65 and new to the site

Options
Hi - I'm 65, retired, somewhat active ( I go to the gym 2-3 x a week, aerobics class 1x a week and walk often)... somewhere along the line I gained about 40 pounds -- and am seriously going to lose at least 30 of it. I think my real problem is that I love junk food - chocolate, bread, chips, cheese. If it's bad for me it's what I crave. Over and over I have read and heard that tracking food is really a necessity if you want to lose weight - so here I am.. new to the forum, new to sharing the fact that I need help with this and new to being accountable.

Maxine
upstate new york

Replies

• Brelynn
    Brelynn Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the site. I am almost 60, retired, somewhat active - I try to walk about 30 to 40 minutes a day. Over the course of my weight loss journey I have lost about 40 pounds and am now struggling to maintain, but those extra pounds seem to keep creeping back. My problem is that I enjoy many of the same foods you do, and have a very hard time controlling temptation especially in the evening. I have to admit I am not very good at tracking, but you can add me as a friend if you would like.
    Brenda
    Canada
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Welcome Maxine

I am cracking onto 71 in April, walk most days for about an hour, and have just this week finally reached my goal target, which was about a year later than I had initially anticipated, much like Brelynn, just kept creeping up a bit, then down a bit

Add me if you wish

Mike
    Portsmouth, England
  • rainebow
    rainebow Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!
    I am Lorraine and I am signing up for my second time on this site. I am soon to be 66 years old, married and have two grown daughters and two grandchildren. I need to lost at least 60 lbs. and that seems completely overwhelming to me. I am a cancer patient, and after my chemo and radiation was done, I had lost 40 lbs. It felt wonderful!! But it was not a good way to lose weight. And since my taste buds have healed and I can taste food again, all that weight has returned. I know I have to have good nutrition in order to keep on recovering, so this site seemed to offer me the best way to track not only calories, but other factors as well. And I love that the food sources are so complete and include brand names, so I don't have to figure out all the details myself. I am quite sedentary, and am trying to end that, with very small baby steps, like walking slowly 15 minutes per day, in addition to my normal in-house cleaning, etc. I am very easily discouraged, and right now, I just feel overwhelmed with all I have to do to keep myself healing and gaining strength. Any encouragement you can offer would be much appreciated.