Can't jog due to shin splints - help please!

Options
124»

Replies

• pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    The pain comes back later? Really? Well a year and a half later...still running & still no pain coming back. Strange that considering I ran mine out.

In that case you didn't have shinsplints.

According to the physio I was seeing it was. Sorry but I don't just assume that it's what it was. Did you think that perhaps my form got better? Or that perhaps I'm just fortunate enough to be running how I should run for me?

I did have shin splints & unless you are medically trained to know what was going on at the time, then you should....shhhhhhhhhhhh
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    The pain comes back later? Really? Well a year and a half later...still running & still no pain coming back. Strange that considering I ran mine out.

According to the physio I was seeing it was. Sorry but I don't just assume that it's what it was.

fwiw I also had a physio tell me I had shinsplints, and I followed the advice accordingly

The orthopaedic surgeon that had to undo the damage that the physio had done explained the difference to me. I'm likely to need further knee and ankle reconstruction in the future.

One of the reasons that I get a little agitated when people suggest running through any lower leg injury.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options

According to the physio I was seeing it was. Sorry but I don't just assume that it's what it was.

fwiw I also had a physio tell me I had shinsplints, and I followed the advice accordingly

The orthopaedic surgeon that had to undo the damage that the physio had done explained the difference to me. I'm likely to need further knee and ankle reconstruction in the future.

One of the reasons that I get a little agitated when people suggest running through any lower leg injury.

And that's a fair response - most of us have only got our own experience on which to base our opinions. In my experience (anecdotal, not medical) most people who start a running plan get sore shins - for the reasons mentioned above. If you look up sore shins from running on the internet - what's the most dramatic thing that comes up? Or ask a friend - they'll say "it sounds like shin splints,....." and voila - we have an excuse to stop exercising. I can't do that, I have a medical condition.

Every time I'm at a social event with new acquaintances, if the topic of exercise comes up, someones gonna say "I can't run, I have shin splints."

There isn't an epidemic of shin splints rampaging through the running community - so let's go with Occam's Razor - the simplest solution, is probably the correct one.

cheers
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Try getting some Kinesio tape, and looking up the proper way to wrap for shins. This saved my butt a few times.
  • jkolbe94
    jkolbe94 Posts: 23
    Options
    I HATE ELLIPTICALS. So if you're like me, you do too. Like everyone else is saying, gradually increase your running time and give yourself a set time for walking. C25K does that, but I personally couldn't keep up with it. I've never been a runner or athletic or anything, so I have basically just set my own pace.
  • applepear349
    Options
    I have shin splints at the current moment as well. The best things that I have found are to stretch your calf muscle and achilles tendon to make them less tight. Also, paying attention to how you run (land toe-ball-heel rather than flat footed) will help alleviate the stress in that area. A good massage with a tennis ball or roller always helps me (take a tennis ball/roller and roll it along the area that hurts as well as your calf muscle. Icing never hurts, and if your problems continue to worsen, rest it or talk to your doctor. There are also braces that you can use to support it. Hope this helped!

P.S. Running isn't the only form of exercise you can use to lose weight. You can swim (which is better on your joints), walk, do yoga, play ball sports, or even just do jumping jacks :)
  • timetravelforfitness
    timetravelforfitness Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, I didn't read all the replies, but when you changed your trainers did you get fitted in a store that only sells running shoes? I made the mistake of thinking for YEARS that I was the problem, then got fitted at a local running store. My splints were gone within a week. I had been going to sporting goods stores before then.

Otherwise, when I was training with Team in Training, the coaches always told everyone that as long as you went slowly adding mileage, and took days off, your muscles in your legs would eventually get used to the exercise.