Anyone try Weight Watchers, quit and come back to MFP?

Options
I was starving on Weight Watchers, so I'm back. It was also a pain in the rear to figure out point values on foods, and their food database stinks.

Glad to be back. :)

Replies

• ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I've never tried Weight Watchers but I know a few people who had some small success with it. I went to their website to get information and every link I could find that said "click to learn more" just took me to a sign up page. Not impressed. Thankfully I found this site which is free and gives me all the information I need to lose weight and eat healthy. Plus these forums are a valuable resource!
  • obipeep
    obipeep Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have tried Weight Watchers Online and it was great. When I followed the plan, I lost weight. However, I am "thrifty" and wanted to try something that would yield similar results without the cost. I joined MFP in Jan. and love it :-) The database is large and I have a great group of friends that are supportive. Also with MFP~you can't beat the price :-)
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I did WW back when it was regular points, and not the points plus. I LOVED IT. I only weighed 160 back then, but got down to 140 and looked great. Once it switched to PP, I hated it.

MFP rules! That's all I'm gonna say :O)
  • Cath_Taylor
    Cath_Taylor Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I had some success too with the old WW points system. But this time around I looked at the online & resources & they're charging £12 month (not sure what that is in $) which I kinda think is an extortionate amount. Most people want to lose weight because they're either unhappy with their health or the way they look ... so to charge such a cost for something so simple is IMHO wrong. I'm happier counting calories, eating healthy & exercising to stay fit.
  • kathinky
    kathinky Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am a Lifetime member of WW but this is far more convenient and easy...no figuring points and MFP still offers the support and encouragement of others in this journey. Ya gotta have friends!
  • LexiMelo
    LexiMelo Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I had success with weight watchers…that's how I originally lost 40 lbs. However it encouraged the wrong type of eating for me. I ended up losing hair since I wasn't eating a lot of fat, and ate a lot of processed foods/100 calorie packs since it was easy to calculate the point values. It's not a lifestyle change that I could keep up with. So I've gained and lost 10 lbs multiple times since then, until I've finally figured out maintenance through MFP.
  • ljoycew
    ljoycew Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Their database stinks, they're expensive. Happy to be back here. If you want to support MFP financially, click on their ads. That's how they get paid. That's what I do every time I visit. It costs me nothing, and supports a great FREE site.
  • shelbym87
    shelbym87 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I, myself, have never been on weigh watchers. Never been in a position where I could pay to lose weight. But my mother has been on weight watchers most of my life. So I get the points and all that. But what does WW have that MFP doesn't?
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Before I tried MFP, I lost a lot of weight on Weight Watchers. However, I didn't learn how to eat well and didn't treat it as a lifestyle change, so I gained it all back and more. Now I'm learning how to eat right and feeding my body well, so even though I'm losing slower, I'm keeping it off. :)
  • CherylOMY
    CherylOMY Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I did WW with the original point system, about 13 years ago, and lost 13lbs (I didn't need to lose a lot back then). I loved it. This past January I was at my wits end with my weight, so I was about to do WW again UNTIL I saw that they changed the point system. A glass of wine was a ridiculous amount. I know they're trying to force good habits, but that would just put me in a bad mood, and I wouldn't stick to it. I came upon this site by reading a message forum where people were comparing WW to MFP. I'm so glad I found this. It has been FAR easier following this and FREE too!!! I actually can't believe I'm losing!
  • Mistyvs
    Mistyvs Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 pounds on WW, hit lifetime and over four years most of it back. I got tired of the meetings and the points, and like you, the last time I tried it, I was starving all the time trying to train for a marathon without enough fuel. I ended up getting hurt and not getting to do the marathon. Now I'm back with mfp and I really like it. It's easy, has a huge database, and I feel like I can eat whatever I want. WW boasts that you can eat whatever you want, but sometimes they penalize you and make unhealthier options even higher in points!
  • ratchet2
    ratchet2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I am still doing weight watchers and recently came to MFP in order to make sure that I am eating the correct allotment of various nutrients. So far (about a week) they are complementing each other.
  • Michigander1956
    Michigander1956 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I did try WW and lost 45 pounds , so I agree it works. But it can get costly .I like this program very much. I tried this back in 2011 but had to many issues going on in my life so I came back in Jan 2014. Good luck to you.
  • janetlynn31
    janetlynn31 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I've done WW in the past but it always came down to a money issue. I did a 3-month online membership to try their latest version recently, but I hated their app - no multi-add and not near as good of a database. It would also not update automatically and would often quit unexpectedly on my phone. I also have a philosophical problem with fruit being "free" and people thinking that 0 points means no calories. MFP works better for me because I can watch my nutrition more closely.
  • Spooky_Scully
    Spooky_Scully Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I did WW for about 6 months, after returning from a good few months of travelling and indulging. I was living at home at the time, and my mother and I did it together. We both lost a good amount of weight - purely through diet and incidental exercise. However, once I moved out of home and was getting close to my goal weight and my goals changed to toning and fitness, I realised that it was time to start exercising and actually starting to look at my macros. So I cancelled my WW, put the money towards a gym membership, and joined MFP. Both are good systems, both have helped me greatly on this journey to being the happiest and healthiest (and hottest, lol) I have ever been, and both have their pros and cons :)
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I did weight watchers years ago and lost 40 pounds with their point system, however the program did not teach me anything about macronutrients, body composition, just taught me how to eat a certain amount of points, and lose overall scale weight... so II ditched it for self education