VERY worried about METABOLISM

Options
Please help! I only started MFP 3 days ago. My recommended calorie count is 1200. I've lost a pound a day so far and am very concerned that might mean:
1) I should be eating more calories to promote slower loss;
2) I'm slowing my metabolism WAYYYY down--eeek!
What do you think I should do?
SW: 135
GW: 123

Replies

• melaniekeeptrack
    Options
    if you are very concerned go aback and look at your profile make sure it is accurate for your life style ( active / moderate/ sitting all day) and make sure that you are taking into account any additional excercise that you are adding. In additon you should always check with a doctor before starting any excercise routine and diet plan. If you burn 350 calories working out every day and you have decreased your calorie intake, you will loose faster then is safe. Good lucK
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    At your weight 1200 calories seems reasonable. Usually weight loss is faster at first due to much of it being water weight. 1200 is a net amount which means you should eat 1200 plus any calories you burn through exercise.
  • batty5
    batty5 Posts: 193
    Options
    Lucky you! Takes me a week to lose 1lb. It is probably water weight & people (not me) often lose more at the beginning. As long as you are eating 1200 calories per day it should be ok unless you regularly do loads of strenuous activity; even then my doctor says 1200 is ok if you need to lose weight. If you are so worried then eat more til you get to your happy loss rate, I am sure there probably won't be too many sympathetic ears to a very fast loss!!!!!.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    It's normal to see a rather significant drop the first week, then stall out the second or 10 days in. Especially in people who really have a lot to lose (I did not check out your stats) vs just 10 or 15 lbs. It's not actual WEIGHT loss, just like if you eat a buffet and are up 4 lbs the next day it's not actual WEIGHT GAIN. It has a lot to do with sodium and water weight etc. Stick with what you are doing. Wait about a month and see how things pan out, what your scale says, what your inches say, and how you feel. (of course, if you feel extremely fatigued in the mean time, or ill, etc, reevaluate earlier). And be sure you don't get disappointed when you see the scale suddenly stop or go back up a little soon (likely next week). It's just your body adjusting to your new routine.
  • platoniclover
    Options
    THANK YOU ALL!!! Wow! I am shocked (in an awesome way : ) and appreciative that so many members of the MFP community took the time to respond so thoughtfully to my 1st post. You quelled my fears and answered my question 100%. You're all so kind-thank you again.
  • kacylaine
    kacylaine Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Go to the tools tab and calculate your BMR--basal metabolic rate. That's how many calories your heart needs to beat, your lungs need to breath, your brain needs to think...etc. You need AT LEAST that much. I started out eating 1200 and lost weight very fast, but then hit a wall that I couldn't break through until I actually started eating more. I now eat between 1500 and 1600 a day, plus whatever I burn with exercise. I'm slooooowly starting to lose again after 4 weeks of the same weight!
  • platoniclover
    Options
    Thanks! I went and calculated my metabolic rate as you suggested and it said "1,336."
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    exercise improves metabolism.