Major Setback

Options
I know this is a charmed life kind of problem, but I'm so upset with myself... Today I went to a food event with a pastry chef friend and overate by a TON, and I'm sure I've gained at least 2 pounds. This is after gaining about 4 pounds on vacation the last couple of weeks. I'm going to go for a run later this evening to try to mitigate some of the damage, but I'm still so discouraged, because it takes me about a month to lose as much weight as I've gained recently. It's also that my life is going to to be very tumultuous the next few months, making it very difficult to settle back into a weight loss routine. I was about 10-13 pounds from my goal (after losing 30), and now I have 15-20 to lose again. Anyone have tips on how to motivate yourself to keep losing after gaining back some of the weight, and especially on how to stay on track while moving around and traveling?

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Log it and move on.

Most of the time weight gain after 'overeating' is actually water retention from salt intake or glycogen replenishment. It'll go back down after a while.

Just keep logging everyday.
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Been there done that many times, You just have to face it, plan for it, then get back on track.
    My new thing is : if you eat that you have to go on the treadmill extra, it stops me cold!
    If I eat it I have to burn it!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    7000 calories over maintenance is hard to do...

as for the 4lbs over vacation..so did I..oh well it was so worth it.

Log it, don't weigh yourself anytime soon (maybe next week) and move on with it.

This is not a major setback...a major setback is not logging for 6months and gaining half or all of it back

or actually hurting yourself so you can't exercise.

Perspective.
  • massromanticfool
    massromanticfool Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replies and for the sorely needed perspective. Between that and exercising for the first time in awhile, I'm feeling much more positive about things. :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Log it and move on.

Most of the time weight gain after 'overeating' is actually water retention from salt intake or glycogen replenishment. It'll go back down after a while.

Just keep logging everyday.

This!
  • pbruce706
    pbruce706 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    A little something my weight loss coach instills in us....

You can't gain IT back. There is no giant fat globule stalking you, waiting to pounce on you the moment you let your guard down. The old fat is gone, forever. All you can do is gain new weight back.

When looked at it from that perspective, it doesn't seem as inevitable that when you gain some weight, you're suddenly going to balloon back to your old weight and beyond.

As others have said, you're still on track, keep logging your food. Be honest. And stay off the scale for a little bit.

The very fact you're so aware of these relatively small gains means you're not going to fall into the trap of not logging, and ignoring the fact you're gaining new weight.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    First,
    slapsgiving-salute1.jpg
    (Major Setback)

Second,
    You did not gain 2lbs in one day. Quit dwelling in your past eating mistakes and just move on. Each day is a new chance to do better. Wake up, eat right, exercise, rest, wake up, and do it again.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    As for how to keep yourself motivated - are you happy with the weight you've gained back? No? Suck it up and fix it. Don't allow yourself to make excuses. Simple as that.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Don't let one bad day turn into one bad week or one bad week turn into one bad month.

We all have those days where we make choices that are probably not in our best interests. It's what humans do. Just don't beat yourself up over it. Log the food and get back to your healthy habits. Today is a new day. Make a fresh start instead of dwelling on the past.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    That's not a major setback. That's every day life. A major setback is losing a limb or being diagnosed with a life threatening illness. You have all the tools so forget about it and carry on. We all have moments of self pity but hey that's life I'm afraid and stuff happens. You either let it happen to you or make it happen your choice
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    This is just a minor bump in the road. Just write it down as spoiling yourself and make sure to be back on schedule for the time being.
  • Seabee74
    Seabee74 Posts: 314
    Options
    How I motivate myself will in No Way help You motivate yourself. You said you know how to do this ? You overate, now suck it up and move on ! How's that for motivation !!!
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    Yesterday I ate about 1200 calories of potato chips mindlessly while driving. It doesn't happen much, I even premeditated the binge, and the only difference it will make is I probably won't feel like doing that for a while.
  • LosingItForGood13
    LosingItForGood13 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    To get back on track and stay on track just keep tracking everything that u eat