Will drinking too much water cause water retention?

Options
13»

Replies

• data3567
    data3567 Posts: 21
    Options
    Fail to see anything in there to indicate that drinking too much water is 'hogwash,' and in fact see a specific reference to hyponatremia. I also fail to see any actual science behind his 'uber simple hydration formula.'

I fail to see any actual science in any of these posts...

Hypernatremia, polydipsia, and self-induced water intoxication (among other water imbalance disorders) are legit pathologies (physiological and psychological in nature). You are welcome to do your own "homework" - I suggest starting with PubMed.

Right..... because if it's on the web... it's scripture!
  • 281Danielle
    281Danielle Posts: 113
    Options
    Honestly I only drink water and I go through between 10-12 20 oz bottles (filtered bottles not actually wasting that much plastic lol) to some that might seem like a lot but I only drink when I am thirsty and I have had zero issues with retaining water. I don't know a lot about water retaining or anything but this is my experience.

If your biological processes are operating normally (which hopefully they are), then you shouldn't experience water retention with your current water consumption levels. (If you are curious how the body maintains fluid balance, read this: http://mcb.berkeley.edu/courses/mcb135e/kidneyfluid.html). Normally, higher ingestion of large volumes of water alone (when not coupled with greater ingestion of sodium) does not lead to water retention - it's usually the opposite effect because the body is trying to maintain fluid-electrolyte homeostasis and reduce the increased blood volume. Drinking more water triggers the
    kidneys to excrete the excess water, not save it. So, you may be giving your kidneys a serious workout. I recommend making sure you are getting enough electrolytes if you are consuming an above average amount of water each day. (Search for electrolyte supplements for athletes.)

Edited for typo.
    Thanks for the info, i have always drank a lot but never just water i will for sure start to drink at least one drink a day with electrolytes in it. My sodium level is always above the recommended amount so that maybe the reason I don't retain water, I'm not sure.
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Fail to see anything in there to indicate that drinking too much water is 'hogwash,' and in fact see a specific reference to hyponatremia. I also fail to see any actual science behind his 'uber simple hydration formula.'

Hypernatremia, polydipsia, and self-induced water intoxication (among other water imbalance disorders) are legit pathologies (physiological and psychological in nature). You are welcome to do your own "homework" - I suggest starting with PubMed.

No, PubMed is a database of medical journal articles. This is not about "oooh, it's on the web, so it must be true." We're talking legit peer-reviewed research articles. I'm guessing you're either troll or don't have much formal education to understand the difference.
  • AlwaysInMotion
    Options
    Honestly I only drink water and I go through between 10-12 20 oz bottles (filtered bottles not actually wasting that much plastic lol) to some that might seem like a lot but I only drink when I am thirsty and I have had zero issues with retaining water. I don't know a lot about water retaining or anything but this is my experience.

If your biological processes are operating normally (which hopefully they are), then you shouldn't experience water retention with your current water consumption levels. (If you are curious how the body maintains fluid balance, read this: http://mcb.berkeley.edu/courses/mcb135e/kidneyfluid.html). Normally, higher ingestion of large volumes of water alone (when not coupled with greater ingestion of sodium) does not lead to water retention - it's usually the opposite effect because the body is trying to maintain fluid-electrolyte homeostasis and reduce the increased blood volume. Drinking more water triggers the
    kidneys to excrete the excess water, not save it. So, you may be giving your kidneys a serious workout. I recommend making sure you are getting enough electrolytes if you are consuming an above average amount of water each day. (Search for electrolyte supplements for athletes.)

Edited for typo.
    Thanks for the info, i have always drank a lot but never just water i will for sure start to drink at least one drink a day with electrolytes in it. My sodium level is always above the recommended amount so that maybe the reason I don't retain water, I'm not sure.

If your sodium is high, then that leads to water retention. But, it sounds like you're drinking even more water to cancel those effects out. Just so you know, sodium (Na+) is an electrolyte. In case you are wondering, the others are potassium (K+), calcium (Ca2+), bicarbonate (HCO3-), magnesium (Mg2+), chloride (C1-), hydrogen phosphate (HPO42-), and hydrogen carbonate (HCO3-). You need those, too! They're vital to keep your body running well! Just so you know, electrolytes regulate our nerve and muscle function, our body's hydration, blood pH, blood pressure, and the rebuilding of damaged tissue. When you consume lots and lots of plain water, you may be offsetting your normal electrolyte balance. It's like making a pitcher of Kool-Aid and adding way too much water - it becomes pale and undrinkable (that is - very dilute)! So, you need to make sure you're getting enough electrolytes in proportion to the large amounts of water you are consuming (like adding more Kool-Aid powder so it's normal/drinkable again.) Sorry for the science lesson.... I think this stuff is kinda kool and it never hurts to share...
  • aarondnguyen
    aarondnguyen Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    2 gallons a day checking innnn
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Drinking water does not cause water retention, it'll be explled by your body in a few hours.

