Anyone started running at 40?

Options

Replies

• heroeslegend
    heroeslegend Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I started running at 36 following a broken back. All this scare mongering is restricted to younger people who push themselves too hard too soon.

I'd encourage you to download one of the bazillions of couch to 5k apps, or simply install runkeeper and use their plans.

Slow and steady definitely wins the race!
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I started after 40 and have had no issues. Just go slow, wear the right shoes, stretch and listen to your body.
  • One2Run
    One2Run Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I started at 41, worked up my mileage, and ran my first half marathon 10 months later, 2nd half was six months after that and I broke 2hrs. :)

Just try not to do too much too soon. Increase your mileage by 10% per week. You don't need to be fast in the beginning, it comes naturally later on.
  • sulyha
    sulyha Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I started Couch-to-5K when I was 41. I had never really run before that, and on the rare occasions I had tried I hated it and thought it was physically impossible for me. Well, I stuck with c25k and then went on to "bridge to 10K" and less than a year later ran a half marathon. It is totally possible to start running in your 40s! Just make sure to get properly fitted for shoes at a running specialty store (at least the first time) and get a good bra.

Good Luck!
  • Icemanbn
    Icemanbn Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I started running in 2008. I was 57. I was down from 400 to about 250 by then and the bike wasn't enough anymore. I needed to cross train. So I ran and started swimming. I did my first triathlon in 2009. My first half IronMan in 2010. My first IronMan in 2011. (I knew I had a hernia then, it was the colon cancer that was a surprise. Second bout with cancer at that point.) I did HIM Branson 70.3 in 2012 and finished IronMan Wisconsin again in 2013 in time for my first Social Security check.

That thing you think you can't do? You're wrong.

Scott Richardson
    "It's hard to be me, I just make it look easy."
    USAT level 1 coach.
  • Popsing
    Popsing Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My mom started running at 64 and she lost a lot of weight. I asked her why and she said, "I didn't want to be a fat 65-year-old." She ran slowly, but she kept it up for years.
  • Ahlamkabeera
    Ahlamkabeera Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I did not know about C25k. Looked it up and seems like something I can try.
  • meganmmacintyre
    Options
    I am so glad you asked this question and was very encouraged by all the great examples posted. I am 41 and just signed up for five 5km trail runs between May and September of this year.

I had been trying to calorie count and do moderate exercise around my sedentary full time job and that was getting me nowhere, so I joined a boot camp and I LOVE it. In just 2 weeks I could do 10+ push ups on toes. I couldn't believe it because I am at least 60 lbs overweight and could never do push ups on my toes, even when I was young and super skinny. When I doubt that this new strength is real, I get on the floor and do 10 more. :smile: Who knew all this time I needed something harder and more challenging!

Between boot camp days I wanted to do more cardio and decided my long walks weren't helping me lose weight so I decided to step it up. That's when I shifted my goal from weight loss to training for my first 5k in May. That's when all this exercise and calorie counting became fun for me, and not just a pain in the butt at the end of a long day.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I started running at 40. Best decision I'd made in a long time.
  • RenaHewitt
    RenaHewitt Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    bump :)

I will be 47 this year. I have done one 5k, where I came in officially last - I'm ready to move it on up a notch....
  • 2nd_Coffee
    Options
    Going to be 45 this year and getting serious about running this year as well.
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I started running at 46. I'll be 49 in about three weeks. Ran my first 50k (yes, 50) last December and running second one in April. Haters gonna hate regardless. Do what you want, be smart about training and enjoy! For my 50th birthday I'll be running a 50 miler! :)
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I was runner in high school up to my early 30's. When I started getting back into exercising in my early 40's my knees just couldn't take the pounding any more. At 47 now I mainly do the stationary bike for my cardio.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Hi, wonderful people...anyone started running at 40. I am about to start a training session and a lot of people are scaring the hell out of me, that I will bust my knees or have a heart problem and all kinds of really morbid warnings. Is there anything I should keep in mind? I have never run, but I do yoga and till last year was in kettle bell training. I have been into some form of exercise most of my life. TIA any encouraging message would be wonderful :smile:

I started at 45 years old and 280 lbs. I'm 170 now 18 months later and knocking on the door of my second marathon.

what are you waiting for?

Oh yeah..I also suffer from chronic pain and cervical spondyolosis.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I started running at 40. Best decision I'd made in a long time.

my type of superhero.
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I started at age 45. Take it slow, don't increase your mileage too fast. Make sure you have proper shoes. Get fitted at a real running store where they can analyze your stride, etc. Google "Runner's World: Build a Better Knee" and follow the exercises in there for strengthening. Don't blow off cross training. Your muscles protect your tendons and your joints. Don't neglect stretching. Fuel your activity with appropriate food intake. Get plenty of rest. Buy a foam roller and make friends with it. And enjoy! Running is awesome. Most of all, listen to your body. Pain is a message that you're doing something wrong. Don't try to "run through" or "tough it out". Listen to the signals. As with any exercise, doing it with crap form will lead to injury quicker than doing it with proper form.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I started about a year and a half ago with a C25K program. Yesterday's run was about 12.5 miles of hilly trails. My legs/knees have been fantastic. I also strength train, which has probably played a role.

Here is a great thread for anyone starting out:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running
  • 250gorilla
    250gorilla Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am 50 and started jogging for the first time in my life at 49 years old. I do have bad knees. I try to jog indoors or on dirt mostly, But I have jogged some on concrete. If it starts hurting I walk. I am able to jog 3 miles in 36 minutes with out stopping. No real heart problems just a low heart rate sometimes. Good Luck on your journey. Don't limit yourself. Try new things.
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I re-started running at 47 (ran mid distance track 800s, 1500s in my 20s (in college)), and a few of road races for run). I will be 50 in a few months, and I feel I am fitter now, even though I am slower :huh: . Hoping to beat my 5K college age PR, not sure if it is possible or not, but I am still trying!!! :smokin: I love to run races!!! and it keeps me more motivated to run.
  • jeeplovin
    jeeplovin Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I started running at 50 1/2 yrs old. It has not killed me yet :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!