Getting headaches when I wake up

Options
Hello, hello!
I'm fairly new here. I joined a few years ago, lost some weight and got unmotivated. This time i'm doing things differently and more excited than ever before to reach my goals.

I lost some weight (it only says 1 pound, however I bought a new scale 2 days ago. I thought I started at 190 pounds but I must have started higher because the old scale says i lost more weight and this newer one says i'm at 188.8 now but i'm just going by the new scale now)

With that being said, I've been getting headaches when waking up 3 days in a row now.I am indeed migraine prone, so i'm not sure if it has something to do with that or if i'm not eating enough calories, i'm not eating enough x, y or z, ect ect.

I recently lowered my calorie intake, I was eating 1700 calories average last week, then I went down to 1400 this week because I haven't been able to get to the gym as often as i'd like (they're always closed when I can go after work and school) I do make sure I am drinking enough water, I always drink a glass or two before bed anyways because if I don't I usually get a migraine the next day. Also, I know my eating isn't the best, however I do feel like it's a change from before and i'm slowing myself into a way better lifestyle.

Has anyone else had this problem as well?

Replies

• VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I find that if I eat a bit before going to bed those headaches were gone. If you stop eating early in the evening then go to sleep you could be fasting for something like 12 hours.

Do the headaches go away after you've eaten something in the morning? If so try a before bed snack or eating ASAP upon waking.
  • Bammitssamm
    Bammitssamm Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I ate a tangerine last night before going to bed, I wasn't very hungry though, I just felt like having something fresh if that makes sense haha

Yesterday I had breakfast and a coffee, and I still felt like crap at work. In the past I found when I feel sick, even though i'm really not hungry and I have to force myself to eat, it gives me the energy to carry on. With that being said, I then made myself a crepe and I felt a lot better. I felt sick a few hours after again, until I ate lasagna for supper (at that point I was really hungry though) my headache was completely gone until this morning.
  • Bammitssamm
    Options
    I also want to add that I used to eat a lot of carbs until I started counting my calories. My carb intake did go down quite a bit so I don't know if it's that much of a shock to my body or whatnot.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Regarding the headaches, try cutting out wheat, dairy, and sugar for two weeks. It should help.
  • Bammitssamm
    Options
    NOOOO NOT DAIRY :( lol actually it shouldn't be THAT hard because I found I cut it down already.

As for the wheat and sugar though, I think those will be the harder ones. I'm definitely going to give it a try though. The hardest part is trying to find replacement foods for that.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I am prone to migranes as well...how much water do you drink in total during the day? I aim for minimum of 8 glasses and 8 hours of sleep. Does caffeine help any for you? I don't drink coffee and would prefer not to drink pop with caffeine....so that leaves chocolate (my favorite thing anyway), I keep kisses and foil covered chocolate in the freezer and just suck on one to help my cravings....it also helps with headaches.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    It could be the lowering of carbs. Try cutting back on them gradually instead of all at once and see if that helps.

Also, your neck might be out of place. How does it feel when you turn your head to the side? Can you turn it all the way to each side without pressure? I get a LOT of migraines when my neck is just out. A trip to the chiropractor and some stretches can help.
  • BigTireFlipper
    BigTireFlipper Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Do you have high blood pressure? (when was the last time it was checked?)
  • Bammitssamm
    Options
    I am prone to migranes as well...how much water do you drink in total during the day? I aim for minimum of 8 glasses and 8 hours of sleep. Does caffeine help any for you? I don't drink coffee and would prefer not to drink pop with caffeine....so that leaves chocolate (my favorite thing anyway), I keep kisses and foil covered chocolate in the freezer and just suck on one to help my cravings....it also helps with headaches.

I can't drink sodas, they give me really bad migraines (which in a way is good because then I definitely keep far away from them!) Chocolate gives me migraines too sometimes. I usually take codeine with caffeine though when my migraines start.

I try to log all my water into my diary, but I usually drink a lot more since i'm not too fond of juices and I can't drink soda. Water is pretty much all I drink, besides milk, but I haven't had a glass of milk in a long time.
  • Bammitssamm
    Options
    It could be the lowering of carbs. Try cutting back on them gradually instead of all at once and see if that helps.

