100 lbs to lose and time is not on my side.

Options
I'm 5ft 5in as of the last time a doctor made me press my heels against a wall. When I started this journey I weighed more than I ever had before, a whopping 250lbs. I'd been on MFP for a while, but I just started focusing on my life since the end of february. I feel like I am making real, sustainable changes. I finally quit my long standing Mountain Dew habit (at my worst I was drinking 2liter+ a day) and replaced it with so much water intake I feel like my eye balls are buoys. I'm progressively changing my diet, and I'm doing it for all sorts of good reasons. I've got a 4 year who I want to be able to run with when he starts soccer next year, My SO and I are thinking of maybe trying to conceive another child starting at the beginning of next year. And I'm becoming suspicious that my SO may also propose to me soon.
I decided if I was going to have another child I needed to be healthier before I conceive. I aimed my sites at 150lbs. And if he does propose, I'd like to be foxy in a wedding dress.
And I can calorie count, I'm being much more careful about monitoring my food intake. On the other hand, I work 45+ hours a week and have a toddler, so I'm finding it difficult to find time to actually exercise. And I feel that the exercise may be the difference between success or failure for me. How does everyone find these hours that they spend at the gym?
150lbs is about 15-20lbs lower than I've been in all of my adulthood. And I'm trying to accouplish it in 12 months. I want it so bad my teeth hurt, but I'm afraid maybe I'm setting a goal I'm destined to fail at. It's actually been super helpful to see the success stories on this site. It gives me hope to see women who were once my weight now sitting at my goal weight.
I'm not sure what I'm actually looking for out of this post. I just needed to say it.

Replies

• nomoreyoyo67
    Options
    I too am trying to lose 50lbs. by the end of the year. I have a job that I used to work 6;30 to 5 and I found it difficult to find time to exercise ( although I think I would have found any excuse not to). However, I did get up at 4;30 and was so tired by the time I got home I just talked myself out of it. Now I work 5 days a week and get off at 3 so I do try and exercise everyday. Point being that I guess you will find the time if you really want to do it. By the way, I also want to be around 150 when I am done. Feel free to add me and we can support each other!
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I've found Zumba 2 for the Wii is alot of fun. I bought the Wii specifically for this reason (although hubby keeps tieing it up with his war games!). I've found it doesn't really feel like working out and my heart rate monitor indicates I'm burning alot of calories from it even though I'm still in the tutorial mode. I'm clumsy and awkward as hell doing it and still trying to learn the moves but I could imagine a little kid trying to dance along for fun if you're doing your workout. Just a thought.
  • saynay18
    saynay18 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I also would like to lose 100 pounds this year. I started at 276 in january (i'm 5'7") and have lost about 22 so far. I'm feeling great, people are starting to notice my weight loss and it's motivating me! I have two small children (3.5 yrs and 15 months) and my hubby and I both work full time. I've tried to lose weight SO many times in the past, but I think what is really helping this time (besides my undying determination), is my husband's support. He's understanding about my changes in the way I prepare meals (usually fast and low cal for me and sometimes- he's just on his own), and he'll watch the kids in the evenings a couple nights a week while I go to Zumba. The housework has been piling up, no doubt. But, I don't care. lol I will gladly have a messy house so that I can get my workout in and continue having success at being healthy and losing weight. (Lately, we've been considering a splurge, a cleaning lady! Just a couple of hours, every other week will probably run us around $100/month. Just enuf to get the bathrooms and kitchen floors clean hopefully!) I've been exercising 5 or 6 times per week. I also think this is what's helped me to find success so far this time around. Between Zumba, T25 videos, the elliptical in my basement and pushing the double stroller through the neighborhood....I will spend at least an hour a day on myself for a workout. You are worth it! Your son will love going for walks in his wagon, or the stroller.

I may not lose 100 pounds like I want to. But, I've already lost 22, and that is 22 more than I would have lost if I didn't try. So, give it all you have. You can do it! If you mess up at one meal, just let it go and make sure your next meal is healthy. Exercise as much as you can. Zumba is fun and I burn 450-600 calories per class! Also, follow @livylovestorun on Instagram for some awesome inspiration!

Good luck to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Few people spend hours at the gym. Most get in a walk here, a body weight session there, a workout video sometime else. If you want it, you will make the time for it to happen ... early morning, during lunch, evening, just after the kid goes to bed, etc.

100 lbs in a year is an aggressive goal. Possible, but, aggressive. Be honest with yourself and assess if averaging nearly two pounds a week is the right glidepath for your weight loss.
  • DominicanBride621
    Options
    You can definitely do it! If you want to lose 150 pounds in 52 weeks -- that's a little over 2 pounds a week! Easy. Focus on eating clean foods and stay away from anything processed. Push the raw fruits and veggies. This will be good for the entire family!
    Also, most of Jillian Michael's DVDs are only 30 min (ONLY 2% of your day!!!). I am currently doing Jillian Michael's body revolution. It is 6 days a week but only 35 min videos and I am seeing amazing results! In 7 weeks -- 13 pounds, 2 dress sizes and crazy inches lost!) If finding time is your biggest challenge, try an early morning workout! You'll have better results working out in the mornings anyways. Jillian always says "Get out of your comfort zone!" It is so true! If you are uncomfortable and it is hard (like I want to die/puke/and quit).. IT'S WORKING! :) Don't give up on your goals! You can do it!

