Is this a good strength training workout?

Options
Em7b5
Em7b5 Posts: 31 Member
Hi everyone,

I recently met with a trainer who suggested that I do a full body workout 2-3x a week. Do you think this workout covers everything?

Squats on smith machine - 20 lb bar with 10 - 25 lbs of extra weight - 2 sets of 10
Deadlifts - 20 lb bar with 15 lbs of extra weight - 2 sets of 10
One-armed row - 35 lb dumbbells - 2 sets of 10
Bicep curls - 25 lb dumbbells - 2 sets of 10
Tricep press on pulley machine - 42.5 lbs - 2 sets of 10
Shoulder press - 15 lb dumbbells - 2 sets of 10
Hammer curls - 25 lb dumbbells - 2 sets of 10
Flies for chest - 20 lb dumbbells - 2 sets of 10
Ab plank - hold for one minute
Side ab planks - hold for 30 seconds

I try to do the squats for 3 sets of 10, as I know they are a good compound workout.

I've been trying to do my workout with this schedule:
M - full body workout outlined by trainer
T - 40 minutes of elliptical or treadmill
W - 6 mile run
T - full body workout outlined by trainer
F - 6 mile run
S - rest
S - 6 mile run

I'm thinking about doing it this way:
T - 6 mile run
W - full body workout outlined by trainer
T - 6 mile run
F - full body workout outlined by trainer
S - rest
S - 6 mile run

What do you guys think?

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Did you come up with this or the trainer?
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Why are you squatting in the smith machine? The fixed path doesn't allow you the correct range of motion so a free barbell squat is preferable. Why is the deadlift and squat weight so low? If you can curl 25lbs I think you can probably deadlift more than 35lbs.
  • Em7b5
    Options

The trainer did; however, my session with the trainer was an introductory hour session to get my familiar with the free weights. I feel like I see the other gym patrons doing so many more exercises.
  • MB_Positif
    Options

The trainer did; however, my session with the trainer was an introductory hour session to get my familiar with the free weights. I feel like I see the other gym patrons doing so many more exercises.

Ok, I recommend ditching the trainer and look into Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength.
  • Em7b5
    Options
    Why are you squatting in the smith machine? The fixed path doesn't allow you the correct range of motion so a free barbell squat is preferable. Why is the deadlift and squat weight so low? If you can curl 25lbs I think you can probably deadlift more than 35lbs.

The gym doesn't have a squat rack that would allow me to do a free barbell squat. I suppose I could do squats with dumbbells? I'm also doing my deadlifts in the smith machine. I think that I'm using a sufficient amount of weight when I do my squats. I could probably add more on when I do my deadlifts, but I feel like it's really hard to get the form correct on those, so rather than injure myself, I try not to go too heavy.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    If you can curl 25 Lb dumbbells you should be able to DL way more than 35 Lbs....

I'd personally recommend Starting Strength or Strong Lifts if you want to do a true full body strength program. What you have listed is a bunch of unnecessary volume with whoever knows whether the weight is right for you.

All you need are squats, bench press, dead-lifts, overhead press, and cleans (I suppose you can sub rows (though I use rows as an assistance lift). Maybe throw in some pull ups and dips if you want to do some assistance work at this point, but it's really not necessary at this point in the game. Push those primary lifts to the max and you're all good.
  • bc2ct
    bc2ct Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    SMITH MACHINE>>>> ARGGGHHHH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHBLxCPmnVc
  • Em7b5
    Options

Ok, I recommend ditching the trainer and look into Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength.

Okay, I will research those. Thanks.

Until I am able to switch over into one of those programs, do you think that one day of rest (with a 6 mile run on those days) is enough recovery time between my current workouts? I'm eating at a deficit, so all of this strength training isn't going to build any muscle anyway, I just want to know if ramping it up would be overdoing it.
  • MB_Positif
    Options

Okay, I will research those. Thanks.

