plateau :-(

Options
2»

Replies

• loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    If your food log is correct then you need to eat more!
  • LosingItForGood13
    LosingItForGood13 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    try switching up your exercise routines
  • ratchet2
    ratchet2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I don't really have any advice, I just wanted you to know that I can empathize with you. I have plateaued for the past 9 months. Eat the required calories, maybe increase the intensity of your workout, and stick with it. The positive is that you haven't gained. Remember muscles burn more calories than fat.
  • gary5661
    gary5661 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for advice, I'd just like to add a few things. Im 6ft tall and have been weight training for the last 4 years with no cardio. Always been big but wanted to be toned and thought I could weightlift myself into shape, tried to loose weight by eating fresh salad every day and a proper dinner, but just kept stalling out at 19stone(266lbs) then I went on to the bodybuilding forum and myfitness pal was recommended to me so on the 6th of january this year I made the descision I want to be able to see the fruits of my work I have done in the gym over the last 4 years. so I dusted the bicycle off and started pedaling the 5mile to and 5mile from work everyday and logged it through mapmyride to get accurate calories, So now I'm cycling 50 miles per week and the weather has been terrible in south wales over the last 2 months. still go to the gym and lift heavy 4 days a week 1hour per time I try and do. Then my diet.
    Luckily my wife has been very supportive towards this she would like to loose a few pounds as well we do eat a lot of veg now and I know there is alternatives to slim fast shake but it is a balanced meal. as for eating back my excercise calories Ive read a lot about this and some people do and some people dont, my take on this is why excercise and use those calories then eat them back again ???
    and I know Im not eating a lot of calories at the moment but I just want to get the weight off
  • gary5661
    gary5661 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    thanks
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    y take on this is why excercise and use those calories then eat them back again ???
    First off - a good reason NOT to exceed a specific deficit is that it can lead to excess catabolism - losing weight from muscle as well as fat.

So, there's two ways to approach this to my mind. Have a smaller deficit and if you do some exercise, accept that day you'll have a bigger deficit.
    Or look to have the same deficit everyday, but eat back the calories you are burning. With this method, which I use, I accept that exercising is done both to allow more eating AND to improve cardio fitness.

In the end, if you want a bigger deficit you CAN just eat less.
    There's other negatives to regularly being at big deficit - you may find your body burns less calories generally, lethargy and so on.
  • dholno
    dholno Posts: 14
    Options
    ....., my take on this is why excercise and use those calories then eat them back again ???
    and I know Im not eating a lot of calories at the moment but I just want to get the weight off
    I saw your dairy. Don't get me wrong but it looks you are making the usual "Triple U" diet mistake: Unbalance, Unhealthy and Under eating

1. You may want to check those calories measurements. It doesn't sounds right a chip chop chips under 400 calories? KFC under 300?
    2. McDonald for breakfast? A Chinese takeaway without Trans?' Frozen food (check those nutrition fact in most of the v. cheap supermarkets products ...you are eating everything but the meal in the label and Takeaways as main meals?
    3. Under 600 calories in some days for a 32yr old male? ...something is not right there...

My 2 cents, check those U's and replace them with the "big B": balance diet ....

DH