over eating once a week

Options
Okay, for the past month I have been over eating once a week. (usually every saturday) By maybe 500-1500 extra calories over my maintenance of 1640. So far this hasn't hurt my weight but I'm really scared it will eventually. I am always hungry. Always, and I eat 1500-1600 calories almost everyday. Could my body actually need more calories than what mfp states? I work out at least 2 times a week, for 30 minutes. But the other 5 days im pretty inactive. I do work in retail, 3 days a week and am always on my feet and walking around. I just need some helpful advise. What can I do to not over eat? once the weather is warmer I can be distracted by being outdoors more often and hopefully I wont feel the urge to eat.

Replies

• rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    If you've been maintaining, you're doing exactly what you should be doing. Don't overthink it. Check in on your weight from time to time and if it starts to creep up, THEN worry about it.
  • WhisperAnne
    WhisperAnne Posts: 453
    Options
    If you've been maintaining, you're doing exactly what you should be doing. Don't overthink it. Check in on your weight from time to time and if it starts to creep up, THEN worry about it.

Simple but helpful advise! I check my weight once or twice a week now. I think my body is telling me I need to feed it more :/
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    try changing the balance of what those calories make up - I found I was hungry when I wash`t getting enough protein and fat - however if you are over eating by 1500 on a weekend and not gaining that is 200 cals per day you could eat instead
  • tayloryay
    tayloryay Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    If it hasn't affected your weight so far, then you must need those calories! Here's an interesting method/theory I came across recently about "normal eating" or "intuitive eating".

"The process of feeling hungry, experiencing a body-wisdom-based desire for a certain type of food, eating the food, stopping when satisfied, and then going off to do something else without another thought is "normal eating". This is completely analogous to what occurs when you have to pee. You sense your body's need, you relieve yourself, and then you go back to what you were doing. In both cases, you read a physical signal, meet the physical need, and give it no more thought. That's normal.

Now imagine what a strange world it would be if we were told that peeing had to be done on a schedule. We should pee four times a day, and it should be at four hour intervals, and we should only pee one cup at a time. If we need to pee in between times, we should hold it. If we want to pee more than one cup, we should hold that for the next time. Sound bizarre? That's basically what a diet is. It is just as bizarre to regulate your eating according to arbitrary external rules rather than internal cues.

Eating is a basic bodily function just like elimination. We don't need to be told how to do it."
  • Feervi
    Feervi Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If it hasn't affected your weight so far, then you must need those calories! Here's an interesting method/theory I came across recently about "normal eating" or "intuitive eating".

"The process of feeling hungry, experiencing a body-wisdom-based desire for a certain type of food, eating the food, stopping when satisfied, and then going off to do something else without another thought is "normal eating". This is completely analogous to what occurs when you have to pee. You sense your body's need, you relieve yourself, and then you go back to what you were doing. In both cases, you read a physical signal, meet the physical need, and give it no more thought. That's normal.

Now imagine what a strange world it would be if we were told that peeing had to be done on a schedule. We should pee four times a day, and it should be at four hour intervals, and we should only pee one cup at a time. If we need to pee in between times, we should hold it. If we want to pee more than one cup, we should hold that for the next time. Sound bizarre? That's basically what a diet is. It is just as bizarre to regulate your eating according to arbitrary external rules rather than internal cues.

Eating is a basic bodily function just like elimination. We don't need to be told how to do it."

Never thought of dieting in that way and I think It's absolutely llgical ._. Gonna take it into account.

And going back to the topic. I think your body is telling you sth. Try eating a small surplus of calories a week and check your macros c:
  • middleton110
    middleton110 Posts: 22 Member
    Options

Never thought of dieting in that way and I think It's absolutely llgical ._. Gonna take it into account.

And going back to the topic. I think your body is telling you sth. Try eating a small surplus of calories a week and check your macros c:

In OP's case, if maintaining is the goal, I suppose that advice is fine. Maybe try working those extra calories in over the week instead of bingeing on one day.

For me personally, I cannot just eat "however" I want -- because my habits (which easily overwhelm bodily urges) are overeating and eating sweets in particular. While we need to learn to listen to our body's urges, I think it's dangerous to just go with the "if you feel hungry, eat" advice. What's been helpful is reminding myself that the healthier food is going to be lower calorie, more satisfying, and make me feel more energetic and teaching myself to eat those foods instead of 3 pieces of cake.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    You're 22 years old. I don't know how tall you are but I really DOUBT that 1600 calories is enough for you to maintain your weight. The activity multiplier that you use on MFP, or even on other calculators, does not take into account the fact that you're young and your metabolism is still running more quickly than it will when you grow older. How are you calculating this number?

Just to use a personal example, I'm 20 years old, 5'4" and 135lbs. I maintain on 2000-2200 calories a day. MFP thinks my maintenance number is in the 1700s somewhere I think... You may have to raise your activity multiplier to make the calculator work for you. Then eat back your exercise calories anyway.