Eating high sodium foods makes your body hold on to water.

It's funny how when you pay attention to your sodium intake,
    everything else kind of falls right in to line. It's the first thing
    I check when I'm comparing foods.
  • goredguar
    goredguar Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    (Not really directed at the OP but I thought I'd just put this forward to data3567)

I'm in my final year of biomedical sciences, having covered water and the body in detail.

Hypernatremia exists, though it's quite rare. (For example, a 30 year old woman died of it in the 2012 London Marathon).

What alwaysinmotion says about PubMed is true - it is a database linking scientific research articles and reviews - not some blog by a self-proclaimed 'professional'.
  • Grannyfan
    Grannyfan Posts: 11
    Options
    The more water you drink, the more you pee ,right? I sure hope you are peeing to the level one would expect after consuming that much liquid per day. You really do seem to be going over the top with the fluids. This would definitely not cause fluid retention in a healthy person. But it could caus other problems such as cramp, or pain in your muscles, or complete lethargy through the dilution and loss of healthy much needed nutrients, salts and minerals that our bodies take from our food. Things like potassium, magnesium, etc. These are literally washed away from our systems if we pee excessively. That could cause your muscles to cramp and become sore.
    If you are doing work outs, which produce perspiration, you can also loose precious salts and minerals that way as well.
    It is good to hydrate yourself properly, especially during times of physical activity, hot weather etc, but honestly, you sound as though you are almost drowning yourself . As in all things, you have to strike a balance. Too much or too little of anything can cause problems.

Anyone who does have a problem with water retention, can usually tell quite easily . The feet and ankles will be the first to swell up , and perhaps fingers as well . If the feet and ankles look puffy, and when you press in on them with your finger, an indentation will remain after you remove your hand . It will gradually, puff up again as the fluid in your tissues comes back to the surface. When there is no fluid retention, you don't have any puffiness or dents in your flesh when pressure is applied.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    4-5 liters (130 - 165oz) a day. Still not retaining water (or dead)!
  • joan23_us
    joan23_us Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I've gained a kg after drinking like 19 glasses of water for a few days can this be the reason for my 1kg gained?

the benefits of drinking heaps of water outweighs the 1 kg of scale weight which you are not sure if at all fat gain... water retention is caused by depleting water not drinking plenty of it... drink plenty of water to flush out more water in your body...

this guy sounds funny but he knows his stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgAxpZ5pLK4
  • data3567
    Options

No, PubMed is a database of medical journal articles. This is not about "oooh, it's on the web, so it must be true." We're talking legit peer-reviewed research articles. I'm guessing you're either troll or don't have much formal education to understand the difference.

Wow..... name calling and insults.... did that take education?
  • AlwaysInMotion
    Options

Name calling? If you choose to behave like a troll on a discussion board (you can look up the definition of an internet troll if you disagree), then it's not that unusual that others would point it out. And questioning whether you understand what PubMed is or whether you have any post-secondary education is not being insulting. You chose to take offense.

Edited to fix missing quote format tags.
  • data3567
    Options

Name calling? If you choose to behave like a troll on a discussion board (you can look up the definition of an internet troll if you disagree), then it's not that unusual that others would point it out. And questioning whether you understand what PubMed is or whether you have any post-secondary education is not being insulting. You chose to take offense.

Edited to fix missing quote format tags.

No offense taken... it's just fun to watch your replies get longer and longer...
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    19 glasses, sounds nuts.
  • owenmhartley
    owenmhartley Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Not getting enough water will result in water retention--your body will cling onto the already available water you have inside as a defense mechanism since it doesn't know when it'll get any more again. A good way to tell whether you're getting adequate amounts is by the color of your urine. Clear is good. I drink 1.5 to 2 gallons daily and feel great. Allow about a 4 hour grace period before going to work/sleep/class or be prepared to go to the restroom every 10 minutes ????

This
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I sometimes get up to about 15 glasses in a day if i've been working out... because that's all I drink except for my 1 cup of coffee and the occasional glass of wine. If you have a high sodium intake, drinking the extra water could help flood that out... and your muscles hold onto more water to repair themselves. That is usually when I see water weight retention, right after a lifting day. So, I know not to really worry about what it says on the scale until I've had 2 rest days in a row and everything has levelled out again.