P90X3

Options
Anybody planning on doing P90X3? In the interest of full disclosure, I am a BB Coach who happens to be genuinely excited about this one! I am ordering it on the 10th when it releases and I am planning on starting it on the 16th. I was thinking about getting a Challenge group going for it as well. Based on what I've read and seen it looks pretty awesome. I am in Phase 2 of P90X now and I'm struggling to some degree with the length of the workouts. By the time I get the workouts done and then make dinner it's pretty much time for bed.

Replies

• Dragonflag07
    Dragonflag07 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've worked my way through a few rounds of P90X, then Insanity, Asylum. I'm on my 3rd round of Body Beast and really like the shorter workouts on the Bulk phase - you can pour much more into them without consciously 'pacing yourself'. I have to say, I dont think I could put up with Tony's chatter again but in principal the shorter workouts seem a good idea - especially if there's less in the way of breaks and chat.
  • joshthomas77
    Options
    I agree with you about his chatter. I had grown use to T25 and Les Mills were there isn't a whole lot of that. That first week back in to P90X and the workouts just seemed to drag. I'm not saying there not effective, just that they can kind of seem to wander some. I purchased Body Beast, haven't done anything with it yet but it sounds like it is a great program for bulking up.
  • vegas711
    vegas711 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Just finished T25 and absolutely rollin into P90X3. I'm a 2 time P90X grad. great programs
  • suppakana
    suppakana Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I plan on getting X3! It looks soo good, and I'm excited for it.

However, I just re-started Turbofire; I'll probably be doing X3 sometime this spring instead of during the witner ^_^; My mom's buying it for me for the Holidays.
  • joshthomas77
    Options
    I finished T25 earlier in the fall and loved it. I saw great results and will still double up with a T25 workout in the AM and a P90X workout in the evening. At this point, I am inclined to start P90X3 as soon as it arrives. A lot of the transformation videos are pretty impressive and some of the workout vids that Tony has been posting to youtube lately have also been great. It is also my understanding that they've tried to simplify the nutrition plan in X3. Apparently, it's going to be based more on the Power 90 "Michi's Ladder" approach than the nutrition plan that was provided with P90X.
  • Dawn_Snowden
    Dawn_Snowden Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm a BB coach too and plan to be right there with you on P90X3. Buying it on the 10th and starting it the week after I receive it. X3 boasts new MMX and Pilates moves, and the yoga is only 30 minutes like all the other workouts in this program. I like how it breaks the 90 days into 3 cycles. I am beyond excited!!!!

I'm also excited to see the Power 90 nutrition plan again. Simple is always better.

P90X3 does not require prior experience with P90X. It's not a more advanced version (like X2 was), so it is PERFECT for any fitness level. Supposedly there's modified moves in the workouts.
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I'm going to wait and see what people have to say about the program; I'm planning to start my 12-weeks of Body Beast next week. :smile:
  • Dawn_Snowden
    Dawn_Snowden Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 4 of P90X3 and all I can say is THIS PROGRAM IS AMAZING!! Tony Horton nails it with this workout. I've done P90X and T25, and P90X3 is the best of all worlds. Each workout has someone who is modifying and someone who is extending/challenging so all fitness levels are included. Just 30 minutes!

Feel free to message me if you have specific questions.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I'm not a coach, so I'll give you a honest response. I'm not sold on this program being amazing. I started yesterday after doing T25 Alpha and Beta cycles. I fully admit that I am not in the best shape in the world, and use some of the modifications. You can't walk into this program out of nowhere. The modifications are NOT for all fitness levels, as much as Tony might like to advertise that they are. Some people are not going to be able to do boat plows or those Brannon things, and there is no proper modification shown for people who are unable to keep their legs in a V-position for the duration of ab work. For some of the yoga moves - forget it, you're just going to have to deal with falling on your butt.

I also am not sold on Tony's style as a trainer. He occasionally references the weight that his test group person is using, but we get no further guidance on what weight different people are using. We get instructions like "choose a light weight" - what is a light weight in the P90x world? Occasionally he talks about an exercise being done for the duration of time, but other times, you get no guidance as to how to get the best results - should I be using a heavier weight for fewer reps to progress, or is keeping up with the crew with a lighter weight the way to go for the purpose of the exercise? Am I supposed to be working to failure or near-failure? Who knows, and Tony's not going to tell you.

I did not find that I got a significant calorie burn difference compared to what I had during comparable resistance workouts in T25. Also not feeling any kind of DOMS today, which is disappointing, but not really surprising as I did not use dumbbells as heavy as I probably could have for the workout. I went a little lighter on purpose figuring for my first go-round the workout and new movements would smoke me. Not the case. I did sweat, but I wasn't dripping like I would be after a T25 workout.

I've previewed Active X and will be tackling that one tonight. Looks like it could be decent cardio, but we shall see. Perhaps I'll feel differently about the program at the end of the week, but right now, I don't have that "I can't wait to do the next workout" feeling.
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    Mine arrived Friday night but I can not begin until I get Drs clearance. I had 3 surgeries within four days so I'm a little sore right now!!!
    Looking forward to a good program but I'm hoping Mr Horton is NOT to chatty, I hate that.
    Best wishes to you all!!
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on purchasing x3 when I get near the end of doing insanity. I loved the results I got from p90x. Didn't care much for x2 though. Hoping x3 will be like p90x
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    This is my 2nd day of P90X3 and I was surprised to find I burned 600 calories with Agility X. My heart rate got up into the 160s at one point, which does not normally happen with Beachbody workouts. I've done P90X and Insanity in the past. More impressed with P90X than Insanity, in my opinion. My only problem today was I set the tape too far apart (4ft), but I will learn from this and next time go with 3ft and see how that goes.

Anyway, Total Synergistics was fun and so was today's Agility X.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Huh, I didn't know they'd done a third one. I might just give that a shot. I really enjoyed the first p90x a couple of times through. Still do the stretch routine regularly. It's a good one.

And I guess this makes me weird, but I liked Horton's chatter, lol.
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I would like to personally thank Tony Horton for coming up with a shorter version of P90X Yoga. The original version lasted 90 minutes, which I absolutely hated with a passion, but the latest P90X3 lasts only 30 minutes. Fantastic! I’m sure everyone will love that, but I will not be one of them. At least not today. The only time I have Yoga in my workout routine is during my recovery weeks, which come once every month. Otherwise I will be substituting Tempo or Speedwork runs in its place.

Today I ran 5 miles at a 8:37/mile pace. This would have been a fairly good Tempo run if I bumped up the speed a little, but the sad part is this was supposed to be Speedwork. That means a slow, casual jog with two 1-mile bursts at a 8:00/mile pace. I probably could have done that if I tried, but my hamstrings are sore from yesterday’s Agility X. That workout really kicked my butt, so to speak. Anyway, today’s run was challenging, but the 33’F weather was perfect. The roads were completely clear of any snow or ice and there was very little breeze at all. I knew exactly what to wear to stay warm, but not too warm that I would overheat at the grueling pace.

Today I am cooking a Christmas dinner for me and my daughter. Nothing too fancy. Turkey, mashed potatoes, and stuffing. I’ll also cook a sweet potato and green beans for my daughter since those are also her favorite. Yeah, my OCD will help me stay within my menu plan, even on a holiday.
  • pattybate
    pattybate Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    LOOOOOVE p90X 3. Only 2 weeks in but I adore it.