low Carb but not ketosis?

Options
Hello everyone. I was getting into ketosis diet and it was working really well. I like 4 pounds in the first week of actual good ketosis state. (which was the second week since the first week was sort of up and downish. I was really liking it. I found amazingly my ADD and or ADHD all but vanished and i could hyper focus on everything with out day dreaming.

Anyway I recently maintained ketosis for a whole 10 days and kept myself below the 5 block on the ketostixs but still positive. However my family began to complain about my odor, my throat has been dry as a bone (even though I have been drinking a ton of water). I recently got a new job and DON"T want people thinking I stink. so I have decided (unless someone has awesome advice for staying off the smell) to remove myself from this diet.

However i would like keep low carb, high fat, moderate protein but try and stay out of ketosisis this possible? or will i start gaining weight because i am not in ketosis state?

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Sure eat about 100 - 150g of carbs (veggies, moderate fruit).

Eating in a limited window (i.e 1pm - 8pm) you'll maximize the your fat burning efforts.

Once you've done it for a while you'll be able to dip in and out of a keto state as you want or need.
  • So sticking to 150 carbs a day will keep me from smelling weird? To myself I smell like sugarless maple syrup and pennies... I would like to avoid that.

can you explain this process?
    Eating in a limited window (i.e 1pm - 8pm) you'll maximize the your fat burning efforts.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    You'll still smell if you eat a lot of animal products. The only sustainable way to lose weight, and gain optimum health, is to eat a diet that is loaded with all the nutrition that is in fruits and vegetables. It's hard to get enough fruit and veg when you are constantly eating animal. You can still enjoy the wonders of ketosis occasionally with fasting.
  • LostButterfly
    LostButterfly Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you are drinking enough to flush your system out? I am on a ketosis diet, have been for several months and have lost around 150 pounds on it. I eat only 25 carbs a day, only certain fruits & veggies and lots of protein & meat, no breads, pasta, or dairy. However I drink at least 1 gallon of water a day to flush my system out. That is not including the other stuff I drink in a day, i.e. green tea, diet soda, crystal light lemonaide. (Before someone complains about my lack of carbs and all that, I am on a physician monitored program. It is done safely and weekly monitored. Even my regular physician who is not associated with the other physician has monitored me and ok'd it. )
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Ketosis makes you smell weird? I did not know that. Interesting. I wonder why?
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    You'll still smell if you eat a lot of animal products. The only sustainable way to lose weight, and gain optimum health, is to eat a diet that is loaded with all the nutrition that is in fruits and vegetables. It's hard to get enough fruit and veg when you are constantly eating animal :noway: . You can still enjoy the wonders of ketosis occasionally with fasting.

:noway:
  • rlengland2014
    rlengland2014 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am on a ketogenic diet, monitored by my bariatric physician, in case any haters want to jump on me for my choice of diets.
    Cardboardboxp, lots of people on this website are very anti-ketosis in my limited experience, so you'll get some negative responses just for saying the words.

When you're in ketosis, your body is creating acetone, and other "ketone bodies" which is the byproduct of burning fat. This does give an unusual odor, which is not pleasant. Sugar free gum works wonders, but I haven't noticed odor other than breath.

Some people advocate intermittent fasting (limiting your carb intake especially to certain hours) because then most of the day you're in ketosis and thus burning fat. I've heard it's not recommended for women, but I can't comment on that.

Ketosix only tell you that you're spilling those ketones. You don't have to try to make the stick really dark; any amount of pink means you're in ketosis . Some people need to strictly limit carbs to 20 per day for ketosis, like my husband. Myself, I stay in ketosis even at 100 carbs a day.

Good luck!
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am on a ketogenic diet, monitored by my bariatric physician, in case any haters want to jump on me for my choice of diets.
    Cardboardboxp, lots of people on this website are very anti-ketosis in my limited experience, so you'll get some negative responses just for saying the words.

When you're in ketosis, your body is creating acetone, and other "ketone bodies" which is the byproduct of burning fat. This does give an unusual odor, which is not pleasant. Sugar free gum works wonders, but I haven't noticed odor other than breath.

Some people advocate intermittent fasting (limiting your carb intake especially to certain hours) because then most of the day you're in ketosis and thus burning fat. I've heard it's not recommended for women, but I can't comment on that.

Ketosix only tell you that you're spilling those ketones. You don't have to try to make the stick really dark; any amount of pink means you're in ketosis . Some people need to strictly limit carbs to 20 per day for ketosis, like my husband. Myself, I stay in ketosis even at 100 carbs a day.

Good luck!
    I agree with a lot of this. I was an undiagnosed diabetic (type 1) for a while, and it was like an extreme Atkins/Ketosis diet. While my mom and I were talking while I was in the hospital for DKA (buildup of so many ketones from the diabetes that my blood became too acidic. It required IV insulin and a three-day stay in ICU), she commented that I was starting to have a very fruity and acetone-like smell on my breath.

I ended up listening to an online college lecture on DKA, and that acetone smell is one of the side effects of the ketone bodies.

As for going low carb without being in ketosis, I found that trying to stay around 100-150 carbs (30-60 carbs per meal) while eating high-fat and high-protein seemed to help keep my blood glucose stable without me developing ketones. Of course, I still have the occasional cheat day, though my BG always hates me afterwards. :laugh:
  • rlengland2014
    rlengland2014 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thanks for mentioning this. I didn't want to go into the difference between DKA and ketosis for a nondiabetic cause I felt too wordy already. ;)
  • huneydrop
    huneydrop Posts: 84
    Options
    I am quite deep into ketosis (blood ketones 3.8 on the meter) and I don't smell or have bad breath (trust me my friends and hubby would tell me!!). I do have dry mouth sometimes and the odd weird taste but that's it. I do drink lots of water though so maybe it is that. Try upping your water and see what happens. I also don't eat a lot of protein, under 20% of my food is protein.