf Feel free to friend me so you can see my food diary.
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I have to eat low carb for health reasons. So I actually find it to be fun. Recently I was eating parboiled rice because it is lower in glycemic index than brown rice and brown rice hurts my stomach. Now I don't eat any rice, just veggies, beans and soy. I also eat gluten free for health reasons so I don't eat breads and pastas. Most gluten free breads and pastas are made with high glycemic ingredients. I am vegetarian so veggies are just fine. Also, a high protein, low glycemic diet has been proven to be the diet easiest to stick to according to diet.com.

Soy is highly processed! Don't eat it if you can avoid it.
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Nice to see I am not the only one here
    with the life changing low carb diet.
    I am doing this for health reasons. I still
    eat beans but no rice, pasta or bread.
    I have been doing this for so long I really
    don't miss it. I do eat fruit.
    Congrats on the 116 lb. loss.:bigsmile:
  • apfeiff
    Options
    I am currently eating low carb/low sugar. This has been a challenge for me as my favorite foods are potatoes, pasta, and bread. I eat meats, fruits, and veggies (no corn, peas, carrots, certain squashes). I just started this after the HCG diet and am on my first week. I found great recipes for Spaghetti Squash with meat sauce. When I don't steam my veggies, I have been sauteeing some veggies in no fat, low sodium chicken broth. I have also made cauliflower mashed potatoes, which aren't the same as my normal, delicious mashed potatoes, but I'm working on improving my recipe. Let me know if you need food ideas, I've done a lot of research.
  • Mrbackslap
    Options
    I keep my carbs high and personally think its better.
    I keep losing weight and haven't stopped yet. =)

This whole low carb thing I just dont buy it.
    If your body is low on carbs it will just pull it from protein and I want all my protein for building muscle not to fuel my body.
    Plus I feel stronger.
  • wifeyplus6
    Options
    I eat low carb because of my diabetes. My Dr. says that women should not have less than 30 carbs per meal (3 meals a day)and men shouldn't have less than 40 because that is what it takes for our brains to function. Also, keep snacks to a 15 carb limit and you won't get insulin spikes. (which cause the cravings) I'm 5 feet 4 inches so I can have 30-50 carbs a meal. My husband who's 6 feet get 60 carbs a meal. so it does depend upon your height, but this has worked for me. I too have noticed that if I keep this carb ration than I don't get swollen/bloating, or any of the other side effects listed here. Friend me if you would like more info . :)

I do love my carbs though!
  • IceFaith
    Options
    I eat fairly low carb. 60-100 grams of carbs a day. Sometimes I go over but I try. I'm diagnosed as pre-diabetic and I'm trying to elimate foods that raise my glucose levels. When I first started it I lost about 15 lbs pretty quickly.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I eat low carb because of my diabetes. My Dr. says that women should not have less than 30 carbs per meal (3 meals a day)and men shouldn't have less than 40 because that is what it takes for our brains to function. Also, keep snacks to a 15 carb limit and you won't get insulin spikes. (which cause the cravings) I'm 5 feet 4 inches so I can have 30-50 carbs a meal. My husband who's 6 feet get 60 carbs a meal. so it does depend upon your height, but this has worked for me. I too have noticed that if I keep this carb ration than I don't get swollen/bloating, or any of the other side effects listed here. Friend me if you would like more info . :)

I do love my carbs though!

When I was diagnosed with Diabetes, Dr told me to have no more than 20-40 grams of carbs per day total...............

That is crazy to have that many carbs per meal.
  • retired05
    retired05 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    In the past I lost over 100 lbs with low carb and I have learned that I need to maintain a low carb lifestyle. In the maintenance part of the diet we were told to add only 5 grams every two weeks to see what level your body needed to be at. For myself, I need to stay at no more than 75 grams a DAY total - otherwise I put weight back on and feel very sluggish. I also do not have a thyroid gland and take medication for that which is probably why I need to stay so low. My Dr. says to find my level and stay at that.
    Drop back to 60 a day and then gradually add back on to find your maintenance level. I try to get my carbs from fresh fruit and veggies only - have been trying really hard to stay away from all processed food.