Transitioning to Vegetarian

Options
Hi everyone,
I have decided for my health and wellness, that it would be beneficial to eat vegetarian. I naturally didn't like meat as a child, and then as I grew up in a meat and potatoes type of household I grew to eat it. I am looking at my diary and know that I need to eat more fruits, vegetables and whole grains and also that beef, etc. has a lot of cholesterol and takes longer for the body to digest. So I was wondering if anyone else has chosen to go from being a meat eater to a vegetarian and if they have any tips as well as some good resources to turn to.
Thank you,
Britt

Replies

• gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    I think changing a life long eating style takes a tremendous amount of dedication. Good luck!.

There are tons of groups that support this eating style. Go to the group tab and then search for vegetarian groups. Find one that fits your needs as a beginning vegetarian.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegan and have been a vegan( but before a veggie) for a long long time. Honestly all I did was one day stop eating meat In can't actually remember much transition (though it was 30 years ago) I just did it the same way when I became a Vegan. You're lucky that there are so many good vegetarian resource s now. If you have an ingredient just Google and you'll find numerous recipes. What I will caution you about is going vegetarian or vegan is not some instant way to a healthy diet. You can have unhealthy meat free diets as well as healthy ones containing meat. I know some vegetarians who I would consider to have terrible diets consisting of French fries and chocolate. Try not to do the mistake that some new vegetarians seem to do and replace all their meat with dairy. Good luck and feel free to add me as a friend if you wish
  • meca85
    meca85 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    A few years ago i read a book titled Skinny *****, i thought it was a self help book on eating well and getting skinny.... I didnt realize that yes they advocated healthy eating through first a vegeterian lifestyle and by the end of the book they encourage you to become vegan.
    I enjoyed the book, it was very crude and shocking and really makes your stomach turn in some places referring to meat as eating dead carcasses LoL Eww.
    I too grew up in a carnivore household, so i figured i would challenge myself for one entire month. After having read the book i learned a few things about staying away from meat and animal products.
    It was my first test of discipline and i not only succeeded but was able to do it for about 2 months. Then the.holidays came up and i had to give in LoL

But Skinny ***** is a tough crude raw book but a quick read and.guide towards vegetarian and vegan.

Good luck.
    Btw before my challenge i had to do a blood test for somethibg i was going through, and about 3 months later i had.another blood test, my cholesterol had gone down 40pts and so did my LDL.

ETA- whoops didnt realize the title would be censored, anyways the author is Rory Freedman =) its available for download on Amazon
  • stef_monster
    stef_monster Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for about 5 years. I stopped eating meat thinking it would help me lose weight (I didn't know any fat vegetarians at the time). I slowly weaned myself off of red meat first, which wasn't too hard because beef and pork wreak havoc on my digestive system. Then I started to cut out chicken, which was very difficult because IT'S EVERYWHERE. Luckily I've always made most of my meals at home, so the only time it was a real challenge was when I went out to eat. I gave up seafood last, and that was hard because I love it. I still have a bite or two every now and then when my husband's eating it and I'm in the mood.

Somewhere in your journey you may find that you're happier being a pescatarian (vegetarian except for seafood) or an ovo-lacto vegetarian (like me- I eat cheese, yogurt, and eggs, but can't do milk and ice cream because of lactose issues), and that's fine. As you decrease your meat intake, increase your veggie intake and add in proteins like lentils, tofu, nuts, soy, rice, and beans. The nutrients and vitamins you'll get from a richer, more varied diet will keep you feeling awesome and energetic and make it easier to exercise. Be careful not to get into the 'french fry/ cheese pizza vegetarian' mindset. When you remove a group of foods from your diet, make sure you add something healthy to replace them.

One last tip: you're going to need to grow some thick skin and practice saying, "There's protein in everything, even vegetables" in front of a mirror. If I had a dollar for every time someone asked me where I got my protein, I could buy every single one of them a semester of nutrition classes. That being said, you DO have to watch your macros more closely and you may indeed need to supplement your protein with a shake every now and then. My diet was kind of my hobby for a while until I got the hang of it. People will always question you when you make a big change in your life, so prepare yourself mentally to talk about it til you're blue in the face.

