so...protein powder pancakes were a bust. any ideas?

Options
anyone have any protein powder recipes? preferably no flour or oats? or very little flour. Thanks!

Replies

• amblight
    amblight Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    In, because I also tried to make pancakes out of protein powder. Blargh!
  • leaner426
    leaner426 Posts: 90
    Options
    Protein powder flavor of your choice with lowfat yogurt (vanilla or greek). I like chocolate. Or microwave frozen blueberries and mix in some yogurt and protein powder.
  • Jenky85
    Jenky85 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Oh no I'm planning on making protein pancakes tomorrow morning!! :( what was wrong with them?

I'm going to try protein powder in my porridge (oatmeal) this week...hopefully it will be nice. You can also add the powder to smoothies.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Don't bother just make normal pancakes and have a protein shake,

Something about the texture of whey just doesn't work in pancakes any in any recipes I have tried.
  • zoefruitcake
    Options
    I made my porridge with protein power on Wednesday, it wasn't a success :(
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Surely, no matter how bad they were, Nutella could make it better :)
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I was going to try and make protein banana oatmeal pancakes but never did. I tried making protein pancakes once before and they were naasty. All recipes that I've tried that involve protein powder have never turned out very good. (although to be fair, I haven't tried very many) I prefer just putting chocolate protein powder in my milk and drinking it that way... I've put a scoop of vanilla powder in my fruit smoothie before and it was alright. I'd rather have my smoothie without, though.
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I know you said preferably no flour, but I just use 3/4 a cup of the bisquik that you just add with water, about 1/4 cup a water and then add a whole scoop of protein powder (mine is protizyme peanut butter cookie) and then I add some bananas in it and instead of syrup I put some peanut butter and honey on top. They've always turned out great. I've tried making them without the flour and I've used a Banana and 2 eggs(I believe its 2 but could be a little off) and some milk and you can make pancakes that way (and just add about 1/2 scoop of powder) and it works, but they can be a little bit flatter than regular pancakes.
  • RamaAkyer
    RamaAkyer Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I used to have the same problem with protein pancakes. The consistency turns out to be not very good.
    I now add a table spoon of unsweetened cocoa powder and it's been my all time favorite protein meal :)

Here's what I use for my protein pancakes:

50 grams of oats
    4 Egg whites
    1 scoop of protein powder
    1 tablespoon of cocoa powder
    1 tablespoon of skimmed milk (or I use Greek / Turkish yogurt if I don't have milk)
    half banana (mashed)
    some cinnamon
    one serving of stevia (or any kind of sweetner)

Edit: Woops! I totally forgot that you said no oats. Well, I love oats :) and never tried without them, but you can try leaving it out and can use 2 egg whites instead of 4, maybe.
  • lizzardsm
    lizzardsm Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    i've made oatmeal with protein powder! cook the oatmeal normally then add 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder and some extra milk. it makes the oatmeal a little soupy but it's delicious!
  • california_haley
    california_haley Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    i like making banana pancakes.
    Here's what you'll need:
    Two large, ripe bananas
    Four 4 eggs

Optional: 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder

Just mix this all up together thoroughly (with a hand or standing mixer if you can) and cook in a pan like you would with any pancake. I believe you'll appreciate adding the baking powder. Without it, they don't rise much and can feel a bit like banana eggs. That said, they're still tasty and very quick to make. Don't expect your standard pancake and you might be pleasantly surprised.
  • lq022
    lq022 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I found a protein pancake recipe online that used only rolled oats, protein powder, eggs, cinnamon & vanilla .... It basically tasted like a chocolate eggs lol ... Unfortunately, the best recipes have some flour in it or else it just wont taste like you'd want it to

Maybe make it with less flour, or whole wheat flour? or gluten-free flour ?
  • 1234567eeeeeee
    Options
    Hi - I am vegetarian and always make pancakes from besan flour / chic pea flour as I don't eat egg and these can be made with water. I do not know the calorific value though - but at least they are made with water.
  • centaurizoe
    centaurizoe Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!

It didn't work out as in it looked like scrambled eggs...
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I just mashed the powered into a banana with a tablespoon of fat free half and half and froze it - worked for me !
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Don't bother just make normal pancakes and have a protein shake,

Something about the texture of whey just doesn't work in pancakes any in any recipes I have tried.

I would totally just make regular pancakes and using bisquick - just me but if I want a pancake I want a pancake (I don't crave them often maybe 3 times a year) :drinker:
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    The best ones I've tried were ones I made by simply replacing about 1/4 of the pancake dry mix with whey protein powder. They still were not great and I finally decided to simply eat regular pancakes when I wanted pancakes and drink a protein shake with them or otherwise hit my protein macro.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I like French toast with protein powder: eggs, vanilla whey, cinnamon and vanilla. Dip in bread, fry and so yummy with maple syrup:)
  • Stumblebee364
    Options
    I like them. They're not exactly like pancakes, but 1 scoop protein powder mixed with 1 egg always works for me. I like them when they're a bit undercooked in the middle.
  • archaichoney
    archaichoney Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Secret to good protein pancakes: PEA PROTEIN POWDER.

I cannot stress this enough. I am a protein pancake MASTER. Trust me. Too much whey and you'll have rubber. I forgot the pea protein this morning and was like, "WTF is wrong with these pancakes!?"

I use about .25 of a scoop pea protein, .5 scoop whey, .5 scoop casein. I find casein is great for texture too. You need the oats or some grain as a filler. A little fruit for moisture, preferably a banana. Do not forget baking powder either, you need a rise for that fluff.