Options
2»

Replies

• p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    This is the UK situation.

Overweight and obesity are common. In the UK:
    •Between 6 and 7 out of 10 men have a BMI >25 and so are overweight or obese.
    •Between 5 and 6 out of 10 women have a BMI >25 and so are overweight or obese.
    •Around 1 in 4 men and 1 in 4 women in the UK have a BMI >30 and so are obese.
    •Around 2 in 100 adults are severely (also called morbidly) obese (BMI >40).

The number of obese people in the UK is rising, particularly among young adults. Since 1980, the number of obese adults in the UK has nearly tripled and the UK now has the highest rate of obesity in Europe . This has been called the obesity epidemic.

Staggering really.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    The current research indicates that the excess weight precedes the actual T2D. It's a symptom of blood sugar dysfunction....also, to be fair, thin people who develop diabetes may have LADA. This is an autoimmune or can be caused by illness, cortisone use too I think.

The point is, it's a different issue and has features of both T2D and T1D and DEFINITELY cannot be prevented & in some cases, there's no clue that this can happen.

ETA: bloodsugar101.com
    Being that you have it, it seems that you've taken lots of time to research it and have a much wider range of knowledge than myself on it, so I will keep looking at your posts to learn.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Saying that Type 2 Diabetes is "genetic" is a cop out for people who do not understand how Type 2 diabetes works. It's very similar to saying, "That person has AIDS because he has genes that allows him to get the AIDS virus". Skinny people can become Type 2 diabetic but saying that it's genetic is a cop out. You can read the research papers below in that link to get a better understanding from where I'm coming from but I'll give you a brief summary as to why using the "it's genetic" term is a cop out.

Summary with many many many scientific details left out
    Your liver and pancreas work together to maintain stable glucose levels. When there is too much fat on the liver and pancreas, those organs lose the ability to sense how much glucose is in the bloodstream because those organs are literally covered up in fat. When you leave those organs in such a fatty state for too long, the receptors that sense how much glucose is in the blood begin to degrade over time. You also have insulin receptors on your muscles and they degrade over time due to high fatty acid concentrations too. Actually, I believe insulin receptors degrade due to high glucose but in order to have high glucose your pancreas and liver must lose some of its glucose sensing abilities first.

Now, this is where genetics come into play. The marker at which someone becomes type 2 diabetic is different for each person due to genetics. Some people can become diabetic at 30 pounds of excess fat. Others can become diabetic at 80 pounds excess fat, and due to genetics a mere 5 pounds of excess fat is high enough to cause degradation of your receptors in certain skinny individuals. Think of it this way. Everyone's pancreas and liver are different sizes and the sizes of those organs will determine how much fat your body can tolerate before you become a type 2 diabetic.

No one is born Type 2 Diabetic, it happens over time as explained above.

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/36/4/1047.full

• willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    It'll happen way before then if people keep falling for the garbage this country is trying to pass as food.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    i wonder if this has any relationship to the projected aging of our population. In 2050 I'll be in my 70's.

oops read a little more see it is suspected to be a population composition issue
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Only very small percentage is genetic. If this was not true, than the rates would have been just as high 30-40 years ago. But they are not. The percentage of population with diabetes is growing like crazy. That suggests environment/behavior is the cause, not genetics.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    It'll happen way before then if people keep falling for the garbage this country is trying to pass as food.
    Let's not go to overboard here. One could eat quite well, but over consume calories and attain it. Excess weight and inactivity are the more likely direct contributors to type 2 diabetes, although there still isn't a definite cause that's been identified.

IDEA Fitness member
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Only very small percentage is genetic. If this was not true, than the rates would have been just as high 30-40 years ago. But they are not. The percentage of population with diabetes is growing like crazy. That suggests environment/behavior is the cause, not genetics.

this ...

in my husbands family: they great grandparents on his mother's side all got to 70 without diabetes, the grandparents on his mother's side all got to 70 (one of them to 90) and nobody had diabetes, now his mother has diabetes, so has her brother, her sister hasn't, so her mother's doctor told, because her brother has is, it's genetic and not her fault. However both his mother and her brother are obese, whereas the sister is a normal weight and has been a normal weight most of her life.

