Gaining weight while eating under calorie goal

Options
I'm so frustrated right now. I started calorie counting the end of Jan and by the end of Feb I've dropped 15 pounds. But in the last week, while still eating at a deficit, I've gained 3 lbs!! I'm so frustrated I don't know what to do. I've counted every food I've eaten, and I did have a cheat meal that put me over 500 calories one day, that doesn't explain the huge weight gain. Any advice or help is appreciated!!

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Well lets just say 15lbs in 5-6 weeks isn't bad at all..think about it...at least 2lbs a week...

Now...your diary is open so I took a peek.

You don't use a kitchen scale to weigh your solids...that can lead to under estimating your calories.

You now have just under 100lbs to go for goal weight so your weekly weight loss goal should be coming down to 1.5lb a week. That will give you a bit more calories...but you need to weigh to know exactly what you are eating.

I am going to address your exercise calories as well too because once you start weighing those come into play. Most machines and MFP over estimate burns so most suggest eating 50-75% of those back.

Now that being said weight loss is not linear....you will see ups and downs and then nothing then bam a bunch lost...don't get discouraged water weight, time of the month etc there are a lot of things that come into play.
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear, meaning a straight trajectory downward. You'll go up and down multiple times over a week, that's why most say not to weigh more often than that. Many things can affect it, fluid retention from too much salt, muscles holding water from exercising, being constipated even makes a difference.

I've found my body seems to run in cycles. I'll lose several pounds, then for 7-10 days I'll go up and down the same 2-3 lbs, then I'll lose several pounds, then nothing for another 7-10 days.

Are you taking measurements? I've also found that even when the scale isn't budging I'll be losing inches.

You're doing great so far! Just keep doing what you're doing and as long as you are within your goals the scale will start moving again. :happy:
  • Sionainn405
    Options
    I do weigh all my food and any exercise calories on there are from my fitbit.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Well lets just say 15lbs in 5-6 weeks isn't bad at all..think about it...at least 2lbs a week...

You don't use a kitchen scale to weigh your solids...that can lead to under estimating your calories.

You now have just under 100lbs to go for goal weight so your weekly weight loss goal should be coming down to 1.5lb a week. That will give you a bit more calories...but you need to weigh to know exactly what you are eating.

I am going to address your exercise calories as well too because once you start weighing those come into play. Most machines and MFP over estimate burns so most suggest eating 50-75% of those back.

Now that being said weight loss is not linear....you will see ups and downs and then nothing then bam a bunch lost...don't get discouraged water weight, time of the month etc there are a lot of things that come into play.

+1
  • Meekipanda
    Options
    Are you near that time of the month? It could be water weight. I have to be careful of what I eat around that time because the cravings do come.
  • Sionainn405
    Options

I do weigh all my food, and except for that one cheat meal I'm under my calorie count for the day so I would say my calories are pretty accurate. Why would I eat back the calories I burn from exercise? And those all come from my fitbit.
  • Sionainn405
    Options
    Are you near that time of the month? It could be water weight. I have to be careful of what I eat around that time because the cravings do come.

No I'm in the middle of my cycle.
  • gypsy_spirit
    Options

For Thurs, Fri. & Sat. you only have around 1099 cals logged. Is that correct? If so, why are you eating so low?
  • tiggerlgh
    tiggerlgh Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    As stated about weight loss isn't liner. If I knew how I would post my graph. Its mostly downward but every few weeks it ticks up and then drops down really quickly. Its a normal part of weight loss. Keep it up and the weight will start melting off again.
  • linkirving
    linkirving Posts: 121 Member
    Options

That addresses two of the theories people suggested. But keep the others in mind. Water weight, possible muscle gain, etc. Plateaus like this are a part of the process. As others have said, weight loss is not linear. Just stick with it and don't get discouraged.
  • Sionainn405
    Options

For Thurs, Fri. & Sat. you only have around 1099 cals logged. Is that correct? If so, why are you eating so low?

