After a work out...

Options
once you tpe it in and it says you have so many more calories do u need 2 eat them or is it okay not 2?

Replies

• shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    it's ok not to
  • mcrawley22
    Options
    it is ok not to. it's good to eat your whole regular daily calorie count on days that you are working out though. if you don't eat your workout cals it makes weight loss quicker...the more you burn, the more you lose! :happy:
  • james3302
    Options
    In my opinion you do not want to be 400 calories from your goal every day. But you do not have to eat the calories you get from exercising. If you start feeling tired after a few days of not eating your workout calories then I suggest you start doing it.
  • rdennis1990
    rdennis1990 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It's really ok to skip the calories you gain back for working out. It will help with the weight loss, just make sure your not losing too many calories. Using too many calories and not replacing them can actually hurt your weight loss journey.
  • cassfeickert
    Options
    Thanks yall i just was wondering cuz i already get 300 extra a day cuz im a breastfeeding mom so its not like i dont eat enough already lol i already feel like im eating all day how it is now lol
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

this question gets asked a lot so perhaps there should be some kind of FAQ on this site.

Your Daily Calories are a rough estimate based on your Basic Metabolic Rate and Activity level....that is...the number of calories you need in general per day for bodily health and wellness.

When you burn calories through exercise or extra activities of any kind, these are added to your daily total, meaning you would need to intake those extra calories in order to maintain the balance.

Eg. If you need 1500 calories a day and do 250 calories of exercise, your daily total would be 1750 for that day.

That being said, for general weight loss, it is recommended to shoot for a 500calorie deficit from your daily needs (Based on 3500 calories in a lb of fat and 7 days in a week (7 x 500 = 3500).

With that in mind, if that same person with the 1500 calorie diet ate only 1250 calories, plus did a 250 calorie workout...the total for that day would be 1000...or 500 less than the daily recommendation.

Remember that each person is different and what works for one person doesn' necessarily work for everyone. It all depends on what your goals are and what you're looking to accomplish.

All the best!
  • angebean
    angebean Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    There are a bunch of old postings about this topic and they go into deep detail as to why you SHOULD eat your exercise calories.
    MFP is already calculating the deficit on a daily basis. If you don't eat your exercise cals back, then you go under that daily calorie goal that your body needs to function and risk putting your body into starvation mode.

For me, my body freaked out when I didn't eat them back and I actually gained a few pounds. When I started eating at least 1/2 of my exercise cals, I started to see the weight loss again.

Like the person said earlier, see how you feel and go from there. Make sure you're drinking plenty of water.

Good luck!
  • angebean
    angebean Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Here you go...
    Here's the link about eating your exercise calories...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo