outgrowing resistance bands?

Options
i hve some green golds gym ones. the length is right, but i'm just starting out and it doesnt feel very challenging. i do bicep curls and tricep rows, 12 x2 i would have thought that being i had just started out i would have had SOME muscle soreness, but nothing. so i'm thinking its not enough.

the only other thing i have is a 5 # hand weight.

what do i do? i have NO money. went over budget on food this week. increase reps until i can get something else? adjust the band (how?) lift my 28 pound toddler? (j/k.. kinda... he does like bicep curls)

Replies

• grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    There are many places online where you can find exercises that utilize your own body weight. I have very little room in my home, so that is the route I tend to take.
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Do 15-20 reps and repeat 4-5 Times. You should have a weakness at the end if each set. Rest a minute and repeat.
  • lisainpotown
    lisainpotown Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You can lessen the slack with some exercises. Resistance bands come in varying levels of elasticity. They may also stretch out as they get used, and the cheaper ones will break. Look for weights on Craig's list or ask around if anyone has some extra dumbbells lying around that they aren't using. I hate resistance bands most of the time, but there are a few exercises where I find them to be most effective.
  • lisainpotown
    lisainpotown Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I think a gallon jug of water weighs 5 pounds or something like that...
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    www.nerdfitness.com has a lot of bodyweight exercises, from beginner on up.
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    You can lessen the slack with some exercises. Resistance bands come in varying levels of elasticity. They may also stretch out as they get used, and the cheaper ones will break. Look for weights on Craig's list or ask around if anyone has some extra dumbbells lying around that they aren't using. I hate resistance bands most of the time, but there are a few exercises where I find them to be most effective.

i like them mostly because 1, they force me to go slow and do it properly, 2, super easy to store away from the kids. weights charlie would be all up in and we'd end up in the er from him trying to pick one up and then dropping it on his toe because he doesnt understand he's only 2. LOLOLOL and 3, i only need the one thing. i dont have to stop and get a different weight for a different exercise, i can just keep at it and get 'er done.

how do i lessen the slack? when i do the tricep rows i stand on it with 2 feet, but only with one with the bicep curls. i figured maybe move my feet farther apart on the tricep rows?

is there a better exercise i could do for my arms? i cant do some of the shoulder work i have some kind of old injury in one shoulder that makes working my lats very painful. cant even lay on that side on my arm to snuggle with hubby.
  • LiveLoveLift67
    LiveLoveLift67 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    You could shorten them up ( lessening the slack) to make them not as stretchable. Also you could use the 5lb dumbells at the same time giving you more weight/resistance.

You can do many upper body exercises with the bands and you dont always have to be sore to get a good workout in. You can also do different variety of biceps and tricep moves to challenge the muscles.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Most major sporting goods stores have bands in a wide selection of resistance levels. I have some for travel that are in the 90-100 lb resistance range.