Those are the days I work, I'm an ER nurse and work nights 12 hour shifts, so I basically get up have my breakfast, at work I snack on jerky and carrots, have my lunch of chicken and brussels sprouts go home and go right to bed. I usually eat less on my work days since I don't go home and have dinner. Sleep is way more important.
  • Sionainn405
    Options
    I know weight loss isn't linear and I've had ups and downs before, just not this big of a gain for so long. I expected my weight loss to slow down a bit but not to gain while I'm sticking to my goals. Thanks for all the similar stories. It's just frustrating since I've finally got my crap together and I've been sticking to it for once.
  • gypsy_spirit
    Options

Those are the days I work, I'm an ER nurse and work nights 12 hour shifts, so I basically get up have my breakfast, at work I snack on jerky and carrots, have my lunch of chicken and brussels sprouts go home and go right to bed. I usually eat less on my work days since I don't go home and have dinner. Sleep is way more important.

Got it. My sister is a nurse - so you don't have to explain that life to me. Why not do this - instead of worrying about each day- make sure that you are at your calorie goal for the week? Average all 7 days out. That way you can eat a little more on the days you are home and it will help you nutritionally over the course of a week. That's what I do. I have been doing it for about 21 months and have lost 100 pounds in that time. Sometimes it's about finding something that works for you. Just take my one bit of advice and eat to fuel your body. 100 pounds is a long time and you can do some serious damage under eating. Very best of luck!
  • Sionainn405
    Options

Got it. My sister is a nurse - so you don't have to explain that life to me. Why not do this - instead of worrying about each day- make sure that you are at your calorie goal for the week? Average all 7 days out. That way you can eat a little more on the days you are home and it will help you nutritionally over the course of a week. That's what I do. I have been doing it for about 21 months and have lost 100 pounds in that time. Sometimes it's about finding something that works for you. Just take my one bit of advice and eat to fuel your body. 100 pounds is a long time and you can do some serious damage under eating. Very best of luck!

But I'm under my calorie count every day, except for one cheat meal on Tues. I'm doing paleo so my nutrition is much better than it used to be and I eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm not. It's been amazing getting rid of processed food. Granted it's a lot more cooking and weighting and stuff but it makes it easier to stick to the calories. Thanks for the help!
  • gypsy_spirit
    Options

But I'm under my calorie count every day, except for one cheat meal on Tues. I'm doing paleo so my nutrition is much better than it used to be and I eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm not. It's been amazing getting rid of processed food. Granted it's a lot more cooking and weighting and stuff but it makes it easier to stick to the calories. Thanks for the help!

I'm sure as a nurse you understand the ramifications of eating around 1000 cals, exercising and making your calorie deficit even larger by not eating back those calories. If you only had a few pounds to lose - no problem. But when you will be doing this for a long time, it takes a toll on your body. That was my only point.
  • Sionainn405
    Options

I'm sure as a nurse you understand the ramifications of eating around 1000 cals, exercising and making your calorie deficit even larger by not eating back those calories. If you only had a few pounds to lose - no problem. But when you will be doing this for a long time, it takes a toll on your body. That was my only point.

I eat between 1100-1300 calories a day and right now the only exercise I'm getting is from work, that's what my fitbit exercise is from. I'm getting plenty of fat and protein making it easier to lose weight while staying healthy.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Your diary says differently...

2 servings of this, 1 serving of that, 12 tbsp of this, 24 nuts, 1 medium apple...

Those of us who say that are just giving advice on what we see in your diary.

Logging accurately isn't just about weighing solids and measuring liquids it's about choosing correct entries (non user entered) or entering the information into a recipe and using that.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    Op, you have been given some very good answers to your question here. If you want to better understand I suggest that you think about what they said instead of arguing. You are doing very well so far. When I was losing weight I never lost 15 pounds in two weeks, my weight loss was turtle speed compared to yours. Trust.
  • Sionainn405
    Options

Your diary says differently...

2 servings of this, 1 serving of that, 12 tbsp of this, 24 nuts, 1 medium apple...

Those of us who say that are just giving advice on what we see in your diary.

Logging accurately isn't just about weighing solids and measuring liquids it's about choosing correct entries (non user entered) or entering the information into a recipe and using that.

How is any of that not measured? I'm sorry if you don't see it, but everything is measured, from nuts to carrots to jerky to chicken. That's how I create my recipes and my entries.
  • Sionainn405
    Options
    Op, you have been given some very good answers to your question here. If you want to better understand I suggest that you think about what they said instead of arguing. You are doing very well so far. When I was losing weight I never lost 15 pounds in two weeks, my weight loss was turtle speed compared to yours. Trust.

How am I arguing? I've thanked people for their input but tried to clarify some misconceptions that people have brought up. Especially when it is 100% inaccurate.