spinach panacakes

Options
Claudia007
Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
Had a box of frozen spinach sitting in my freezer for some time, so I decided to find something different to do with it. Here's the original recipe. I altered mine, as many reviewers stated it lacked flavor. I served it with lite sour cream, as that's all I had on had, but you could use almost anything!

Ingredients
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 eggs
1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed and drained
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 teaspoon paprika
2 tablespoons olive oil
Directions
1.In a medium bowl, mix together flour and eggs. Stir in spinach, and season with salt and pepper to taste and paprika.
2.Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Drop spinach mixture into the oil by the spoonful, and flatten into patties. Cook until browned on both sides. Remove to paper towels to drain. Serve warm.

Makes 4 servings.
Amount Per Serving Calories: 145 | Total Fat: 9.8g | Cholesterol: 106mg

My recipe:
1 10z box of spinach
4 TBS whole-wheat flour
1/4 cup egg beaters
1/4 cup grated onion
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
2 TBS olive olil

This made 6 small panackes. Even my daughter loved them :)

Replies

• sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    i LOVE spinach..but im not sure if i will be trying this..thank you for posting anyway though! :)
  • HealthyishWithMaggieG
    Options
    I wouldn't have thought to use spinach. I do love zucchini pancakes (prepared basically the same way). I might give them a try sometime. Thanks!
  • Hotbottom
    Hotbottom Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting honey, these look yummy.... I think Ill try with buckwheat or chickpea flour: Im not good with wheat...
  • tiffylou80
    Options
    If you ever need another idea for spinach, I make spinach and eggs often. You just cook the spinach in a pan can use a little oil if you want to keep from sticking. Then add egg (I use egg whites) and scramble them with the spinach. I also add in cherry tomato, onion, garlic and skim mozzarella sometimes.
  • khollyk
    khollyk Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hmm.....very interesting! I think I may have to give these a whirl -- thanks for bringing this idea to my attention, never would have crossed my mind!
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I've tried something similar to this with Parmesan cheese and no flour. so yummy!!! I also throw spinach in my eggs a lot, or in my smoothies, soups, salads, pasta, rice. pretty much anything you get the idea ;)
  • melusinagr
    melusinagr Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Yum! I bet they would be good with some Greek yogurt. Wish I could find egg beaters here.