When discouraging words set you back...

Options
I told my boss that I lost 10lbs and a coworker over hearing it said "we'll see how long that lasts"

What would you do in a situation like that?

It discourages me instead of encouraging me to prove her wrong. Why the hell is that?

Replies

• allotmentgardener
    allotmentgardener Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Tell your co-worker that it wont last for long - next time you mention it you'll have lost even more!

People often come out with stupid comments either out of deliberate spite or thoughtlessness. They may even have weight issues themselves and are a bit intimidated by your achievement. Ignore them and keep up the good work :)
  • JoanneC1216
    JoanneC1216 Posts: 166
    Options
    Tell your co-worker that it wont last for long - next time you mention it you'll have lost even more!

People often come out with stupid comments either out of deliberate spite or thoughtlessness. They may even have weight issues themselves and are a bit intimidated by your achievement. Ignore them and keep up the good work :)

Thank you :smile:

I have always been a person of encouragement and positive ways. I find it really hard to deal with negative people.
  • toronto_j
    toronto_j Posts: 206 Member
    Options

Haha, I like this. Sorry to hear about this bitterness and jealousy, what a stupid thing for your co-worker to say. Just keep on keeping on!
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss! You should be proud!

If a coworker's bitter, jealous and frankly snarky comment discourages you then you have a bigger problem than just a resentful, spiteful coworker.

Life is full of vitriolic people. Think of this person as a learning exercise. With every snarky comment, you learn that this person's opinion doesn't matter. Rise above it, keep doing what you're doing. The only person's behavior you can change is
    eomj1MPs.jpg
  • ComradeTovarich
    ComradeTovarich Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    No words can discourage me. If someone says something about me that's disparaging, I take what they said and burn it on that fire inside of me. If someone doesn't believe you can do something, then do it. Success is the best revenge.
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Just ignore people. Often jealousy and their own lack of happiness are the catalyst for these people being mean and petty. I realize it is easy to say 'ignore' them. I work with a lady who is spiteful and incredibly mean. It is difficult to even breathe the same air. Her unhappiness with herself resonates toward us all and can be like an infectious disease. Good luck!
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I have had some discouraging, bordering on nasty things said over this period, some hurt and while I didn't have any other option than to continue forward some of the comments where just fuel that helped push me further, and harder!

As far as a response, smile and say thank you very much! It will throw the person off while letting you walk away on higher ground.
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I agree with the IGNORING advice. Nothing you would say would make a difference.
  • SillaWinchester
    SillaWinchester Posts: 363 Member
    Options

I have always been a person of encouragement and positive ways. I find it really hard to deal with negative people.

I know how that feels. You are doing an amazing job and no one can take that away from you! Sometimes you just have to turn your back to those people because you're doing this for you and not for the sake of others. Keep going strong and watch them eat their words! :)
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    When you change for the better, it makes other people look at their decisions. Your coworker's ego defense mechanism just went off, and she made that comment.

I am sure she's currently not happy with herself, because no happy person could put down another person like she did to you. It's just not in a thought pattern of someone with decent self esteem.

If something like that happens again, confidently look her straight in the eyes and genuinely say, "I hope your day gets better." Maybe while smirking a little. )

LeadingMuscle
  • tjenkies
    tjenkies Posts: 4
    Options
    That's a bummer that they can't keep it positive! I hate when that happens, but what matters most is that you continue on your journey! You are doing a great job! Losing weight is no easy task, so keep it up and don't let that one person ruin the great progress that you've made!
  • JoanneC1216
    JoanneC1216 Posts: 166
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your wonderful responses.

I just wish it didn't make me feel bad because I have lost and gained (the same 10 lbs) so many times....probably why she said that.
  • lynneelala
    lynneelala Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just for a slightly different perspective...

I wonder if your coworker was actually commenting about her/himself. Often people say things that apply to their own circumstances. In that way, you can try to feel a sense of pity for the person, or even empathize with the fact that they are perhaps struggling. Pitying someone is not actually a nice thing, but if that's what is deserved, then I think it can be useful.
  • fittlefattle
    Options
    Is your coworker a d@mn fortune teller? Do you work with Miss Cleo? Who is this person to say what you will and won't do, and furthermore, who cares? Don't let it set you back, 10 pounds is a nice accomplishment. Keep up the positive things you've got going and maybe she'll drop the psychic unsolicited advice hotline thing.
  • Cakewalk25
    Cakewalk25 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    People who are unhappy and insecure in their own lives feel the need to criticize others choices. When I first started, one of my friends (who weighs way more than I do) first tried to give me a bunch of unsolicited advice, then sarcastically said "Well good LUCK staying on that. I predict you last a couple of weeks, binge and gain it all back and more". People don't like to see other people trying to improve their own life because it makes them question their lifestyle.
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Chage your mindset. Love yourself enough to prove them wrong. Get spiteful if that motivates you. Don't have a "roll over and die" mentality because this person said a hurtful comment. Let that comment light a fire for you. Let it inspire you to use your positive energy to carry you through your journey.
  • MichelleB69
    MichelleB69 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    It will last longer than her manners! LOL Just remember, what comes out of other people's mouths has so much more to do with them than it does with you...you were just the target within firing range.