DO CHEWING SOUNDS DRIVE YOU CRAZY?

Options
124»

Replies

• Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    You are not alone!!!

I also am annoyed thoroughly by people who snore when they are awake. You ever meet some one who breaths really heavily through their nose?
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I'm very sensitive to noises. I do leave the room sometimes and will often go do something else before someone eats certain foods because I know it will drive me crazy. But those of you yelling at your pets for licking-realize you are creating the same distress in them that you yourself experience because you, someone they love, are yelling at them for something they naturally are supposed to do and is a part of their self-care. They have no way of understanding why their baths are bothersome to you. You are mystifying them. I really do get how bothersome this can be, but the world isn't going to stop around us, so we have to find ways to deal. Animals will go for their lady parts whether you are at home, at work, or have the president over for dinner.
  • lauly101
    lauly101 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Yes! It gets me to almost panic attack level, makes my insides crawl my scalp sweat and drives me to the point of tears. Its eating sound, mouth sounds (about sniffing down throat, slurping, cutlery on teeth etc.) As well as repetitive mechanical noises like typing (most panic inducing for me) ticking of clocks, beeping and vibrating. I used to be 'scared' of the washing machine but now I realise it was just panic attack starting. I've got worse recently, it's meaning making me so unhappy lol. I think part of the reason I've put on weight (and I'm not just passing accountability) is when I moved in with my husband. I eatr when he eats too mask the sound and because he's thin and eats loads I've put on weight. That and me being lazy and greedy.
  • Kimber250
    Kimber250 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    oh hell yea! my 8 year old step daughter just had a sleep over the other night. The other girl took F-o-r-e-v-e-r to eat her pizza during the movie, and was smacking it and eating her mouth open... holy cow, I never knew I was such a control freak until that~ oofta!
  • ScifiGirl1986
    ScifiGirl1986 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    For most of 2013, I lived in close proximity to 4 really loud chewers. At dinner it was like surround sound--and the really good Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound. Awful. It drove my mom and me crazy. I don't know what they did, but it sounded like someone put a microphone to their mouths when they chew because I have never heard people chew like that. For instance, my grandmother slurps roast beef! How the hell do you slurp roast beef? It is a solid. smh. Then, there is my cousin, who swallows so loud it must hurt.

The worst, though, was at night. Every night without fail, my aunt and my grandmother would have a snack at 10 pm and have chewing contests--at least that's how it sounded, as if they were trying to outdo each other. My mom had to sit there with her hands over her ears because they were so loud. At one point, my aunt realized it bothered us and started chewing louder (she did it to annoy us and would yell if we asked her to stop because we had no right to be there in the first place--we were staying on her floor because our floor was destroyed in Hurricane Sandy).

Normal chewing doesn't bother me, though.
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Nom Nom Nom !!!!
  • hotmomma0612
    hotmomma0612 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Absolutely.... I hate it! Grosses me out. I have to leave.
  • ScifiGirl1986
    ScifiGirl1986 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I can take it to the next level...I hate most bodily noises. My husband seems to broadcast out loud everything- he has allergy and sinus issues and he swallows loudly. He smacks his lips a a lot too. He coughs and hacks constantly. I don't notice this so much with other people, just him. Maybe it's about him....

I hate the sound of constant sneezing- like you think the person is done and they just do it again...and again...and again. Annoys me to no end, HOWEVER, I realize that they are not doing it on purpose.

My aunts are both heavy smokers and have a lot of mucus every morning because of it. They constantly have to clear their throats and throw up mucus. I don't get how they think smoking is worth it, especially since they're killing everyone around them with that crap. Anyway, the sounds are so disgusting and they are completely at fault for them. Had they never smoked they would not make those noises (my dad quit smoking in 1983 and he has the same problem, although to a lesser extent). I feel completely justified in asking them to leave the room because they did this to themselves. I have no pity for someone who so callously chose to harm everyone around them.
  • Cli3225
    Cli3225 Posts: 31
    Options
    Yes!really irritates me haha
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Not eating sounds. Beeps and buzzes (microwave, alarm clock, EBS, etc.) do. My BIL has his alarm set for 6am and it beeps for 45 seconds every 2 minutes. He doesn't turn it off until 10am, if he bothers at all. My MIL always has to have a tv on no matter where she is in the house. At least once a week, she has 3 tvs going on the same show at the same time AND THEY ARE ALL OUT OF SYNC BY 2-3 SECONDS, so I get this effed up, echo location going on in my head. In my head, I get violent dreaming about ripping the plugs out of the sockets and throwing tvs and clocks out into the street, but I don't. I put on my noise-blocking headset and turn on some music.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I am sensitive to many sounds, including this kind of sound, because I have Asperger's and it is often a part of that diagnosis, along with sensitivity to certain smells, textures and tastes.
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Ha, ha! I've heard of this before, too. I researched it because it drives me crazy. Some people chew really loud. My hubby eats loudly (teeth chomping) and I have to put music on during dinner time or I'll go insane. It seriously sounds way louder than I'm sure it is and it's like it is drilling into my brain.

There are other people who I hate eating around, too. It's so weird. As another poster mentioned 'quiet' noises in other situations also bug them. It's like that for me, too. The fridge, a ticking clock, and so on will sometimes sound very amplified to me and annoy me. Again, I need music or some other distracting sounds to drown out the noises.
  • fittestpal
    fittestpal Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    That sounds like some real first world problems... people just make up **** to complain about lol
  • SugarBaby71
    SugarBaby71 Posts: 3,630 Member
    Options
    I actually did think that nobody else had this. I often eat alone at home because I cannot stand the sounds. Honestly, I am tense just thinking about it!!!