Yes there is a genetic component, but it is triggered by that person's weight in a lot of the cases. No doubt there are other triggers which is why some of the people with type 2 are of normal weight, but 85% are overweight or obese, so it's not too farfetched to assume it has an impact.
  • Tribesmama
    Options
    The majority of T2D in uk are from overweight people who stuff their faces with crap and then blame the diabetes , swollen feet , energy for not being able to exercise and lose the weight that os causing them the health problems in the first place.
    Our society is fast food and sugar addicted , i dont mind having a bar of chocolate every now and then but its not my main diet. No wonder our kids are getting fat , between easy foods and computer the country is ruined. We'r going to end up like the fat people in the film Wall-e .
    My dad has t2d from being overweight (2 stone overweight) and because the doctor can give him a pill he thinks yhat its ok to be like that. Terrible reaction, i think doctors should prescribe an eating plan and not tablets , not only would everybody be healthier but it would save the NHS millions on overweight procedures and ailments.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Yes there is a genetic component, but it is triggered by that person's weight in a lot of the cases. No doubt there are other triggers which is why some of the people with type 2 are of normal weight, but 85% are overweight or obese, so it's not too farfetched to assume it has an impact.

Do we know which is the cart and which is the horse ? Were elevated blood sugars present leading to accumulation of fat and obesity as insulin attempted to drop the blood sugar, or did they get fat with normal blood sugar then the pancreas got messed up with visceral fat ?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Someone asked about a screening program for Diabetes, and I just wanted to say that you can get a blood test for Diabetes at many many sites online, such as http://PrivateHealthNetwork.net

Its totally worth it to catch these things early, and I think that sometimes we don't realize that many test can be ordered for less online and even without insurance. You also don't need a prescription.

Just something to think about. Type 2 Diabetes is no joke, and more of us are affected than we think.
    THIS!

IDEA Fitness member
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options

Do we know which is the cart and which is the horse ? Were elevated blood sugars present leading to accumulation of fat and obesity as insulin attempted to drop the blood sugar, or did they get fat with normal blood sugar then the pancreas got messed up with visceral fat ?

It's a very important question, imho!

Certainly if someone is overweight, losing weight helps. But if a person isn't overweight (yet), are they just free and clear? That might be a bad message to send if we aren't sure of that, I think.

If elevated blood sugars lead to weight gain (even in a sub-population), folks could do the same thing they are used to and end up with the problem, unless I'm misunderstanding something.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    May I just add that domesticated pets, can become diebetic as well.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Seems like there's a dialysis clinic in every strip mall. Next there will be drive-thus.....

Edited to add that 18 months ago I was T2D and on medication. Lost 140 lbs and now all I take are supplements. While there is probably a genetic predisposition, the majority of cases are obesity related.
  • grentea
    grentea Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm pre diabetic and I have never been more than 5 pounds overweight. No one in my immediate family or grandparents have it. I have always eaten very healthy. I have none of the risk factors, except I found myself on my way to diabetes. I had many of the symptoms and I had to request several times to be tested because the doctor thought I was making things up. If I didn't have a healthcare background, I would have probably gotten full blown diabetes because it wouldn't have been caught in time. There is not a one size fits all approach to diabetes,but it is something that people should be aware of.

It's always interesting to me that so many people here feel that a calorie is just a calorie and it doesn't matter if they eat junk as long as they don't go over their macros. For some people, that might work. But for others they may find that a high carb diet will lead to diabetes and heart disease.

ETA: you can always request to have your blood sugar tested at routine check ups.
  • Darlekins
    Darlekins Posts: 44
    Options

The diagnostic criteria was much higher 30-40 years ago as well. Lowering what is considered an abnormal glucose level would also account for the percentage of the population with diabetes growing like crazy, particularly with those being diagnosed as pre-diabetic.
  • frangrann
    frangrann Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    As I PT, I treat the results of DMII. From neuropathies, celluitius, amputations, obesity, heart disease, kidney failure....it's a tough cycle to get out of.

My husband had blood work that indicated he was a pre-diabetic. He is tall, thin and active. However he was drinking at least 2 liters of Coke a day and 2-3 glasses of OJ.

Fast forward 4 months....blood work back to normal. He quit drinking coke (not easy for him to not have something he wanted as has never dieted a day in his life ) And now has 1 glass of the 50% less sugar OJ.

Lots of people don't like to be told what to do even by their MD..So they eat and drink what they want......
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    It's great that your husband took the diagnosis of prediabetes so seriously. The American Diabetes Association has this interesting information:

Myth: If you are overweightan above-normal body weight; having a body mass index of 25 to 29.9.X or obese, you will eventually develop type 2 diabetesa condition characterized by high blood glucose levels caused by either a lack of insulin or the body's inability to use insulin efficiently. Type 2 diabetes develops most often in middle-aged and older adults but can appear in young people.X.

Fact: Being overweight is a risk factor for developing this disease, but other risk factors such as family history, ethnicity and age also play a role. Unfortunately, too many people disregard the other risk factors for diabetes and think that weight is the only risk factoranything that raises the chances of a person developing a disease.X for type 2 diabetes. Most overweight people never develop type 2 diabetes, and many people with type 2 diabetes are at a normal weight or only moderately overweight. - See more at: http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/myths/#sthash.fG53iuyG.

~Lynn /Glucerna