Until I am able to switch over into one of those programs, do you think that one day of rest (with a 6 mile run on those days) is enough recovery time between my current workouts? I'm eating at a deficit, so all of this strength training isn't going to build any muscle anyway, I just want to know if ramping it up would be overdoing it.

I only lift 4 days a week and do cardio occasionally.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options

Lol, I love that guy, he's hilarious!
  • Em7b5
    Options
    If you can curl 25 Lb dumbbells you should be able to DL way more than 35 Lbs....

I'd personally recommend Starting Strength or Strong Lifts if you want to do a true full body strength program. What you have listed is a bunch of unnecessary volume with whoever knows whether the weight is right for you.

All you need are squats, bench press, dead-lifts, overhead press, and cleans (I suppose you can sub rows (though I use rows as an assistance lift). Maybe throw in some pull ups and dips if you want to do some assistance work at this point, but it's really not necessary at this point in the game. Push those primary lifts to the max and you're all good.

Hmm, I will take note of the overhead press and cleans. I have a second gym membership that does have some bars that I think would allow me to do this. I will need to sign up with the trainer at that gym, so that I can be sure I am doing those correctly. I never attempt to do new exercises by myself, as I don't want to injure myself via my own incompetence, haha.

Thanks!

MB_Positif,

Do you do a full body workout 4 times a week?
  • MB_Positif
    Options
    I am doing a PHUL routine which is Power Hypertrophy Upper Lower. My two workouts incorporate compound lifts as well as accessory lifts that focus on upper and lower body. They are split into power days (high weight, low rep) and hypertrophy days (moderate weight, higher rep).

Edit: I lift at home with only free weights.
  • ATGsquats
    ATGsquats Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Do a real split and don't squat on the Smith, it's not natural.
  • Em7b5
    Options
    Do a real split and don't squat on the Smith, it's not natural.

What is a real split?

MB_Positif,

Is the PHUL approach found in one of the programs you recommended to me earlier? I've never heard of something like this.
  • MB_Positif
    Options
    Starting strength or Stronglifts will get you started. I still do all of the lifts from Stronglifts with accessory work added in.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Starting strength or Stronglifts will get you started. I still do all of the lifts from Stronglifts with accessory work added in.

This and her previous advice is all you need. PHUL is too advanced for a beginner.
  • MB_Positif
    Options

This and her previous advice is all you need. PHUL is too advanced for a beginner.

Agreed....I only mentioned PHUL because he asked what I was doing :)
  • the_dude00
    the_dude00 Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I recently met with a trainer who suggested that I do a full body workout 2-3x a week. Do you think this workout covers everything?

Squats on smith machine - 20 lb bar with 10 - 25 lbs of extra weight - 2 sets of 10
    Deadlifts - 20 lb bar with 15 lbs of extra weight - 2 sets of 10
    One-armed row - 35 lb dumbbells - 2 sets of 10
    Bicep curls - 25 lb dumbbells - 2 sets of 10
    Tricep press on pulley machine - 42.5 lbs - 2 sets of 10
    Shoulder press - 15 lb dumbbells - 2 sets of 10
    Hammer curls - 25 lb dumbbells - 2 sets of 10
    Flies for chest - 20 lb dumbbells - 2 sets of 10
    Ab plank - hold for one minute
    Side ab planks - hold for 30 seconds

I try to do the squats for 3 sets of 10, as I know they are a good compound workout.

I've been trying to do my workout with this schedule:
    T - 40 minutes of elliptical or treadmill
    W - 6 mile run
    T - full body workout outlined by trainer
    F - 6 mile run
    S - rest
    S - 6 mile run

I'm thinking about doing it this way:
    T - 6 mile run
    W - full body workout outlined by trainer
    T - 6 mile run
    F - full body workout outlined by trainer
    S - rest
    S - 6 mile run

What do you guys think?

I have no idea of where you are at now physically or what your goals are but at the surface I don't like you're workout. I would research strong lifts or starting strength like other suggested. Just make sure you learn appropriate form on compound exercises (bench, squat, deadlift, row).