Talk About Protein Powder

Options
ticribbs
ticribbs Posts: 120 Member
I'm sure there might be a thread that answers this I just haven't found it. But why/when would start using protein powder? What is the best chocolate flavor protein powder and what's your favorite way to consume it (mixed with water, as a shake, in with food etc etc). Thanks!

Replies

• Rehobobound
    Rehobobound Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    We drink protein shakes after working out at my house. Generally, I like to make a smoothie with fruit out of it and the guys just mix with water and toss it down (gross!). I can't help you with chocolate flavors as we like the Gold Standard Ice Cream flavor. Also, I've added plain, tasteless, protein powder to veggie smoothies for a boost. I have had a protein shake in the evenings if I don't get enough protein in during the day. Hope this helps.
  • Ncylve
    Ncylve Posts: 7
    Options
    I used to use pumpkin seed protein powder. I heard disturbing things about whey and soy as sources. Also, the hemp powder started messing with my digestion. The pumpkin seed powder took less for an 8 oz portion and gave a higher percentage of protein. It was flavorless so I could add whatever flavor I want.
  • Staniel_2013
    Staniel_2013 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    As far as why and when that is kind of up to you and your goals. May help if you share those?

I just started using one again, MusclePharm Combat from Costco (love that store). I'm doing a calorie deficit but doing heavy strength training as it helps me with muscle retention and also recovery.

*Edit - The powder helps with muscle retention and recovery because of the protein, felt my statement was a little odd.

As far as flavors, I've always aim for things like vanilla, cookies and cream (current one I mentioned above) and banana, etc. I find them easier to have on their own plus you can mix them with other things easier. Never found a chocolate powder I liked.

Some people do protein shakes to just help them feel fuller with less calories too.
  • fittestpal
    fittestpal Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hydrolyzed whey after a workout is the best way to go to add protein to your diet. I use proto whey by BNRG
  • ticribbs
    ticribbs Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    As far as why and when that is kind of up to you and your goals. May help if you share those?

Right now my goals are weight loss and fullness. In the morning I typically drink a shake with a Carnation mix, banana, milk and ice. The Carnation is supposed to be loaded with vitamins and protein but I always seem starved by 10 or 11. I'd like to not feel so hungry in between breakfast and lunch. As far as weight loss I want to lose 11 pounds, I do 55 minutes of cardio every day.