Ladies How to start heavy lifting?

Options
2»

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

There is a sticky in this group that has a readable summary of Stronglifts along with links to videos...
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    When I started back at the gym after a 6 year hiatus, I was taking a Bodypump class and it got me back to some strength that I had lost. I then moved into Strong Lifts 5x5 and have been doing it on and off for the past year. Body pump class will get you some of the form, but I found that the instructor I had would keep people doing partial squats not even to parallel. Stronglifts and Starting Strength go for parallel or ATG if you can hit it. Anything is better than nothing so take your time and look over some of the programs listed and keep going to Body pump until you decide on the appropriate program for you. I will tell you that I saw the best strength gains from Stronglifts over body pump and I also saw better body composition results from SL as well.
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    When I started back at the gym after a 6 year hiatus, I was taking a Bodypump class and it got me back to some strength that I had lost. I then moved into Strong Lifts 5x5 and have been doing it on and off for the past year. Body pump class will get you some of the form, but I found that the instructor I had would keep people doing partial squats not even to parallel. Stronglifts and Starting Strength go for parallel or ATG if you can hit it. Anything is better than nothing so take your time and look over some of the programs listed and keep going to Body pump until you decide on the appropriate program for you. I will tell you that I saw the best strength gains from Stronglifts over body pump and I also saw better body composition results from SL as well.

Yeah I only started doing body pump to get involved in a strength routine. I need to learn a lot more then decide on a plan-then just stick to it. I honestly just did not know where to start. Mostly because I am too shy to go just start something and not know anything about it. the class is getting me comfortable with some of the movements...but right off the start I knew it wasnt exactly what I was looking for. I am going to get a couple books that were recommended to me then I will start a program. I just might have to hire a trainer for a month to get started,
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Since you've done a few BPump classes then you've done some basic barbell movements. I highly recommend reading Starting Strength or checking out the wiki and watching videos online. Start here: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Lifts

If you are open to heavy lifting then I highly recommend getting into the weight room and ditching the class. I did the class for over a year 2-3x/week and did not have much results, it was not for lack of trying either. Less than a year of starting strength and I am much stronger plus my body has changed for the better.
  • Nimroth
    Nimroth Posts: 18
    Options
    Another New Rules for Women fan here. Looked at a couple of other programmes, but this one seemed the most accessible to me. I think just pick a programme and go with it. I wasted a lot of time dithering about picking the perfect programme and figuring out how to make my routine "perfect" by watching loads of videos and reading articles on tnation, bodybuilding.com etc, without actually doing anything. Just dive in somewhere - you have to start to get better! Loud music in my earphones helps me focus on myself and not worry about whether anyone is looking at me funny (which, invariably, they're not). Good luck! :)
  • SwampWitch75
    SwampWitch75 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Don't you need someone to spot you when lifting heavy? That's the biggest drawback for me since I would rarely be at the gym with a friend...
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

There is a sticky in this group that has a readable summary of Stronglifts along with links to videos...

I started with this.

I watched a lot of form videos on YouTube (I like the Rippetoe ones and also the "So You Think You Can Squat/Deadlift/etc" series.

I also uploaded my own videos for form checks on MFP.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Don't you need someone to spot you when lifting heavy? That's the biggest drawback for me since I would rarely be at the gym with a friend...

I always lift alone. The only thing I ever need a spot for is bench and there's usually someone around resting between sets who is willing to help. Never had anyone say no.

Now I lift at home so my husband spots me.

Even if you can't get a spotter you can lift to just shy of failure. And I'd recommend everyone who lifts heavy to learn how to fail correctly, particularly on bench.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options

I always lift alone. The only thing I ever need a spot for is bench and there's usually someone around resting between sets who is willing to help. Never had anyone say no.

Now I lift at home so my husband spots me.

Even if you can't get a spotter you can lift to just shy of failure. And I'd recommend everyone who lifts heavy to learn how to fail correctly, particularly on bench.

This.

And if you are lifting in a power rack, it has safety bars that will make lifting a bit safer. I have only had a spotter for bench and also just asked someone who was there. You can take a bench into a power rack to rely on the bars if you fail.
  • bradleyyharris
    bradleyyharris Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Starting strength is really good for beginners in my opinion
  • juganaut
    juganaut Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    When I started my journey, my friend (a PT) told me to do my weight training before my cardio.
    I hated weight training but did a bit of research (bodybuilding.com) and started focusing on the machines at the gym.
    Leg press - row - lat pull downs - chest press. Occasionally I'd pick up free weights but my arms were a big spaghetti.

Eventually, my muscles developed and i tried other things. Start small, be patient and consistent, and you'll get there. =)
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I personally love Stronglifts. It's simple, fast, and FREE! All the info is online and easy. Especially that link that was posted in another comment about lifting for women on here. You can join the group! It really tells you all you need to know and then you can watch the vids on youtube. You also can do it alone or with a partner. I enjoy working out with my hubby. :bigsmile:
  • sarwatf
    sarwatf Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Wonder if you guys can help ?I'm small ( c. 46kg), and not that young ( 41) so decided to build some muscle strength doing lifting. Issue is I went to a PT and effectively she said to do deadlifts / squats at 3x10 reps. I was under impression fewer reps and heavier weights was the way forward -- however given I am only able to deadlift 12kg / squat 10kg ( at those reps , although I find the barbell squat stance awkward so today just did extra deadlifts)-- is it advisable to slightly increase the higher rep weight first ( ie get somewhat stronger) before switching to lower reps /higher weights?
  • QueenOSpades
    QueenOSpades Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Bump for reference.