Protein Questions!

Options
Hey! So I've heard all the buzz about protein powders, and I'm looking into buying some, (I'm thinking about buying the whey powder that's sold at my gym).
But I need to know if its worth it. Do cooking with/mixing in protein actually aid in weightloss? There's a huge stigma that protein is for men that are looking to pack on some muscle, obviously I don't want to do that- even if I could.
I'm just looking to tone up and slim down!

SO, should I invest in a protein powder, and if so, is there a specific type that's best for girls, or even in weightloss?

Thanks!!

Replies

• SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Protein power is just that. It is protein in powder form. It comes in many varieties, such as whey, soy, egg, casein, and pea proteins. It is not magic. It will not "help you lose weight." What it will help you do is get sufficient protein when you couldn't possibly eat more, and you're trying to hit a certain protein target. That is why I tend to use it much more when I'm working to gain weight than when I'm working to lose weight. When I'm losing weight, I tend to eat more low fat meats such as chicken breast and lean pork, and pack away the egg whites because these fill me up much more than a protein shake.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Protein power is just that. It is protein in powder form. It comes in many varieties, such as whey, soy, egg, casein, and pea proteins. It is not magic. It will not "help you lose weight." What it will help you do is get sufficient protein when you couldn't possibly eat more, and you're trying to hit a certain protein target. That is why I tend to use it much more when I'm working to gain weight than when I'm working to lose weight. When I'm losing weight, I tend to eat more low fat meats such as chicken breast and lean pork, and pack away the egg whites because these fill me up much more than a protein shake.

^ Yup
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Yup. Protein powder doesn't make you lose weight. Protein helps retain muscle while in a deficit. You should aim for around 8-1g of protein per pound of lean body mass. If you can't reach that easily with food, then you can fill in the gap with protein powder.

Also, women and men can use the same protein powder. A whey isolate is generally the most protein for the least amount of calories. Whey is dairy though so I don't think it's great for someone who is lactose intolerant. I like Optimum Nutrition due to the variety of flavors available.
  • Spooky_Scully
    Spooky_Scully Posts: 73 Member
    Options

^I'm pretty much going to be repeating what he said….

I personally love protein powder, and have found that it has helped me with my weight loss/toning up. Not because it is some miracle product, but because it keeps me full and helps me reach my macros/calories. I'm a nurse who works crazy shifts, and protein powder has saved me on days when I don't have time to take a meal break or can't stomach a meal due to sleep deprivation, haha. I also love it post-workout for recovery!

You just have to remember, it does have calories - so if it puts you over your deficit its not really going to help. Also, it's a 'supplement' meaning it needs to *supplement* a balanced diet. So really, if used correctly it is a great product - but is kinda unnecessary if you can reach your macros/calories through a balanced diet, or don't do a lot of strength training.

As for choosing a type: I started off buying one in a pretty package because the big containers of protein powders looked really scary and meant for body builders, haha. Didn't take me long to realise it was the same product in a different package, so now I just buy Optimum Nutrition's Gold Standard Whey - the coconut chocolate is yummy!
  • archaichoney
    archaichoney Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Make sure you buy the one in the pink canister.
  • EpicMedic
    EpicMedic Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Technically, and this is JUST a technicality, but protein CAN help you lose weight. Before we go an grab the pitchforks and torches, know that I'm saying this because of how protein works, not that it will burn fat for you. Protein uses up to 25% of the calories consumed JUST to digest and process it. Compare this to 5% fats and 10% carbs.

In addition, protein doesn't cause a rapid blood sugar spike like carbs do. When you eat, your body secretes a hormone known as leptin. This hormone tells your body that "Hey, I'm good, no more food!" and you stop eating. Studies have shown that Insulin, which after a large sugar spike will be excreted in large amounts to process and use that sugar, can act to diminish the effect of Leptin, so a carb-heavy meal generally won't sate your hunger too well after you eat it. Protein will make you feel full faster, combined with some good fiber, and therefore it's easier to maintain that calorie deficit that WILL help you lose weight. Check out a protein/fiber meal replacement shake, not just a whey protein, if you want to use protein to aid in your weight loss.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to add protein to your meal? There is absolutely no need to add protein powder to anything.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to add protein to your meal? There is absolutely no need to add protein powder to anything.

My doctor has recommended a minimum of 100g of protein per day. I couldn't eat that much protein and stay within my calorie goals without protein powder. I find it to be a useful tool to help meet my macro goals.

My favorite way to eat it is to mix flavored protein powder with 1c non-fat plain greek yoghurt. 225 calories, 44g protein and I'm not hungry for hours.