Also, your neck might be out of place. How does it feel when you turn your head to the side? Can you turn it all the way to each side without pressure? I get a LOT of migraines when my neck is just out. A trip to the chiropractor and some stretches can help.

Yeah sometimes when i'm stressed my neck gets really sore and I get migraines, however this isn't the case. It's not really a migraine though, just an annoying headache lol
    Do you have high blood pressure? (when was the last time it was checked?)

I'm on my way to the gym now, there's a pharmacy next door so I'll go get it checked out. It's a possibility that I didn't even think about!
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I recently lowered my calorie intake, I was eating 1700 calories average last week, then I went down to 1400 this week because I haven't been able to get to the gym as often as i'd like (they're always closed when I can go after work and school)

You might not be eating enough. MFP's calorie count for you is a deficit whether you exercise or not; exercising just helps you burn more calories (and build muscle and be healthier and all kinds of good stuff). You should be netting 1700 calories every day, so if you don't exercise, it means eat 1700 calories. If you do, it means eat back enough exercise calories to get you back to 1700.
  • timetravelforfitness
    timetravelforfitness Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I agree with the poster who said you might not be eating enough. Especially if you've cut a lot of carbs. Have you been tracking your macros? I find that if I don't eat enough fat I get terrible headaches, and given your reaction to "no dairy" I wouldn't be surprised if we had similar diets.

I have found my way around my own problem by having a glass of 2% milk (which I have in the house for the kids anyway) or a not-fat-free yogurt occasionally. I can feel a headache coming on, and these usually curb them. Every body is different, but this does work for me, it might be worth seeing if you're a little light on fat the days before you get a headache.
  • RespiratoryScot
    RespiratoryScot Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I think I am reading that the headaches are somewhat new. If you have a history of headaches that start in the morning (not every morning, but often), you should also consider the possibility of sleep apnea.

If they are new since changing your food habits, then feel free to turn this post into a paper airplane!
  • nicholegerber
    Options
    I had the same thought..
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Cutting wheat/dairy/sugar will only help if you have a sensitivity to those foods.

If eating helps the headache go away, it may just be low blood sugar.
  • Cath_Taylor
    Cath_Taylor Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Is there a possibility you could be pregnant?! My sister found out she was pregnant with my nephew before she missed her first period because of morning headaches alongside feeling crappy & later came nausea... sorry if it's not the case but at 22 it's another consideration worth thinking about?!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Are you having any other symptoms besides headaches?

Could be low blood sugar. Do you feel better after you eat?

Could also be sleep apnea. People with SA frequently wake up with headaches.
  • Bammitssamm
    Options
    Is there a possibility you could be pregnant?! My sister found out she was pregnant with my nephew before she missed her first period because of morning headaches alongside feeling crappy & later came nausea... sorry if it's not the case but at 22 it's another consideration worth thinking about?!

don't scare me like that! haha I shouldn't be pregnant.. I just had my period last week and my poor boyfriend has been pushed aside for the moment LOL but in the future I'll definitely keep that in mind if these things are happening again.

I didn't realize the deficit that MFP already gives, so in that case if I probably should be eating more in that case. That seems like the most possible explanation as the headaches and sickness only started after I lowered my calorie intake to 1400.

I had checked my blood pressure as well as one poster asked right before I went to the gym, and it said that I have "optimal" blood pressure.

Today was my cheat day as it was my dad's birthday (I let myself have some pasta and a slice of oreo cheesecake. mmmm) but i'm going to be eating normal starting again tomorrow, and i'm going to boost it back up to 1700 calories and i'll give an update how that's going.

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions, I love these forums. I never really post but I love lurking, some people have really helpful posts that I absolutely love.
  • Bammitssamm
    Options
    **update**

Since bringing my calorie intake up, i've had no more headaches :D

Thanks again for all the help!
  • timetravelforfitness
    timetravelforfitness Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Yay! Hope they continue to stay away! Little is as disheartening as being in pain more days than not.