Advice About Spartan Races

Options
I signed up for my first Spartan Race for July. I have 19 weeks to train. Right now I only have running experience, but I need to do some strength. What are your recommendations? I have access to fitness clubs in my area, so if any classes could help let me know. I thought about doing Body Pump, Kickboxing, and I have access to the pool.

Also, just any other tips and things to let me know about what to expect at the Spartan Races would be beneficial. I'm used the just plain races, not obstacle courses :)

Thanks!

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'd incorportate strength training itself- your typical Starting strength/strong lifts/new rules of lifting- whatever with compound lifts- do that 2 times a week.

Then throw in 2 runs that are interval based- 1/4 mile- then do burpees + 1/4 mile then do frog jumps 1/4 mile then do pull ups (parks are great places to train)

then maybe one regular run.
  • LG_Adventure
    LG_Adventure Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Burpees, push ups, rows, and jogging. I'd recommend anything full body work out. Hard telling what you'll do, but if you can run, jump, squat and pull yourself up things like cargo nets, ropes, etc, you should be doing good.
  • lexmex88
    lexmex88 Posts: 4
    Options
    I am interested in doing a spartan race in August and from what I have heard you need to become very used to Burpees! Also spartan has WODs that you can get emailed every day. Good luck!
  • carolyn000000
    carolyn000000 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Find some walls to practice climbing over, at least 5 feet high or more. I did this because I had a sprained wrist and had to figure out how to get over the walls leaning on my forearm. It was a huge physiological confidence builder. If you can find some monkey bars practice them too. For workouts, try carpet pushes. Basically you just push a piece of carpet around a hard wood floor until you can't go any farther, then rest, then do it again. My trainer ( trains us specifically for Spartan Races) had us push carpet around a basketball court five times stopping at the corners to do five push-up. Bear crawls work too. These exercises gave me a huge advantage climbing up muddy walls and under barbwire. Also, you should be able to do 100 burpees with a push-up in one workout.

My team came in 17th place out of over 500 thanks to great training.
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I've done the Spartan and I would tell you to work on upper body strength, cardio and legs.

So pretty much everything.
    Don't panic though everyone goes through the race at their own pace.