sleepy when working out

Options
I recently started working out again. I lost 30 lbs about 3 months ago and although I've maintained it I wasn't doing my daily work outs, maybe just once or twice a week. However, about a month ago I started to experience extreme sleepiness while exercising. I went for a jog and right in the middle of it I had an overwhelming sensation to just lay down and take a nap. It was a bit chilly outside and my lungs didn't appreciate the cold air so I chalked it up to that. Since then every time I work out I just feel exhausted. My muscles aren't fatigued and I otherwise feel great, just extremely sleepy like I could just lay down on the spot and take a nap.

I haven't been jogging because it's still too cold out. When I exercise I use the daily burn program so it's a mix of of kick boxing workouts and cardio/strength training.

Does this happen to anyone else? Any ideas what could be the cause of this or how I can prevent this from happening?

I do generally feel tired most of the time despite the number of hours of sleep I get a night. However, nothing has changed with that to be the cause of this sudden onset of work out sleepiness.

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating?

Are you eating back your exercise calories?
  • Mistapholeezkat
    Mistapholeezkat Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I tend to yawn when I work out, like a lot. Maybe not enough O2 being processed?
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    You may be experiencing a drop in blood sugar. You may want to talk to your doctor about this.
  • rubble20
    rubble20 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    @ninkyou - I haven't been tracking my calories but given that I haven't exactly been watching what I eat I am sure I'm eating back my exercise calories. (probably more haha)

starting my official diet today as i've got plenty more weight to lose.
  • deannakittygirl
    deannakittygirl Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Undiagnosed thyroid condition perhaps? Before I was diagnosed and properly medicated I was tired all the time even though I had adequate sleep. Check with doctor.