Jogging in place anyone with experience?

Options
Last year I broke my ankle and need to have surgery to have 10 screws put in. I went through PT for over about 8 months and was unable to regain my range of motion, it was cut in half. I had the hardware removed in January and I am finally able to move my ankle better and have about 95% of my range of motion back.

I am easing back into exercise and want to start with jogging in place, we are still in winter and the roads are icy. Has anyone done this and had any luck toning or losing weight?

Thank you.

Replies

• jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I run in place for 3 to 5 minutes as part of my warm-up, but I would never want to have to do it for an extended period as my only exercise.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I've done it. It's so boring, but it's something. You can put on a mindless tv show and squat during the commercials for a change of pace, so to speak.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I've done 40 minutes. once. it IS very boring. music helps. I do butt kicks, high knees, napolean dynomites and jump ropes.
  • Adyanna79
    Adyanna79 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I do this with my EA active routine.

EA active also change things up a bit during the jogging in place by introducing heels-to-Butt and some high knee jogging.

I get tired faster with the heels-to-butt...

I recently bough a mini trampoline and it reduces the impact on my knees.
  • redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I don't mind it, though I usually only do it for at the most 30 minutes at a time. I use it mainly to meet my step goals when it's raining - otherwise I definitely prefer being outside. But I do work up a sweat, and there's the bonus that I don't have to see anyone except my boyfriend, who thinks I'm kind of crazy anyway. :happy:
  • HerbieB23
    HerbieB23 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I jog on a mini trampoline that I bought at Walmart...cost between $36-$40....very low impact...I do 30 minutes three times a day...I started out slow 5 minutes at a time...I tried jogging in place without it...and it felt really weird and not as much fun....good luck...
  • LaserOctopus
    LaserOctopus Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I do it. Too hot to go outside, or too wet, or too late/early (that mugging time of day, lol). I have pretty much the same things to say: It's not ideal, but it's something. I will do half an hour to 45 minutes. TV helps, or music (with or without headphones). You will get more out of it if you lift your knees higher than you would with a normal run.
  • christyallgood
    christyallgood Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have used Leslie Sansone DVDs when it is too crappy outside. She has all kinds of them out! They are walking in place to a pace that has u moving up to five miles in front of your tv. She adds in different moves like side to side and front to back with some fun music!! It is more walking but as I got more comfortable I was pretty much running in place. It works and its better than nothing! I hope this helps!
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Running in place, Burmese, then mountain climbers, then back to running in place, then jumping jacks, then push ups, then crunches, then squats, then .........
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Supposed to read, burpees.
  • Slim_strategy
    Options
    I used to do it for about 15 minutes sometimes when I couldn't go outside XD seemed to make me sweat so it should be ok