How much should I eat to NOT gain weight?

Options
I haven't lost any weight for more than 2 months. The scale surely isnt helping as it fluctuates within 3lbs everytime I weigh. That's down AND UP.

The reason: I'm a college student living at home. I can keep my diet together in 3 days a week. I see it go down, because I'm on campus and barely want to spend anything so I bring apples and all sorts of fruits with me for those 3 days. The rest of the days I eat around 1500-2000 calories because my mom cooks like 5 different type of foods every meal, and I just always can't help myself but eat every type of food, thinking that as long as I eat only a little bit, its fine. But a little bit of everything ain't a bit anymore. So It makes it impossible to go on a diet. I've even thought of moving out because of this. Told my mom everytime not to cook SO MUCH, and she knows it gets wasted in the end but still cooks so much. I've tried many times to discipline myself, I just feel like its a lot easier if the food isn't available at all. I eat veggies, a LOT actually, but when that's not what's being offered, its hard.

Anyways, My weight goes up to 6 lbs when I do get into my craving days. then go back down a few lbs during those times that I do follow my diet. So I have NO IDEA what my actual weight is. I don't know when I am losing.

Replies

• serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    1. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

2. If you aren't already using one, get and use a food scale. Weigh all solids. Measuring cups/spoons are not accurate:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

3. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

ETA: I just took a quick look back through your diary to get an idea of what you mean on your days home vs at school. For you, it looks like you would do better aiming for a weekly total since you are a great deal under on some days and well over on others.
  • commtry
    commtry Posts: 20
    Options
    Thanks. not sure if weighing weekly will work. as you said its either its below or way over my caloric target. So its either too low or too high.

I have no problem weighing food, when I COOK IT. but when someone else cooks for you, its almost impossible to weigh and measure it. I simply can't stop on eating, especially when my mom spends time to cook it for us. I've tried to cook my own food, and my mom still keeps on cooking my part of the meal, and not just my part, but 5 times over. As if my binge eating isn't so much of a problem already.
  • getgemma
    getgemma Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hi Commtry,

I had a peek into your diary...

On the days that your mum cooks take matters into your own hands. Buy vegetables to steam and eat these with the main meal or snack on them throughout the day. This should easily help to half the calorie intake and not offend your mother.

Another of my tricks you could employ is have your main workout on high calorie days.
    I sometimes do this trick when eating meals my boyfriend cooks because he has a fast metabolism and can a lot of almost anything.

Simple but effective tips for me.
    Good luck.
  • getgemma
    getgemma Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Also...I suggest you get some freezer cartoons and pop left overs into the fridge or freezer. The benefits are you won't feel obliged to eat the food and after a a week or two your mum can take a day of cooking ;) I have in the past freezes meals and sides like:
    Veggies to add to stews
    Plain rice
    Pies - shepherds or steak and kidney
    Jacket potatoes.
    Just check on the net to see what to freeze and best way to defrost for cooking.