Guys who don't like girls who lift

Options
Is it just me or is it just the guys who DON'T lift at all that don't like it when a girl does?

Replies

• Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    The men I know either love it (like my husband or good guy friends who are also into fitness) or they don't have an opinion one way or another. I haven't ever heard a man I know say they don't like girls who lift weights.
  • WontShareChocolate
    Options
    Is it just me or is it just the guys who DON'T lift at all that don't like it when a girl does?

It is not just you I have had numerous men make comments to me, mostly about how I will eventually look like a man....so far I've retained my femininity.
  • MizMiami305
    MizMiami305 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I think ALL guys like girls who
    LIFT their shirts up!! :drinker:
  • LTKeegan
    LTKeegan Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Guys who don't like girls who lift don't like strong women. And I'm always skeptical of men who don't like strong women.
  • fitmomforu
    fitmomforu Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Same with me. I haven't experienced anything negative yet, infact most guys I know think its great! :drinker: :flowerforyou: :wink:
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I don't like girls that lift more than I do :P
  • C00lCountry
    C00lCountry Posts: 282
    Options
    I as a guy think it makes a woman look good to a point.
    Some women take it to far and seem to drop to much fat and look to muscular.
    They could be taking other stuff to boost that.
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I don't know any guys who have an opinion about girls lifting. Besides if they did have one it's none of their business anyway; what I do with my body is my choice.
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Guys who don't like girls who lift don't like strong women. And I'm always skeptical of men who don't like strong women.

Interesting. Just the other day my partner and I were at a water park and an obviously fitness concious couple sat at the picnic table next to ours. The woman had an awesome physique - very toned and muscley but not "body builder" muscley more like bikini/fitness model muscley. Exactly what I hope to achieve one day. Well. basically my partner (who is overweight and does not excersise) made a sarcastic comment about her physique and said he hoped I didn't end up looking like that, and that women should look like women, and not like a man.

Of course I told him straight up that I was aiming to look exactly like she did and if he didn't like it too bad for him he could go right back to the 1950's if he wanted :)

Your post has made me wonder if he just doesn't like muscles, or if in fact he doesn't like strong, independant women full stop. He does make occasional misogynistic comments about women sometimes, so I think your post definately rings true.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Yes, you have the right to do anything you want with your body besides kill it of course, but expecting people to like your choices and what you do to your body is not rational.

Most women don't like feminized men and most men don't like masculine women. Yet for a woman to be masculine looking concerning weight lifting would usually require some steroids, even though there are exceptions and some natural women will look masculine without the use of steroids.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Of course those guys intimated if they have less physical presence than a woman. That's embarrassing.
  • BurnBabyyyBurn
    Options
    Thanks guys for your answers! I was afraid I wouldn't get any. I've seen/heard comments from guys that it's "gross" or "manly". Nothing has been said personally to me YET though.
  • BurnBabyyyBurn
    Options

Agreed!!! :D
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Anyone who judges others have insecurities about themselves - in this case about their own "look". Somewhere inside they are envious and this can manifest in them being jealous and try to "pull you down".
  • ATGsquats
    ATGsquats Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Usually those are guys are like rails and afraid girl are more physically fit than they are.
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Do what you want with your body. Do the things that make you happy. No one has the right to judge you and your choices. It's your life. If people do judge you, then they're not worth having around as they're unsupportive of the things that make you YOU and make you happy.

OK. So I have heard guys say "I hope you don't want to look like Michelle Bridges" etc. and at the time that really offended me because Michelle Bridges (Famous Australian TV Personality Personal Trainer on The Biggest Loser) is absolutely stunning and I would love to look like her! So I bit back saying "I am doing this for me, no one else. It makes me happy and I feel fit and healthy". Don't let narrow-minded and judgemental people any of your time. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but don't allow these opinions to impact on your own journey to health and happiness.
  • David_AUS
    Options
    Thanks guys for your answers! I was afraid I wouldn't get any. I've seen/heard comments from guys that it's "gross" or "manly". Nothing has been said personally to me YET though.

<= A well toned figure = gross? I bet these same guys are the ones that would trip over their own feet to get a photo with a bikini model or a "Flag Girl" at the drag strip.
  • David_AUS
    Options
    Do what you want with your body. Do the things that make you happy. No one has the right to judge you and your choices. It's your life. If people do judge you, then they're not worth having around as they're unsupportive of the things that make you YOU and make you happy.

OK. So I have heard guys say "I hope you don't want to look like Michelle Bridges" etc. and at the time that really offended me because Michelle Bridges (Famous Australian TV Personality Personal Trainer on The Biggest Loser) is absolutely stunning and I would love to look like her! So I bit back saying "I am doing this for me, no one else. It makes me happy and I feel fit and healthy". Don't let narrow-minded and judgemental people any of your time. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but don't allow these opinions to impact on your own journey to health and happiness.

<= I am curious these "guys" they do or don't think Michelle Bridges is attractive? If they think she is attractive then their actions are yelling so loud I cannot hear what they are saying :P