How to reduce the size of my stomach area?

Options
I am at a healthy weight for my height (126 lbs 5'6) but for some reason my stomach is extremely disproportionate to the rest of my body. Much more than I have ever seen of someone at a similar weight to me. I'm not sure why this is? It could be because I gain weight most around this area, but it's really bad. I'm going on holiday at the end of June and have joined MFP to try and lose some weight in order for my belly to be flatter. I know it is not possible to spot reduce but I don't know what to do. I would show a photograph but it would be better to show it in the morning as I am probably bloated at the moment. This is my current weekly workout routine, do you think this is good in order to lose the weight?

Monday: Cardio (Youtube videos)
Tuesday: 30 mins walking 3.5mph + swimming (breaststroke) 60 mins
Wednesday: HIIT (Youtube videos)
Thursday: 30 mins walking 3.5mph + swimming (breaststroke) 60 mins
Friday: 30 mins walking 3.5mph + swimming (breaststroke) 60 mins
Saturday: Rest / walking (shopping etc)
Sunday: Cardio (Youtube videos) / 60 mins cycling

Replies

• knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    you do lots of great cardio - try some strength training
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    you do lots of great cardio - try some strength training

I agree wholeheartedly.
  • kaydoh2014
    kaydoh2014 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    5'-6", 126 lbs and trying to lose weight?? I'd put a halt to that - that's very thin. But if you're concerned about your middle there's always ab exercises. Runtastic has a couple apps that you can link right to MFP, and I'm sure there's a bajillion ab videos on youtube.
  • erid1234
    erid1234 Posts: 3
    Options
    Actually that's not very thin, that is a healthy weight for my height.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    5'-6", 126 lbs and trying to lose weight?? I'd put a halt to that - that's very thin. But if you're concerned about your middle there's always ab exercises. Runtastic has a couple apps that you can link right to MFP, and I'm sure there's a bajillion ab videos on youtube.

Ab exercises won't do a thing for extra weight around your stomach - that's called spot reduction and it doesn't exist. Where you store fat is largely genetic and belly fat (along with fat in the rest of your body) will come off gradually, some areas sooner than others, with time and a calorie deficit. All targeted exercises (such as for your abs) will do is work the muscles in that area, making them stronger, and/or bigger (size coming through enough of a calorie intake)

To the OP, I would try and add some strength training to your routine. It will help your overall body composition (fat vs muscle) and general appearance, which I'm going to assume is more important to you than scale weight. It can also help to make other areas not look too thin when you do lose weight. I know when I lose weight sometimes I'd wish it'd all come off my stomach, and other areas can end up looking a little small in the process. Muscle in those areas can help counteract that look so it looks more in proportion.

You may find that tape measures and progress pictures become really useful to you at this time. It's easy to get hung up on weight, but while I realise you're a healthy BMI, I imagine you're quite lean at the weight you are at. When you don't have much to lose, sometimes the greatest progress is captured through other measures such as inch loss or definition, especially where strength training is concerned.
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Strength + more protein (1 gram per lbs of LEAN body mass)
  • jardimgirl
    jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem but currently took up strength taining and doing a program called stronglifts, you should look into it
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Pilates for muscle control and toning. Works for me.
  • VICTORAPAZA
    Options
    I found this friend to lose 3 kilos in a week here I leave the link
    http://tinyurl.com/kyrlp68
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Yes I wish you would have posted a photo! But I say just keep doing what you are doing it sounds like you are doing a great job. Also I have lots of excess skin in my midsection and I sometimes wear tummy control products to make myself look better if wearing something form-fitting, I am not sure if this would help you or not. But again don't really sweat it too much I am sure you are beautiful even with what you think is a belly. Best of luck to you!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. If you want to lose fat it is a matter of eating at a calorie deficit. If you're already at a "healthy" weight then the chances are that you have lost a bit of muscle mass. The solution to that is strength training and adequate protein intake. You may want to try a 5x5 lifting program, combined with eating 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass (maybe punt and eat 0.8 grams per pound of bodyweight), and eating at maintenance or a very slight deficit for a few months and see what happens.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Lift Heavy with Squats and Deadlifts. Eat lots of meats and veggies. Have some fruits and nuts. Limit sugar, wheat, and dairy.

You'll be well on your way.