Breakfast Ideas

Options
ticribbs
ticribbs Posts: 120 Member
Short on food, I have steel cut oats, regular oats (instant), frozen peaches, canned peaches, frozen mixed berries, frozen raspberries, applesauce...what can I make that is under 300 calories and will fill me up? Normally on the weekends I've been doing oatmeal with bananas, chocolate and peanut butter but I ran out of bananas! Looking for some good recipes :)

Replies

• snappyapples
    Options
    I like oatmeal and peaches (bonus if you add in a little milk with it!!). When I was younger my mom used to make "oatmeal cookie oatmeal" with apples, cinnamon, chopped walnuts, whatever other fruit she had, and brown sugar. YUMMY :)
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I like oatmeal and peaches (bonus if you add in a little milk with it!!). When I was younger my mom used to make "oatmeal cookie oatmeal" with apples, cinnamon, chopped walnuts, whatever other fruit she had, and brown sugar. YUMMY :)

oat meal or steel cut oats with some of that frozen fruit sounds good to me - just weigh out a portion of your fruit and let it thaw a bit while your oats are cooking - when they are close to done toss in your fruit and stir it around - if you like cinnamon add a dash of that - you could add the applesauce with some cinnamon to your oats also

The canned fruit I would probably just eat on the side
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal and peaches! They go so well together. And sweeten it with applesauce or honey (if you have some). My breakfast every morning is oatmeal with a spoonful of Nutella. Tastes like a cookie. So that's another way to spice up oatmeal without adding a ton of calories. A little goes a long way with Nutella. My breakfast is usually around 200 calories this way (not including my post workout smoothie that is).
  • ticribbs
    Options
    Ok, so I basically just threw all of the above listed into the crock pot with 8 cups of water, 1 tbsp vanilla, 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, and then one tsp of salt and let it cook on low over night. I then added 1 tsp brown sugar, 1/4 cup of milk and one sweet n low packet and it was great! I have breakfast for the whole week now, plus it's less calories than my normal breakfast, win :)
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I basically just threw all of the above listed into the crock pot with 8 cups of water, 1 tbsp vanilla, 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, and then one tsp of salt and let it cook on low over night. I then added 1 tsp brown sugar, 1/4 cup of milk and one sweet n low packet and it was great! I have breakfast for the whole week now, plus it's less calories than my normal breakfast, win :)

nice improvising!
  • Foodiethinking
    Foodiethinking Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    BUMP- that recipe sounds awesome, consider it stolen ;)
  • ticribbs
    Options
    Glad to share! I was very happy with the results, I may add 1/2 a banana tomorrow, just because I love bananas :)
  • corinneselene
    corinneselene Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    fruit and oats smoothie sounds delicious!
  • juganaut
    juganaut Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    what my partner and I usually do is make our breakfast the night before - overnight oats.

in a container - oats, greek yoghurt, chia seeds and water (base) with flavours like:
    - cacao, peanut butter
    - blueberry/raspberry, lemon rind
    - blueberry cinnamon
    - raspberry macadamia
    - cacao and coffee

mix together and put in the fridge overnight and in the morning you got delicious pudding