I can't get back on track...

Options
Hello Everyone,

My name is Michelle Santana I am 26 years old, born and raised in NYC. I had Gastric Bypass Weight loss Surgery when I was 20 Years old weighing 300+ pounds. My weight went down to 165 at my lowest. I looked great, I felt great, and most importantly I was healthy and active. The past 2 years have been an emotional rollercoaster for me for reasons I will not disclose at the moment. My weight has gone up to 250 the last time I checked. I am pretty tall standing at 5’9 and when I tell people how much I weight they do not believe it…. For the past year I have been trying to get back into my old active lifestyle… I was even training for a marathon at one point when I was in college. I started going back to the gym, I did that for about 2 weeks, one day I didn’t go and I never went back until about 4 months after for one day. I don’t know what’s wrong with me.. I can’t seem to get it together… I know what to eat, what not to eat… I have all this knowledge but I can’t seem to apply it and stick with it. Can anyone help?

Replies

• Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    When you are ready to do the work, you will do the work. It's up to you to get ready.
  • kenziest
    kenziest Posts: 8
    Options
    I have no answers, but just want to wish you the best. I'm struggling too. That phrase, "fake it 'til you make it" keeps going through my head.
  • apeydawn423
    apeydawn423 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    It's very true, mentally you are stopping yourself from doing this......No one but you, can change that.. I've been trying for years and I think i'm finally mentally ready to do it. So I've sat down I've looked at the numbers, I've taken stock of myself..... Only you can take stock of your life and decide you are ready!
  • Miss_TeaPot
    Miss_TeaPot Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Don't worry. I have that problem myself. Try not to stress on it so much. Everyone is different. Some people and just wake up one day and suddenly change their lifestyle. Some people need baby steps. You just have to figure out what works for you. We all fall, we all fail at some point but we stand up and try, try again.
  • lisamatsonernst
    Options
    Hi! I have not had bastric bypass, but I have been struggling to lose weight. I'm at point now where I feel like it's now or never. So, I keep trying new workouts. I figure, if I love what I'm doing, I'm going to do it. :) What kind of workouts do you like? Are you looking for a special eating plan for people you have had a bypass surgery?
  • paigenevaeh
    paigenevaeh Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It is hard! I suffer from BED and I have had the worst week, a part of me just feels like "what's the point?" It just takes motivation, and time. Weight loss and getting a healthy lifestyle can be slow.
    I'm re-starting my path to a healthy life, so I'd love to add you :) we can motivate eachother!
  • rabbit1057
    Options
    First off~ I'll start w/wishing you the very best w/your journey. As you stated~ you know what to eat & what not to eat. It's all about your mental state of mind. You & only you can determine what you will do. Think healthy. Remember that you felt better, looked better & probably received a ton of compliments. :) After struggling w/my weight for many years~ I decided to add it in my prayers. God has helped me to realize that I needed to make a change. I have quit smoking after 40 years, I have lost a total of 55 lbs. I go to the gym 6 days a week & workout @ home while I'm watching tv & playing games on my phone. God bless you & I'll be here encourage you. :)
  • gayray61
    gayray61 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    drink lots of water... fruits veggies, multi grains, nuts......Try adding a new song to your playlist to keep you going so you don't get bored of your music. walking is good.. I've lost 20 pounds just for walking everyday. I go on my running track that we have in town and walk 10 laps around the last line to make sure i'm getting a good walk. Ummmm...Oh! when you feel yourself doing the same thing everyday, try to switch up or try to make it harder so when your walking.. walk faster, then try jogging. Put catchy songs or songs with a beat and just go to the beat and you will get yourself lost in the music. by then it will be an hour before you know it....Oh I also smoke weed which will boost your metabolism and when your walking you will lose yourself even more in the music. I hope my little tricks helps... I eat at 10, 12, 2, 4 ,6 lol as long as you put the food that you eat and it don't go over your calorie count for the day you will lose weight even if you don't workout...I just lost 5 pounds for not going over my food limit without working out. You have to be consistent. Like people going on Facebook.
  • Gemini24K83
    Gemini24K83 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am having the same struggle. I started out doing so good. Now for the past month I've been soo off track. I have committed myself to a REBOOT! I'm starting slow a 30 day start over. Trying a new workout and getting my diet under control. When you are ready you will just do it no hesitation. Start with something small and work back up to your old activity level. Just don't give up.
  • lesteidel
    lesteidel Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Don't start trying to pick up at the same level you did when you were your healthiest.

Remember it was small changes that you made consistently that lost you the weight before.

Start small and ease yourself into it.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    No we can't help.

It's all upto you.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I think the gastric bypass in a way helps to bypass some of the work needed to learn to live with food. As women we have hormones and emotions that trigger unhealthy eating. I find for myself it's a daily struggle with eating healthy. Yeah, probably half my days aren't a struggle, but the half that are makes one want to throw their hands in the air and eat a big plate of pancakes with all the trimmings from dawn to dusk.

What I'm saying is stop beating yourself up. Yes, the bypass gave you a little edge to losing weight, but keeping it off is a daily work in process. Think of every day as a new day to start over. Who cares if one has 1000 start over days. I think every day doesn't need to be 100% to be successful. Every day I start with a healthy breakfast. If that's the only thing I do right that day my day was 33% more successful than it was for many many years.
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    One meal at a time - find friends here who have struggled like you, and overcame! You can do this. Log everything, get an accountability partner, and exercise like your life depends on it. You have to know you are worth it...YOU ARE!!!
  • becky4m
    becky4m Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I agree with the take it day by day. I also agree with, if you want it bad enough you will do it. There are days when I do NOT want to work out. I fight every step of the way. But when I am done, I am so glad I did it. You can do this. You need to alter that thought process, you HAVE to work out just like you have to eat/drink/shower/sleep. Find things you like to do. I personally have an elliptical in my bedroom that I HATE to use. It sits there. Do I use that as an excuse, no. I still don't use it, I run 3 miles a day and do HIIT dvds the 30 day shred. Find what makes you happy and stick with it.
  • quietair
    quietair Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this myself, still making friends and browsing the forum randomly, but I wish you the best. I've been 320+ pounds all of my adult life, being 6ft 5 covered it up somewhat, but I didn't start this weight loss until I found real motivation that applied only to me. Once that clicked for me, I started losing weight. I'm only 25 pounds down with 70 more to go, but I already feel changed. Being through this before, you know how that feels. All I can say (not knowing you) is for me, I didn't make the changes I needed to to lose weight until my heart was truly in it and not occupied with the emotional pain du jour. Healing whatever hurt you have might be the key to getting back on track.

I hope my rambling has helped you. :) Good luck!
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    as you can see there has been an out pouring of support here. maybe you can use that energy to spur you forward. getting some friends here who can hold you accountable can be a great motivater
  • Michelle2W
    Michelle2W Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    You might need to find a support group or talk to someone, to try and figure out why you overeat. Being overweight for a lot of people have very little to do with ,no knowledge, being lazy or lack will power. Somewhere along the way we turned to food to cope or to feel comfort. Having the surgery or working out to lose the weight is only a temporary fix. Once another stressful time is thrown our way, we'll turn to food to cope. In my experience anyway????
  • Michelle2W
    Michelle2W Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    It is hard! I suffer from BED and I have had the worst week, a part of me just feels like "what's the point?" It just takes motivation, and time. Weight loss and getting a healthy lifestyle can be slow.
    I'm re-starting my path to a healthy life, so I'd love to add you :) we can motivate eachother!

What's BED?
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options

What's BED?

Binge
    Eating
    Disorder