P90X

Options
Has anybody tried working out with P90X? Havr you seen any results?

Replies

• ItsNatastic
    ItsNatastic Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I almost finished my first round before I got bored with the workout. I had great consistant results. I personally think the program needs more cardio, that's why I am switching it up now. But all in all great workouts, fast results, and Tony is an awesome motivator!
  • deagn5
    deagn5 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN EXACTLY WHAT THIS IS BECAUSE I KEEP HEARING ABOUT IT BUT I REALLY HAVEN'T GOT A CLUE
  • xxthursday09xx
    xxthursday09xx Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I just started so no results yet but I love it! EVERYONE i have talked to has seen results.

For more cardio driven workouts there is ChaLean (same beach body company) geared more towards women and cardio.
  • Nubyia
    Nubyia Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yes and it's awesome. If you'd like, you can check out my vids @ www.youtube.com/nubyia1 and see my results. There is another lady on there name souljagirlsha and she has done 4 or 5 rounds and gets results but now I think she does it more for conditioning.
    It can get boring but I do it at the gym. Like if its shoulder and arms day, i work shoulder bicep, tricep and do my cardio. DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU!
  • CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN EXACTLY WHAT THIS IS BECAUSE I KEEP HEARING ABOUT IT BUT I REALLY HAVEN'T GOT A CLUE

It's a workout program made by BeachBody (beachbody.com)
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN EXACTLY WHAT THIS IS BECAUSE I KEEP HEARING ABOUT IT BUT I REALLY HAVEN'T GOT A CLUE

It's a workout system of dvd's. Check out the tv guide you can find a half hour long sales show on a bunch of a channels any given day.

I'm thinking I'm going to start the lean one to get some more cardio in. I lift at the gym with a friend so I don't want to leave her out. :)

My life has been nuts these past two weeks but am thinking that I'm going to get started next Monday.
  • babygurl1
    babygurl1 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have the set that someone burned for me but I have never used it. I tried to just check it out one time but there seemed to be alot of talk about equipment you needed...mats and weights and some kind of foam wedges or cubes?? Do you really need all this equipment or can I just jump on in with nothing? I have turbo jam and love it because I don't need anything but myself!!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I have the set that someone burned for me but I have never used it. I tried to just check it out one time but there seemed to be alot of talk about equipment you needed...mats and weights and some kind of foam wedges or cubes?? Do you really need all this equipment or can I just jump on in with nothing? I have turbo jam and love it because I don't need anything but myself!!

Part of P90X is a weight lifting system. It requires weights and resistance bands to start.
  • trinityj1
    trinityj1 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    You absolutely NEED either dumbbells (minimum one lighter set (2-5) and one heavier set (8-12)) or a resistance band.

Everything else you can live without, but it is easier and more comfortable to do a lot of the movements if you have a yoga mat.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    P90X is a product from Beachbody.com....Tony Horton is the instructor. It is an awesome routine, hard as hell, but you will have great results....
  • nezeray
    Options
    I'm in phase 2 of P90x and have done all of the DVDs. I started with some resistance bands but now only use them as a replacement for doing pull-ups (I can't pull up 268lbs...currently). If you get bands, make sure they are long enough, I got some short ones and had to modify many of the exercises.

I switched from the bands to dumbbells since the movements feel more natural with them than bands.

A yoga mat will help pad reduce shock if you have bad knees, and it's good for doing Ab Ripper. It's not necessary though. The foam blocks aren't necessary, but you can get a cheap set at Wal-Mart for $10.00

I don't have a heart monitor, but you can get one if you want. I have learned my limits on an eliptical machine, so I don't push myself too hard. :)

By the way, my avatar can be considered my before picture, I'm in the green shirt. I hope my after picture looks better. :)

James / Nezeray
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    All you need are the weights, I use a 10lb weight for everything. I dont have the yoga blocks, and I dont have the pullup bars, I just jog in place when he is doing chip ups and pull ups.....
  • edorice
    Options
    All you need are the weights, I use a 10lb weight for everything. I dont have the yoga blocks, and I dont have the pullup bars, I just jog in place when he is doing chip ups and pull ups.....

For those who want the FULL benefit of the program they should get a variety of weights and resistance bands for their back exercises to start.
  • frankbo25
    frankbo25 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Here are my results:

me at 270 lbs in April 2010:
    270lbs.jpg

Lost 31 lbs started P90x June 2010 at 239 lbs, day 1 pics:
    day1.jpg

Finished 1 round(full 90days) began second round in October so these pics are my day 90 and day 1 of round 2:
    day90round2day1.jpg

These are my day 60 pics from my second round taken last week:
    DSCN1912.jpg
    DSCN1914.jpg
    DSCN1913.jpg
    DSCN1916.jpg
    DSCN1915.jpg
    DSCN1919.jpg

]
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    i'm in the middle of month two and really just starting to lose weight, after my first 30 days i could see a little more definition but when i took my pics i was a little disappointed because i couldnt tell a difference from day one. I bought a better band which has made a huge difference as it offers way more resistance and also bought a heart monitor, i found out that in some cases i was overestimating the calories i burned. All in all its a great workout, i'm making tweaks along the way so that it works for me but i love it
  • brownsugar84
    brownsugar84 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone :)
    I'm new to the boards and am interested in the P90X approach. I'm 26 years old, 153 pounds and am aiming to lose 20 pounds and gain a healthy lifestyle. I'm hesitant about this program as I don't have good knees. From those who have completed this program, did the workouts take a toll on your knees?
  • frankbo25
    frankbo25 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone :)
    I'm new to the boards and am interested in the P90X approach. I'm 26 years old, 153 pounds and am aiming to lose 20 pounds and gain a healthy lifestyle. I'm hesitant about this program as I don't have good knees. From those who have completed this program, did the workouts take a toll on your knees?

No, in fact I think my knees feel stronger now. They used to hurt all the time, most likely due to the the 270lbs I was carrying around. I had some knee issues about halfway through my first round of P90x also but I still kept going and eventually it got better. The only real high impact workout is Plyometrics but if you pace your self and land on your toes on jumps like Tony says you should be fine.
    Hope this helps
  • ItsNatastic
    ItsNatastic Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    For those worried about knees you can sub Plyometrics (the only really high impact workout) for CardioX which has a lot less jumping around. Plyo is a great burn, none of the other P90x can rival it, but as someone with relatively good knees, it even gets to me sometimes.
  • edorice
    Options
    I agree with Frank, the muscles in my knees and around my knees are stronger as a result of the over all workout program. Too much subbing only discounts your results. I'm 40 years old, if I can do plyometrics then just about anybody can. It has improved my legs to the point that I'm now running along with doing P90X. You will only get stronger and improve yourself if you would just get out of your own way.