am I eating too few calories?

Options
Hi, I've been on here a few months now but only just found my way to the community area.

My starting weight was 306.3lbs. My current weight is 290.2lbs.
I have a lazy thyroid for which I'm taking medication for.

The calorie counter tells me I should be eating 1600 cals daily.
I usually eat approx 1200. Except on a Sunday which I class as a 'free' day and will have a meal out.
I do the gym 3 times a week, usually burning 370 cal doing cardio and 170 cal doing the weights each time.

I only lost 1.8 lbs this week.
My problem is my weight loss is slower than my not so heavy friends' and I'm really frustrated. I've been told by a couple of friends that maybe part of the problem is I'm eating too few calories. But I'm wary of eating more incase I gain back any, that would really knock my motivation that is already weakening daily.

Please advise?

Replies

• impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    You "only" lost almost 2 pounds in a week.

This is not a problem. This is a normal, healthy rate of loss.
  • mnapier3
    mnapier3 Posts: 30
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I think it would be better to eat upwards of 15-1600 calories, with your deficit (from exercise) putting you at 1200. I would think your energy would be way down with eating 1200-300=900 calories...

Aim to fuel your body and be at a deficit with exercise; I think it will serve you better in the long run. AGAIN, I'm no expert, just my honest opinion.
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    If you wouldn't mind, please post your age, gender, height, general activity level (not including the exercise).
  • jessicameadsstephens
    jessicameadsstephens Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I would try eating the 1600 and not weighing for a week or two, theres no way you will gain. I do 1700 calories a day, my weight loss has been slow I have no thyroid just medication but I just keep working at it. I weigh 226 now. from a high of 274. You can do it!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Yes. You are eating too few calories. Trust the process.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Start by reading this - loads of helpful information:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Best of luck!
  • chunkycherub79
    chunkycherub79 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Just to add, I'm a 35yr old woman. 5ft 8" . Activity level I would say is low. My job is sat at a desk most of the day.

Thanks for your replies.

My friend who is 100lb lighter and 4" shorter than I, lost 4lbs this week. She went to the gym only twice and ate more calories than me everyday.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    1.8 is a great loss, well done.

I won't be a hypocrite, I have eaten 1200 (+ exercise cals) before but id say, try the 1600. Or at least, eat back whar MFP says you've burned.

Also, make sure you are weighing/measuring and logging accurately. A lot of people do not realise they are overeating because of inaccurate logging.
  • mnapier3
    mnapier3 Posts: 30
    Options
    Every one is the same as far as bones and muscles (we all have them) but we all have different body types that respond to this or that differently. Don't compare your weight loss with others, but strive to be the best you!
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    You are losing. Your "only 1.8lbs" is a nice loss. Why not eat the 1600 calories? You need them to fuel your body properly.

I know this has already been said but........TRUST THE PROCESS!!
  • ofccat
    ofccat Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I agree on what your activity level, etc is to determine this, But most likely if it says 1600 calories you should most likely eat closer to that amount. unless you have put in activity level to high/low, etc. Anyway 2 pounds in a week is a great loss.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Just to add, I'm a 35yr old woman. 5ft 8" . Activity level I would say is low. My job is sat at a desk most of the day.

Thanks for your replies.

My friend who is 100lb lighter and 4" shorter than I, lost 4lbs this week. She went to the gym only twice and ate more calories than me everyday.

From the information you've given your BMR is around 2067. This is the amount your body would need to function if you lay in bed all day so you should aim for above this number. Don't worry about how much other people are losing compared to you, it's not a race or a diet, it's a change to being healthy :flowerforyou:
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

Thanks for your replies.

I'm the same height as you are and I eat 1612 a day and still lose. Right now, I'm 10-15 lbs from my ultimate goal, so my weight loss is very slow at the moment, but I'm still losing. If I can lose on 1600, you can too. So eat what you're given!
  • chunkycherub79
    Options
    Thanks for your replies :)

Everybody does seem to be saying along the same lines of eat closer to the mfp given of 1600.
    Really that should please me being told to eat more. But it doesn't. It sort of worries me.
    But I'm gonna give it a try for a week. See how it goes.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies :)

Everybody does seem to be saying along the same lines of eat closer to the mfp given of 1600.
    Really that should please me being told to eat more. But it doesn't. It sort of worries me.
    But I'm gonna give it a try for a week. See how it goes.

You need to give it more like 8 weeks. A week isn't enough time to see the effects of the changes you are making :flowerforyou:
  • chunkycherub79
    Options
    8 weeks? Wow that's about as long as I've been going already (O_0)
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    8 weeks? Wow that's about as long as I've been going already (O_0)

Things do not just change in one week. Bump up your calories by about 500 each week until you work up to the 1600. I eat 1550 each week and I am still losing. Concentrate on getting healthy, not just losing the weight.
  • chunkycherub79
    Options
    Yeh I've started the gym a few weeks ago and can already feel myself fitter and stronger. I've increased my wrk out routine a few times already, since the routine my instructor set out for me, as I've thought I wasn't sweating enough or it felt comfortable.

:)
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    First off, congrats on starting this. Second, it is going to take time and 2 lbs (or close to it) is a good rate of loss. You can't compare yourself to your friend. You have your own challenges. It isn't fair to compare yourself to someone else when you don't really know what they are doing and how their body responds to things. That 4 lbs was probably made up of some water weight.

Could you gain if you increase your calories, initially yes, but that will even out and you will start to lose again shortly. The thing that you need to realize is that too large of a deficit can over stress the body and create a sub-optimal condition that will slow your loss. Calories are a tricky thing and it takes time and patience figuring out what works best for YOU. It may be worth talking with your doctor to determine how your thyroid condition effects your weight loss. Knowledge is power and the more you know, the better you will be able to determine what is best for you.

Here is an interesting article that may get you started in understanding why the large calorie deficit can be detrimental to your sustained progress. http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html
    He has many other good (study backed) articles. I know you are not in the over doing it at the gym category, but the information could still apply.
  • meleileen
    meleileen Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 1.8! I highly recommend you eat your 3 meals and add in 2 healthy snacks to keep your metabolism going. I agree to with everyone else with 1600 calories. But I would be careful eating the calories you earn from exercise...Personally, I would only eat half of them back, if at all. And remember drink lots of water. Good luck and keep positive! You got this! If you need motivation or a friend feel free to friend me on here.

-Melissa