Weight loss wall.

Options
This is my third time trying to lose weight, and each and every time the same thing happens.
My usual weight is 13 stone or 182lbs (I think.)
After the first week, I lose loads. Literally about 10lbs.
I started my diet last Saturday, and had dropped to 12 stone 6 by Thursday.
Friday, I went up to 12 stone 8 and have stayed the same since.
I'm eating about 400 calories a day, am always way under my fat and carb goals, and am exercising regularly, so what's going wrong?
Every single time I get anywhere I hit this damn wall. I'm trying to tell myself to carry on but it's seriously hard when the scales have gone back up and I'm literally so famished that I'm finding it hard to go to work and be on my feet.

Replies

• graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Did you mean 1400?
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Did you mean 1400?

You beat me to it...

Assuming that you mean 1400 calories, you really should open up your diary it would be easier to see what might be going on.
    You need to remember that everybody is different and will lose at different rates, in addition your initial weight loss is likely water as it comes off quickly and easily.
  • jenschroll
    jenschroll Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Could you open up your diary so we can see what's in it?
  • EmilyT1994
    Options
    No it's roughly 400.
    I opened my diary.
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    No, she meant 400... This is not good. You need to eat more! You might try adding some fresh food, like fruits and vegetables, too. Did you let MFP set your calories goal? You should be eating at least that. And you can eat your exercise calories, too. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO STARVE YOURSELF TO LOSE WEIGHT! Listen to the nice people, we are trying to help you.
  • Heyyleigh
    Heyyleigh Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    when people post these ridiculous questions- and telling you they eat 400 calories a day- why bother commenting- good lord.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Wow. 400 calories for a 20 year old woman? That is way too little and you probably know that. You've been on MFP for a year. You probably also know that posts like this do not last long. Talk to your doctor.

ETA: If this is the 3rd time you've tried losing weight and have failed - you are doing something wrong. Please get some help. Until you do, this link will help you understand how healthy people lose weight:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • EmilyT1994
    Options
    Looking at it it's actually a lot more than 400, probably on average around 600-800.
    The problem is I am such a fussy eater, I have such limited food that I can stomach.
    So eating healthy for me is literally eating a small amount because there's no choice.

Heyyleigh - Exactly, why did you bother commenting? Do one.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Looking at it it's actually a lot more than 400, probably on average around 600-800.
    The problem is I am such a fussy eater, I have such limited food that I can stomach.
    So eating healthy for me is literally eating a small amount because there's no choice.

Still not enough to support your still growing brain and body. Please talk to someone. Take care.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Lady, eating that little will make your brain panic and think that you're starving. It will do it's best to make sure that isn't happening. . .which means it will make you want to eat ALL the food and unless you're a superhero, you will most likely eventually give in and binge and binge and BINGE. It is nearly impossible (without supplements) to get the minimum amount of vitamins and minerals that you need on less than about 1200 calories. Also, it takes more calories to support muscle than fat and your body is an expert at using its resources wisely. Eat too low beneath your BMR and it will want to conserve as many calories as possible by eating your muscles.

I know that it's exciting to think of our goal weight and how fantastic we will look, but I promise you that you will look worn out, flabby and miserable if you manage to reach your goal on 400 calories a day. You will be smaller absolutely! But you will lack muscle tone that allows us to appear healthy and BE healthy and your brain really will make you eat ALL the food.

If you just eat more and lose at a slower pace you will feel better, look healthier and learn how to eat in a way that you can sustain your entire life. At 400 calories a day, what is your plan for eating for the rest of your life when you reach your goal?

I have been losing a pound a week eating 1700 a day and I have ALL the energy. I am NEVER hungry. I don't do headaches, fatigue and sore muscles from not treating my body right. I am eating a moderate deficit to lose slowly while I learn how to eat for the rest of my life. You don't have to do this exactly how I am, but PLEASE do some research about nutrition and sustainable weight loss methods and at the very least: eat some more, please?
  • Heyyleigh
    Heyyleigh Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Therapy- MFP not the place for you.
  • Efflictim
    Efflictim Posts: 147 Member
    Options

^ the only advice needed in this post
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options

when people post these ridiculous questions- and telling you they eat 400 calories a day- why bother commenting- good lord.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options

Were you going for irony. . . or. . .???
This discussion has been closed.