And the most important thing to remember... one bad meal isn't going to make you fat, but one good meal isn't going to make you skinner either. If you are completely craving pizza one night.. eat it. But only eat one slice and then get right back into healthy eating and exercise. Don't let the craving make you miserable. :)

Good luck!
  • andreyadonna
    Options
    thanks everyone, I used to do yoga every morning, I find myself incredibly self conscious doing it now. My SO I think wants to be supportive but the attention bothers me. I went to Zumba classes for a while too. I thought that was fun, Once again, I felt like the room was watching me. I started a couch to 5k program early last year, never finished it. I think maybe that's where I'll start. There's a nature trail not far from where I live that I could go use for running that no one would see me on. Ijust feel like anywhere I'm takng time to insert exercise is directly taking away from other parts of my life. And maybe that is just an excuse. You've given me things to reflect on.
  • saynay18
    saynay18 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You have to let go of being self conscious while exercising. And, after you've been at it for a few weeks, it will start getting easier, you'll feel less awkward and you probably won't care what you look like at the moment. If you start to feel self conscious, envision yourself 150 pounds in your wedding dress!

Two things I regret the most about my life: Being overweight during both of my pregnancies and my wedding. I should have done this sooner!

Just one more thing, then I'll shut up. I know what you mean about not liking the attention. In past attempts at my trying to lose weight, as soon as people would start to notice and comment....I would stop. But I'm handling it differently now. I'm not telling everyone about every healthy meal I eat or every workout I do...I'm keeping it to myself for the most part. When someone comments on my weight loss, I smile and thank them and say "i've been working hard", then change the subject. It's not one's business! lol
  • hollykirsten
    hollykirsten Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You could try a 20 min. workout video like 30 day shred. Its only 20 minutes of your day, so not taking too much time away from your family and its a killer workout! Ive been working out since June and have always been pretty athletic and 30 day shred really makes me sweat!
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    May I point you to this inspiring woman's blog?

http://www.livylove.com/

She lost 100 pounds in a year and looks awesome!
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    You dont have to find gym time to get in a workout.

Cleaning your house is a workout that will get your heart rate up and strengthen your muscles if you do it right. Don't do one thing and take a break, do everything without stopping, moving quickly. You will find that you spend less time, but more energy. And if you did it right, you might wake up sore the next day.

Don't sit on the couch while you're watching tv - do squats, lunges, crunches, calf raises, chair sits, anything that keeps you moving while you are watching your favorite shows.

You have a little one, use your kid as a weight. My mother used to do it with me to keep her legs and arms in shape. Do it often enough and it will turn in to a game your kid will like.

There are all kinds of little things you can do that don't involve finding separate time during the day to stop at a gym.
  • mom2my4boys
    mom2my4boys Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just wanted to say that 100lbs is very possible. I started out wanting to lose 100lbs. I've lost 75lbs in 9months. Keep pushing hard, you can do it :)
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    The time spent getting to and from a gym is a deal breaker for me. There are so many at-home programs out there that can get you excellent results. I'm currently on a Fitness Blender kick, just about to finish up their 4 week beginner low impact program and it's been a TON of fun. All their videos are free on YouTube. There are about a zillion other workout videos on YouTube, all free, for all kinds of workouts from strength to tabata to yoga to kickboxing. It's so much easier to carve out the time if you don't have to leave your house.

Good luck! You can do this! I wish I had lost the weight while mine were still small!
  • Leah_Alexis
    Leah_Alexis Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    You can do it if you focus and stay committed. If you want to lose the weight bad enough you have to make it happen. I too started making small changes - cut out fast food, stop drinking pop and juice, started making healthier food choices and watching my portion sizes. I started exercising at home on the treadmill then I got a membership at the gym. I work full time, a mother of two and a wife. I workout on my lunch at the gym Mon-Fri depending on my work load. My husband watches the kids a few times a week so i'm able to get additional workouts in during the evenings/weekends. There are tons of videos online that you can look into.
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone, I used to do yoga every morning, I find myself incredibly self conscious doing it now. My SO I think wants to be supportive but the attention bothers me. I went to Zumba classes for a while too. I thought that was fun, Once again, I felt like the room was watching me.
    Heh I'm the same way. I used to go to the gym with the hubby and he'd be all relaxed stretching out and doing his thing and I'd be imaging every single eye in the room looking at me lol.

Yeah I ban the hubby from the room when I do my Zumba.
  • andreyadonna
    Options
    I just realized, there's a middle school running track less than a block from me. I bet I could go use that no problem. I'll just have to get up earlier.
  • cassika1
    cassika1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It's possible. I'm lowcarb (Keto) and I walk everywhere. When I decide to lose weight, I lose it fast. I found what works for me but you need to find what works for you. Then take it one day at a time. Don't look into the future and drive yourself crazy. Creating big goals can make you fall off the wagon. Just focus on the day you are in... nothing more. You can do this.
  • EatTrainWin
    EatTrainWin Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Ijust feel like anywhere I'm takng time to insert exercise is directly taking away from other parts of my life. And maybe that is just an excuse. You've given me things to reflect on.

Exercise will enhance every other part of your life. Don't worry about gym people looking at you. Most of them are concentrating on their own self-improvement to bother looking at anyone else in the gym. Do it for you and your son and SO will benefit, too.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I dont do a lot of formal exercise, just an occasional walk. I am on my feet at work, and watch my 3 year old grandson twice a week. I still lose.
  • Brianne333
    Brianne333 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I want to lose 100 in the next year also. And you know what? WE CAN DO IT! at the very least, I bet we can get close if we work hard and stick to it. It sounds like despite your schedule you're still making it work so keep it up!! :)
  • wozkaa
    wozkaa Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I start off by just focusing on my diet.
    You can lose weight without going to the gym, and just getting a good brisk walk in every other day, either before or after work, or on a lunch break (if you have one). Heck, you can lose weight without excercise but it does help in many different ways.