Packing food

Options
What are foods I could pack to eat for dinner without a microwave or fridge? Is it ok If i heat up and pack chicken, sweet potato and green beans and eat it 1-2 hours later?

Replies

• craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    What are foods I could pack to eat for dinner without a microwave or fridge? Is it ok If i heat up and pack chicken, sweet potato and green beans and eat it 1-2 hours later?

It's okay if you don't mind food poisoning. Food such as you described, especially the chicken, needs to be kept refrigerated somehow. Cooking it the night before and putting it in a insulated lunch bag/box with "blue ice" is one way as long as there is plenty of ice.

This might help: http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/food-poisoning/preventing-food-poisoning

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/safe-food-handling/keeping-bag-lunches-safe/ct_index
  • toronto_j
    toronto_j Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Chicken won't go bad in 1-2 hours.
  • Michelle9055
    Michelle9055 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Could I just pack it cold?
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    For cold meals I pack turkey meatballs/grilled chicken breast nuggets/hard boiled eggs with whatever veggies. I keep it in an insulated lunch box with 2 ice packs. If I have room I'll also pack fruit
  • imacowgirl2
    imacowgirl2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't pack hot food for eating later...it would be in the danger zone for too long, and likely only be lukewarm when you were ready to eat it. Instead, focus on foods that you can eat cold, and invest in a good lunch box/cooler and ice packs to keep them at safe temperatures. Some of my favorites:

Meatballs
    Chicken salad with whole wheat crackers
    Tuna salad with whole wheat crackers
    Overnight no-cook oatmeal
    Raw fruits and vegetables
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Best to keep it cold - I would opt for maybe salads and add the chicken for protein or make sandwiches or wraps. Also include some raw veg and fruit. Maybe a single serving size of yogurt or cottage cheese. These would all keep well in a cooler bag with an ice pack. If you have one of those thermos hot food saver things then I would consider taking soup.
  • capi99
    capi99 Posts: 21
    Options
    I usually take a salad with chicken to work, and am too lazy to throw in the fridge, and 'knock on wood', never been sick from it sitting there for a couple of hours. But to be safe, probably get one of those insulated lunch bags.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    I carry my own lunch to work about 3 days a week, on average. I bought a soft sided lunch container with an insert for a freezer pack, and I generally eat whatever we had for dinner the night before. My wife just makes a bit extra. I usually add a Greek yogurt and some fruit. It definitely helps keep me on track.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't pack hot food for eating later...it would be in the danger zone for too long, and likely only be lukewarm when you were ready to eat it. Instead, focus on foods that you can eat cold, and invest in a good lunch box/cooler and ice packs to keep them at safe temperatures.
    ^This.

If you want hot food, get a wide-mouth Thermos (aka vacuum bottle).