Goal weight achieved... Now what?

Options
I want to increase my calories to maintain, but I was wondering if there is a rate I should be doing it at. For example, should I increase by 100 daily calories for a week, then another bump?

How did you go about it?

My current calorie deficit is set at 750. I know I kept a pretty large deficit, and I don't want to just cram another 750 calories/day down my gullet (well, I WANT to, but you know what I mean).

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Given the large deficit, I would up by 200 a week. Enjoy the extra food!
  • professormudd1
    Options
    Thanks.. And trust me, I plan on it.
  • hellsbells3272
    hellsbells3272 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    If you input your current weight, MFP should set you a calorie goal for maintenance.

Sorry, didn't read the post correctly. Yeah up your intake a bit at a time, eat more smaller meals rather than stuffing your face with big meals.
  • nurselucyp83
    Options
    Given the large deficit, I would up by 200 a week. Enjoy the extra food!

This! :-)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I want to increase my calories to maintain, but I was wondering if there is a rate I should be doing it at. For example, should I increase by 100 daily calories for a week, then another bump?

How did you go about it?

My current calorie deficit is set at 750. I know I kept a pretty large deficit, and I don't want to just cram another 750 calories/day down my gullet (well, I WANT to, but you know what I mean).
    That's why it's best to have those last ten or more pounds set to come off at a half pound a week. Increasing by 750 is a big leap. I would say to set your weight loss goals to maintain and then work your way up to the calorie goal by about 100-200 calories each day (or every few days or every week or whatever works for you) until you are finally eating at maintenance.
  • skinnybythanksgiving
    skinnybythanksgiving Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I suggest 100 a week while maintaining your exercise routine. I started adding in calories a month before I reached my goal weight. My maintenance calories are about 200-400 calories over what I ate to lose weight, so it didn't take long at all to get to total maintenance calories. Some weeks I gain on the same calories I lose on during another week, so just following an exact count week after week doesn't work for me. Congratulations on your weight loss, it's a wonderful success, as is quitting drinking and smoking!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I was at a 500 calorie deficit, upped by 250 after being stable at that weight for a while, and just stayed there. But I always eat my exercise calories back.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Curious - you had the deficit set to 750.

What was your actual weight loss amount weekly the last few weeks?

Ditto to advice to increase slowly, since I think you'll probably be in for a surprise.

Oh, you will gain water weight, same water weight you lost at the start.
    Glycogen stores with water.
    Good needed water weight - don't try to lose it again.