Is this too much?

Options
2»

Replies

• xNausicaa
    xNausicaa Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Here's a story, one which you should learn from...

June 2007 I was 4 years post cancer treatment & decided to "ramp up" my training and decide to do a Half Ironman triathlon. The training was 12 heavy months of 4+ hours a day. Mon-Fri consisted of at the very least swim & bike or swim & run as well as alternate days weight training. Weekends was a whole different ball game with brick sessions of bike and run both days. One rest day per week (which invariably resulted in doing something else).

June 2008 I crossed the finish line for the half distance in 7hrs & 7 mins (cut off was 9 hrs so fairly respectable for a first timer). That day I quit running, I quit cycling and swimming. I quit exercising because I was burnt out. Mentally & physically I was a wreck... a skinny wreck, but a wreck all the same. 51/2 years later here I am now trying to lose the 100lb I gained.

The moral of the story is, unless you're an elite athlete whose life IS competition or you have a goal to achieve for a competition, there's no need for you to start a regime that is unsustainable & will likely see you burnt out & injured. It is a miracle I never got injured but then I was OCD about that!

Wow, thanks for that. I guess cutting down would be best. I'm glad nothing serious happened to you.
  • xNausicaa
    xNausicaa Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Maybe try:
    Zumba (or other cardio) 4-6x/week
    Strength training (30-60 min) 3-4x/week

Ensure you let the muscles you train for strength rest for a day before training them again.

Thanks, I try this for awhile and see if it makes a difference from what I'm doing now.(:
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Yep, way too much.

If it's not working, you need to re-evaluate your diet, not add more exercise. Do you weigh your food? Are you logging consistently and honestly? What are your macronutrient ratios? What's your calorie goal?

I agree with the above poster's schedule:

Cardio 4-6 times a week

Weight training 3-4 times a week, working muscle groups in turn so they have a chance to rest and repair.

No-one needs to do three hours of exercise a day unless they're an athlete.