Best of luck!
  • IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    IIIIISerenityNowIIIII Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I grew up eating meat as my family did, but age 12 I decided I couldn't eat it anymore and went vegetarian. It was very easy for me but I am repulsed by meat so if you like it, it may be harder to transition. I eat a lot of fake meats and protein bars.
  • BrittNelson86
    BrittNelson86 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all of the feedback, thank you so much to everyone. Tonight I decided I would make some pea and carrot soup. I think if I plan ahead, then it should be pretty easy foodwise because I will have the ingredients on hand. I hate even touching raw meat. It seems more simple to make meatless meals, but we will see.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't suggest going vegetarian solely for health since it's extremely easy to be vegetarian and unhealthy and gain weight. Of vegetarian meant healthy we wouldn't have any on mfp.
  • BrittNelson86
    Options
    If you look at nitrates in meat and cholesterol, etc. it makes sense to me to eat none of it and more fruits, veggies, beans, whole grains, etc. I will still eat eggs, cheese and milk but only in small quantities. My family has a strong history of heart disease and cancer and if I can make an attempt at preventing these things then I will do what I have to. I am a nurse and have seen many people going through cancer and have heart attacks, strokes, etc. I don't want to go down that route. I am also excercising, doing HIIT training and cycling. So yes, there are some vegetarians who make poor food choices and are heavier, or unhealthy, but I have faith in myself that I am doing this for the right reasons.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Read any of the following books:

"The China Study" - T. Colin Campbell

"The Pleasure Trap" - Dr. Alan Goldhamer and Dr. Doug Lisle

"The Starch Solution" Dr. John McDougall

"Eat to Live" Dr. Joel Fuhrman

"Breaking the Food Seduction" - Dr. Neal Barnard

And/or watch any of their lectures that are online. They all have some very informative lectures free on youtube.
  • jessad215
    jessad215 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My mom was a vegetarian growing up and my dad ate meat--I think there are a lot of benefits to even just minimizing the amount of meat we consume. You ask about making the transition, and I encourage you to be gentle with yourself at first. Maybe try doing just two or three days a week entirely meatless? Big changes like that can be really challenging, and with a few days a week meatless, you can begin to learn how to cook nutritious, filling vegetarian meals without changing your entire eating style at once.
    Things like tofu often take a few tries to get used to the texture of, or a few different recipes to find one that cooks it the way you like it. Google around and try a wide variety of vegetables, beans, soy proteins, etc. I also encourage you to think about different kinds of seasonings. There is a lot of interesting vegetarian food that draws from world cuisines--Asian inspired stir-fries, Indian-style curries, Mexican bean dishes. I love the Moosewood Cookbook for really interesting vegetarian cooking based on whole foods. It's older now, but still one of the classics of vegetarian cooking.
    It isn't difficult to work in a few vegetarian meals a week, and can really challenge you to develop a wider variety of cooking skills! Basically, you can't just cut meat. You have to figure out what you're going to cook instead. Use it as a chance to try new things! Good luck!
  • oc1timoco
    oc1timoco Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Look in your diary and if only 50% of your protein is from meat then the transition should not be to difficult. There are a lot of good food sources out there that have a good protein to carbohydrate ratio to them. Brown long grain rice and edamame are just two for example.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    If you look at nitrates in meat and cholesterol, etc. it makes sense to me to eat none of it and more fruits, veggies, beans, whole grains, etc. I will still eat eggs, cheese and milk but only in small quantities. My family has a strong history of heart disease and cancer and if I can make an attempt at preventing these things then I will do what I have to. I am a nurse and have seen many people going through cancer and have heart attacks, strokes, etc. I don't want to go down that route. I am also excercising, doing HIIT training and cycling. So yes, there are some vegetarians who make poor food choices and are heavier, or unhealthy, but I have faith in myself that I am doing this for the right reasons.

From the looks of your diary your diet looks pretty meat heavy. Good luck.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I am not a vegetarian but I have friends who are.

Just make sure you are getting in all your fats etc.

There are people who have caused issues for their unborn children because they didn't get in enough fat (child couldn't metabolize fat after birth). Along with other vitamins etc that come from meat need to be included as well from other sources.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Honestly, a vegetarian diet is no healthier than a meat-eating one.

From a health perspective, as long as you get a good balance of food sources, meat is fine.

However, if you still wish to become a vegetarian, you need to be very cognizant of what is in things as meat and fish based products are in a lot of foods you would not expect.

Make sure you get plenty of protein. Dairy, seitan, soy and nutritional yeast are complete proteins. Most vegetarian food sources are not - which is not an issue as long as you get protein from a variety of sources.

You also need to be careful to get enough B12 (it is usually included in tofu and nutritional yeast) as well as iron. Non heme iron needs Vitamin C to help the absorption, unlike heme (meat) iron.
  • BrittNelson86
    Options
    Thank you for the advice.