Is this too much?

Options
So starting tomorrow I'll be doing an intense workout session. And this is what I'll be doing
Monday - Friday
-Zumba (1 hr)
- Belly off workout (50:00)
- Slim in 6; Burn it up (59:06)
- Upper body and waist ( 30 minutes)
- Strength training
- toning

Saturday - Sunday
- Zumba (20 minutes)
- Upper body and waist (30 minutes)
- Slim in 6; Ramp it up (47:53)

Before I was just doing Zumba Mon, Wed, and Fri for an hour with strength training and toning and I didn't do anything on the weekends.It wasn't really working so I wanted to amp it up and I want to make sure this was okay. And is it really bad to workout everyday?

Replies

• Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    So starting tomorrow I'll be doing an intense workout session. And this is what I'll be doing
    Monday - Friday
    -Zumba (1 hr)
    - Strength training
    - toning

Saturday - Sunday
    - Zumba (20 minutes)
    - Upper body and waist (30 minutes)
    - Slim in 6; Ramp it up (47:53)

Before I was just doing Zumba Mon, Wed, and Fri for an hour with strength training and toning and I didn't do anything on the weekends.It wasn't really working so I wanted to amp it up and I want to make sure this was okay. And is it really bad to workout everyday?

Are you planning on working out 3 hours a day, plus strength trianing M-F?

If so, that sounds like you're gonna get injured.
  • xNausicaa
    xNausicaa Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It wasn't going to be back to back. I was going to space it out through the day, but I guess that's still bad isn't it? :/
  • Marcia315
    Options
    I'm not a trainer, nor do I play one on TV, but it sounds like a lot to me.
  • tabby_123
    tabby_123 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    You're going to burn out so quickly, if not hurt yourself.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    If that is what it looks to be, and you intend on working out for over 3 hours a day, Mon-Fri, then yes, that is too much. That is excessive. You will bugger up your hormones and probably the rest of your system too. Plus, you will be prone to injury and a prime candidate for overtraining which can be most unpleasant. It is totally not necessary to do that much. Some of the best results I have seen on here have emerged from short but intense workouts, such as HIIT or tabata, combined with weight training.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    It's fine to work out everyday. Just make sure you eat enough.
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's bad. The way we sit around all day is bad, not physical activity. I think as long as you space out heavy weight training so that muscles get recovery time then you're good. Cardio is just moving around which we should be doing everyday anyhow.
  • stephaaniemarie
    stephaaniemarie Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Looks like a good plan to burn out. Give it a try I guess, but I think you'll end up injured and/or exhausted.
  • ChrysalisCove
    ChrysalisCove Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    This looks like you are putting yourself at very high risk of an injury... not to mention burnout! Remember, the #1 rule of a permanent lifestyle change is sustainability. Unless you can keep up 3+hrs of exercise 7 days a week (which is unlikely even if you were a fitness instructor) this is not a sustainable program. Be patient with your body, be kind to it. It will return the favor :-)
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    If "it's not working," you would do better to analyze your eating. Exercise is good for fitness but weight loss is all about the food. You don't need to kill yourself working out. I didn't even know people had three hours a day for exercise.
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Why do you think you need 3+ hrs of exercise five days a week plus exercise on Sat and Sun? What are your goals?

I think you could use your time more efficiently. This much exercise puts you at risk for overtraining, I don't see any days where you incorporate rest for muscle repair.
  • xNausicaa
    Options
    If "it's not working," you would do better to analyze your eating. Exercise is good for fitness but weight loss is all about the food. You don't need to kill yourself working out. I didn't even know people had three hours a day for exercise.

I cut down on my eating too. I have healthy carbs and fats, protein and a bunch of fruits and veggies
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    It is great that you are so enthusiastic about working out and getting fit. I was the same not so long ago and had all these plans to do an hour of cardio plus 1.5 hours of weight training every day but in all honestly - there is just not enough time in a day to fit it all in.
    Do you have a job, a family? I think you will find that a) you will be exhausted within the first week and b) you simply wont' have time.

And yes, you will have a high risk of injury if you over-do it too quickly. A better plan is to alternate each of those excersises on a daily basis so you don't exhaust yourself or get bored.
  • Marcia315
    Options
    I want to know someone finds time to work out more than 3 hours a day....
  • xNausicaa
    Options
    Okay, so I guess my plan wasnt so healthy.
    It wasn't necessarily the time, I just choose a few of my workout DVDs and says I'll just do them.

Is there anyway you guys think I should revise Mon-Fri? I'm still going to do strength and toning (i always do that), but what should I do for my main workout?
    To keep our light and simple I'll just do yoga Sat-Sun.
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Maybe try:
    Zumba (or other cardio) 4-6x/week
    Strength training (30-60 min) 3-4x/week

Ensure you let the muscles you train for strength rest for a day before training them again.
  • xNausicaa
    Options
    I want to know someone finds time to work out more than 3 hours a day....

Believe it or not, I definitely have a lot of free time.
  • Cath_Taylor
    Cath_Taylor Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Here's a story, one which you should learn from...

June 2007 I was 4 years post cancer treatment & decided to "ramp up" my training and decide to do a Half Ironman triathlon. The training was 12 heavy months of 4+ hours a day. Mon-Fri consisted of at the very least swim & bike or swim & run as well as alternate days weight training. Weekends was a whole different ball game with brick sessions of bike and run both days. One rest day per week (which invariably resulted in doing something else).

June 2008 I crossed the finish line for the half distance in 7hrs & 7 mins (cut off was 9 hrs so fairly respectable for a first timer). That day I quit running, I quit cycling and swimming. I quit exercising because I was burnt out. Mentally & physically I was a wreck... a skinny wreck, but a wreck all the same. 51/2 years later here I am now trying to lose the 100lb I gained.

The moral of the story is, unless you're an elite athlete whose life IS competition or you have a goal to achieve for a competition, there's no need for you to start a regime that is unsustainable & will likely see you burnt out & injured. It is a miracle I never got injured but then I was OCD about that!
  • FreshKrisKreash
    FreshKrisKreash Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I think that'd be fine a few days a week to add in. Just not every day.
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Soa re you saying you're going to be doing all this each day:

Zumba (1 hr)
    - Strength training
    - toning

Also what do you classify as 'toning'?